Today is special because ?

As a Canadian, I honor this day because of the ideals it expressed and strove to make manifest, that transformed the world. That all men are created equal. Everyone has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Government of the people, by the people, and for the people. It's no secret the United States of America has often fallen short of those ideals, as have we all. But in just aspiring as a country to make them real, America has been an inspiration to people everywhere, and helped ignite a fundamental shift in how people see their responsibility to their fellow human beings. Whatever pettiness we may be dealing with today, that's a legacy worth celebrating.

10 hours ago, death tribble said:

Smart Alec

On the contrary. I thought you were serious, not sarcastic, and took it that you really couldn't think of a specific event. I equally could have posted June 2 or June 3. That I posted the right date is as much a fluke. 

America was set forth a destiny or purpose to reconcile two different worldviews: one that was ancient, and the burgeoning modern one. As of 2019 they are as far apart as they have ever been. Sadly. Silver lining is that there is not a second Civil War. 

Wishing America all the best from your younger brother Australia. Remember to send flowers to Mother Britain. 

There was all manner of quacking about secession, mainly from the Left Coast, after Mr. Trump won the 2016 Presidential election, but no, there have been no serious discussions of a second Civil War as yet.

13 hours ago, Bazza said:

On the contrary. I thought you were serious, not sarcastic, and took it that you really couldn't think of a specific event. I equally could have posted June 2 or June 3. That I posted the right date is as much a fluke. 

Really ?

when every year on July 4th I yank the chain of the Americans on the board about the date ?

15 hours ago, Bazza said:

Wishing America all the best from your younger brother Australia. Remember to send flowers to Mother Britain. 

Or we could honor the UK the way African countries do: Blame every problem on the Former Colonial Power scheming evilly to reassert its hegemony. Or else demand that the Former Colonial Power intervene to set things right. Sometimes the two demands come in the same BBC interview.

(Former French colonies do this too. The UK doesn't get all the grief.)

Dean Shomshak

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

Really ?

when every year on July 4th I yank the chain of the Americans on the board about the date ?

Yep really. I didn't connect the day until after others started posting memes and such. Then...it was obvious. 

We have come to expect it.

I'm unhappy with myself for failing to launch a Canada Day thread back on the 1st, actually.   Usually one is started by someone, and it got overlooked.  Last weekend and this week have been disrupted around my house.

17 minutes ago, Cancer said:

We have come to expect it.

I'm unhappy with myself for failing to launch a Canada Day thread back on the 1st, actually.   Usually one is started by someone, and it got overlooked.  Last weekend and this week have been disrupted around my house.

Yeah. :(

Same thing here. Best neighbors a country could ask for and good folk.