2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

Sorry, I disagree.  I'm realistic.  I have lived and died with my team for 40 years and never jumped on another bandwagon so I dare anyone to question my fandom.  Was I cheering for the Bengals to lose?  No way, but after it's over I'm slightly disappointed they won last night as we didn't really gain anything from it.  My franchise QB is gone for the season.    I'm not on the field playing my heart out and I'm glad the players and coaches aren't giving up, but I am now looking long term so the lowest possible draft pick gives my team a better chance in the years to come if used correctly with a pick or a trade for more picks.  I also disagree about the Jets.  IF Trevor Lawrence is a 15-year all-pro you RADICALLY change your team's future.  QB is, BY FAR, the most important position on the field and really good to great QB's can make your team a perennial contender.

Trevor Lawrence won't make your franchise competitive without a WHOLE lot of pieces around him, even if you think he might be a future HoFer...with the right team.  LOTS of "can't miss" QBs haven't panned out.

BUT...actually...the Jets probably shouldn't trade the pick, be it #1 or #2.  Which is contrary to my common feeling, but here's the deal:  Jets 2021 have 2 first, 1 second, and 2 third round picks.  2022, 2 more firsts, 1 second, 1 third.  And a ton of lower round picks so even *some* misses/busts won't hurt.  They might be able to rebuild a good bit in relatively short order.

Nahhh...it's still the Jets.

7 hours ago, Starlord said:

Sorry, I disagree.  I'm realistic.  I have lived and died with my team for 40 years and never jumped on another bandwagon so I dare anyone to question my fandom.  Was I cheering for the Bengals to lose?  No way, but after it's over I'm slightly disappointed they won last night as we didn't really gain anything from it.  My franchise QB is gone for the season.    I'm not on the field playing my heart out and I'm glad the players and coaches aren't giving up, but I am now looking long term so the lowest possible draft pick gives my team a better chance in the years to come if used correctly with a pick or a trade for more picks.  I also disagree about the Jets.  IF Trevor Lawrence is a 15-year all-pro you RADICALLY change your team's future.  QB is, BY FAR, the most important position on the field and really good to great QB's can make your team a perennial contender.

I understand.

I've been a Cowboys fan but have been rooting for them to lose since Jerry Jones brought his dumb "run the ball, keep the score close, and try to pull it out in the end" philosophy to the franchise. That's a great way to go 8-8 every season in this league.

I have more of a "run the score up, crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their cheerleaders" philosophy.

Maybe if JJ loses enough, he'll lose interest and sell the team.

Jerry's problem is he thinks he's competent to make the football decisions.  He isn't.   

So Mike Tomlin's grown tired of JuJu's selfish, childish pregame stunt of dancing on the other team's logo and says he'll talk to him.  Well DUH.  Apparently, some of the Bengals also decided to target him.  Well, yeah!! Can't blame them for it;  this wasn't like the coaching staff telling them to do it, this was a player inciting it.  Lots of us might remember TO dancing on the Cowboy star after a touchdown, then one of the Cowboys racing from the sideline to clean his clock.  Yeah, I think the Cowboy got thrown out, but come on.  There *are* limits.

Did it in Buffalo, did it in Cincy.  Steelers lose both.  Cause and effect?  That might be a bit much.  Contributing factor?  Seems rather likely.  Kind of the ultimate bulletin board material.

In other news, Dwayne Haskins might have just blown his career to pieces.  Caught at a gentleman's club after the Seattle game...maskless.  Discipline hasn't been set, but this is considered high-risk behavior...duh...and this is the *second* time he's violated the virus protocols.  Not like his performance level is that high, so this kind of dangerous, damaging, immature behavior is not going to sit well.  Washington just said they didn't plan to release him right now, but they're stuck between a rock and a hard place;  Alex Smith may not be ready to come back, and they're still looking at a playoff spot.  Once the season's over...???

10 hours ago, archer said:

I understand.

I've been a Cowboys fan but have been rooting for them to lose since Jerry Jones brought his dumb "run the ball, keep the score close, and try to pull it out in the end" philosophy to the franchise. That's a great way to go 8-8 every season in this league.

I have more of a "run the score up, crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their cheerleaders" philosophy.

Maybe if JJ loses enough, he'll lose interest and sell the team.

Well, a few years ago, in the Demarco murray era, they went different, get ahead by 3 tds at half, and come out passing all the time, despite averaging 5 yards a carry.

They would 3 and out a couple of times and it would a one score game halfway through the 3rd.

If you ever, an a moment of otherwise utter emptiness, wondered why the current NFC East leader couldn't manage something so seemingly simple as picking a team name, well, this artlcle suggests the answer:

https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/dan-snyder-claim-dwight-schar-media-leaks.html

We always figured upper management was rather dysfunctional;  I don't know if anything quite like this had been anticipated.

The interim head coach of the Detroit Lions and several others on the team's coaching staff will miss Saturday's game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after coming into contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19, the Lions announced Thursday.

A statement released on Twitter indicated that interim head coach Darrell Bevell, Lions defensive coordinator Cory Undlin, defensive line coach Bo Davis, defensive backs coach Steve Gregory and linebackers coach Ty Mckenzie would all be self-quarantining and unable to participate in the game. Bevell confirmed the news at a virtual press conference, stating that wide receiver coach Robert Prince would take over head coaching duties for the game.

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/531650-lions-coach-to-miss-game-due-to-covid-19-protocols

I guess the question here is just how much this will improve the Lions' performance: a lot or just a little?

I was goofing off in a very silly little computer game and got round to turning the Bucs-Lions game on...halfway through the first, no big deal right?

Wow, game over already pretty much.  Gash city.  2 drives, 10 plays, 160 yards, 2 TDs.  And Stafford hopped off and into the locker room.  Uhhh huh.  I may switch to a basketball game soon....

EDIT:  OK, it is over, and we're looking at a Rout of the Decade candidate.  

Bronco fans can relate to the misery the Lions are faced with.  What's worse, no QB or no coaching staff, the day after Christmas, with a team that's got no reason to play.  But hey, maybe the people playing fantasy who didn't have Kamara might have a chance if they have Brady....

EDIT 2:  Brady's first half passer rating, using the NCAA formula:  238.  The NFL rating uses the same factors, but some of them are artificially capped.  

Uh oh.  Browns are facing a VERY late positive test from a player.  Flight to play the Jets delayed while contact tracing is done.  This could be ugly, as contacts still have to be isolated for a few days...

In this year of covid, the Jets ending the year on a 3 game win streak would be completely fitting.

There probably is very little scheduling flexibility here.  For one thing, the close contact is still several days.  Then, you probably can't push it past Monday, MAYBE Tuesday, because everyone plays on Sunday in week 17.  That's not something they want to change;  they want every game that can count, to count.  Plus you don't want a short week (if the Browns, say, play Monday night in week 17) leading into the playoffs.  And I don't think Tuesday would be long enough anyway.

And yeah, this shouldn't be broad enough to postpone the game beyond Sunday night, and even that doesn't appear to be happening.  Still on for the early slot tomorrow.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

Ball don't lie!  Poor coverage combined with a terrible face mask to move, what, 40 yards in one play to set up the game winner.  Got to love the Raiders.
(As in the crass "hire the handicapped, they're fun to watch" sense.)

17 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Can anyone who saw the end of the Niners-Cards game explain the play calls for Arizona inside 2 minutes?

Yes, Tyler Murry is another QB, like Tua who can't actually read defenses and throw an accurate pass more then 5 yards. Sad, maybe not true, but seems so. So when you take the RPO (ie other team knows you cannot run ball due to time left) the play fake no longer holds LBs or draws up safeties if they are in the least intelligent. AZ's entire offense last night was him running the ball OR Hopkins or Fitzgerald making a great catch.

Wow.  Steelers were being touted as a top 3 team.  Now?  NO running game is killing them.  2nd lowest rushing yards on the season;  lowest yards per rush.  And it's really showing against Indy.  And Big Ben's downfield work is *poor*.  If you take out 2 completions as time expired in the first half, the passing game only generated 60 yards....but the running game couldn't manage *10*.  

Yes, the coronavirus is taking the Browns right out of the playoffs.  Ravens are methodically dismantling the Giants' defense to take over the spot...44 plays in the first half for 282 yards.

Bears and Chiefs are suffering post-eggnog hangovers?  

Kansas City escapes;  Atlanta remains incapable of closing.  Missed a tying 39 yard FG in the final seconds.

And the Browns probably lose as Mayfield gets sacked and fumbles, giving the Jets the ball in the red zone with 3+ minutes left, forcing the Browns to burn 2 TOs.  So the Browns are now down 7, under 3 minutes, 1 timeout.  Might not be impossible with starting wideouts, but....gonna be really tough.

And the Steelers wake up to take the lead, then the defense does enough to stop Indy...

Week 17 is looking very interesting indeed.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

The Steelers just look awful today. I would never have guessed they'd won 11 games this year.

On the other hand, let us never underestimate the ability of a Philip Rivers-lead team to blow a big lead in the second half.