Remakes/Reboots: What WOULD you wanna see redone?

Cygnia

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

I saw the film before I saw the series although I was aware of it. It might have been a better idea for Will Smith and Kevin Kline to play the other actor's role.

Better would have been the writers to have ever watched an episode of the series. I actually liked the casting of the 2 leads at the time. Will had the confidence/arrogance of West and Kline was a chameleon in his roles, so how about a role that allows him to play and actor excellent at adapting to roles.

wish they hadn't allowed Branagh to S#!t over a role made famous and given, in a lot of ways, gravitas by Michael Dunn. Not to mention the thoroughly disgusting General as the hench villain.

On 9/22/2019 at 12:44 PM, death tribble said:

I am one of those awful people who like Starship Troopers. But then I like the director. I have read the book and I understand why they did the film in the way they did. You can't show a lot of emotion if you have your actors covered in armour. I can and have watched the film multiple times. Would you like to know more ?

Just do what they did with RDJ in the Iron Man flicks
and if you cannot act with your ,voice you cannot act

On 9/22/2019 at 6:32 PM, Pariah said:

I would like to see a remake of Starship Troopers that wasn't a complete middle finger to the original book.

As far as The Princess Bride is concerned, I think anyone who suggests a remake should be put into the Zoo of Death.

(It's possible that I'm a little opinionated where these movies are concerned.)

I could see a cgi of the RUS and that is about it

On 9/22/2019 at 9:32 PM, Pariah said:

I would like to see a remake of Starship Troopers that wasn't a complete middle finger to the original book.

As a big fan of Robert A. Heinlein  I agree the movie sucked on many levels.
   But on reflection and after hearing of Virginia Heinlein’s medical bills I now sooth my soul by watching the film and whenever that Norwegian military hating son of a slag writer/director fraks up the story I just hear the sound of a cash register and see all her bills being stamped PAID.

18 hours ago, Beast said:

Just do what they did with RDJ in the Iron Man flicks
and if you cannot act with your ,voice you cannot act

It amuses me that people say this when Starship Troopers came out in 1997 and iron Man was 2008. even in a decade technology advances can be substantial. I would also point out with one person this might work but all the troopers are in the armour so it would be harder to tell in a film who was who. There is a world of difference between something like V for Vendetta where you have one protagonist in a mask and having vast majority masked.

On 10/16/2019 at 2:34 PM, death tribble said:

It amuses me that people say this when Starship Troopers came out in 1997 and iron Man was 2008. even in a decade technology advances can be substantial. I would also point out with one person this might work but all the troopers are in the armour so it would be harder to tell in a film who was who. There is a world of difference between something like V for Vendetta where you have one protagonist in a mask and having vast majority masked.

Fallacy.

By this logic no one could follow any movies with full armor ( knights, etc), fighter aircraft after WW1 or any drama with a motorcycle helmet.

Not to mention the repeated scifi movies where the characters are where full face helmets.

Starship Troopers power armor is BIG compared to the wearer/pilot.  And based on our history, once in a war they will become adorned with a version of " nose art fairly soon.

A Starship Troopers movie that actually has Starship Troopers is very doable. 

I never said it wasn't.

I said that comparing Starship Troopers and Iron Man was flawed. The only way to identify all the people in Starship Troopers who are in full body armour would be to either flick between people in the same way as you have Iron Man represented or break up the screen into multiple bits showing each character. The former ,worked in the Avengers because there are only two characters Iron Man and Rhodey. In Troopers there are many characters who would be wearing armour which is all the same.

Can you identify more than one individual Imperial Stormtrooper in Star Wars ? No you cannot because the focus is not on them and it does not matter. The focus in Star Wars on a masked character is Darth Vader who stands out for obvious reasons. When a Stormtrooper became the focus in Star Wars the camera stays with them and they take off the helmet. The other masked characters are identified by distinctive armour.

The people in films beforehand with armour would only stick with an easily identified character such as a king with a crown on the helmet or knights with specific names who are identified by heraldry.with different colours on their shields or horses.

Pilots have a cockpit which is easily filmed. And motorcycle helmets have visors that are moved up and down.

EDIT: I am also minded of Dirty Harry Magnum Force. You cannot tell which motorcycle cop is carrying out the killings until they take off the helmet or the glasses they wear. It may have been the point upto the climax but I certainly could not tell that it was Robert Urich who was the first one killed because he had the helmet and glasses on and the camera did not concentrate on him.

This isn't so much a reboot as it is a desire for the original: Red Harvest.  Its been reinterpreted into several films now (Yojimbo, A Fist Full of Dollars, Last Man Standing), but never the original classic.

Sum Of All Fears, but this time actually make the book not... whatever the hell it was they made with Ben Affleck.

They should do a remake of Clash of the Titans, but this time stick closer to the actual mythology of Perseus and treat it as an epic fantasy, not some goofball thing for kids.

On 9/24/2019 at 4:08 PM, Pariah said:

Star Trek: Voyager with a consistent team of writers and a First Officer who didn't phone it in every episode for the last 6 seasons. I thought the concept was brilliant, but the execution was...sub-optimal.

I actually have a set of game proposals based on Star Trek.

Enterprise Done Right

Voyager Done Right

The Rebel Generation 

With the first one, I'd eliminate the anachronistic technology.  They'd be armed with lasers and "impulse torpedoes" with and without nuclear warheads.  They wouldn't have transporters (on the ship that is.  I'd have it as a buggy prototype on a research station).  They'd get battle damage reports in the form of hull breaches and casualty figures.  The focus of the campaign would be visiting each of the human colonies, helping them with their problems and use that to convince them to integrate with the United Earth Federation now that faster warp drive makes that possible.  

With the second one, I'd make a simple change.  They aren't 70 years away from home.  More like 7.  I'd also call it the Ulysses and have it encounter adaptations of the Odyssey because "subtle" is my middle name.  I'd dispense with the Maquis thing.  That was an idea that just didn't work.  

The third one is just TNG interpreted cynically.  Earth and by extension the Federation are under the sway of a bureaucratic cabal using genetic engineering, propaganda and intensive psychological monitoring and conditioning to try to create a docile population.  In the process the Federation is crumbling under their mismanagement.  It would be to TNG as Blake's 7 is to TOS.  

• 1 month later...

+1 for a remake of The Last Starfighter.  With video games having gotten even bigger--and still getting bigger--a story about a video gamer (gamers?) recruited to fight an interstellar war would seem entirely appropriate.

In another nod to the gone but never forgotten lapsedgamer, I propose a remake of Gypsy, with S. Epatha Merkerson as Mama Rose.  Beyoncé would play Louise, the tomboy who became Gypsy Rose Lee.  I'm thinking Willow Smith for Dainty June (at 19 she's a little too old for Baby June) and Craig Robinson (The Office) for Herbie.  Leslie David Baker (also from The Office) would be the manager of the burlesque theater, and Jennifer Hudson, Naturi Naughton and Gabrielle Union for the dancers in the "Ya Gotta Have A Gimmick" number.  (Hudson would be Tessie Tura, I think.)