Old Hero coming back, OCV/DCV question.

Dreamthief

I am thinking about coming back to the Hero system and have a question. I know that OCV and DCV are used for pretty much everything. Skills like DEX and PRE can affect certain skills but for the most part OCV and DCV are king. With that said are most rolls basically one of those two stats combined with points, gained through skills, and basic modifiers? For example someone with 6 OCV and no modifiers would be able to hit any DCV below 17. If the defender however had an appropriate counter such as skill points in a melee attack vs a melee attack they could use those to lower that 17 to whatever number of points they had to spend? Also are all combat modifiers relating directly to characters themselves (excluding environmental modifiers) tied to combat skills.

I'm not sure I understand your question, so I want to start by clarifying a few things for everyone's benefit. ;)

1. There are no Skills that rely on the OCV or DCV Characteristics for rolls. OCV and DCV are only used for Attack Rolls.

2. A character with OCV 6 has virtually no chance to hit a character with DCV 17. He'd have to roll a 3; otherwise he'll always miss. If you mean that the attacker's OCV 6 + 11 = 17, and he then subtracts his 3d6 roll from that (the standard way of determining what DCV the attacker can hit), then the maximum DCV he could hit would be 14 (except that a 3 always hits), but he's more likely to hit DCV 5-7.

3. I don't understand your question about a defender using "skill points" (by which I think you mean Combat Skill Levels, though I'm not sure) to lower his DCV. The last thing a defender wants to do is reduce his DCV, since DCV makes it more difficult for the attacker to hit him. Did you mean the defender is somehow reducing the attacker's chance to hit him?

4. I don't understand your question about "combat modifiers" being "tied to combat skills." HERO has plenty of Combat Modifiers (like Target Size, Surprise, various environmental situations, and Encumbrace) that may affect OCV and/or DCV in various ways, but they don't have any relation to the various Combat Skills.

On 3/6/2019 at 9:28 PM, Dreamthief said:

I am thinking about coming back to the Hero system and have a question. I know that OCV and DCV are used for pretty much everything. Skills like DEX and PRE can affect certain skills but for the most part OCV and DCV are king. With that said are most rolls basically one of those two stats combined with points, gained through skills, and basic modifiers? For example someone with 6 OCV and no modifiers would be able to hit any DCV below 17. If the defender however had an appropriate counter such as skill points in a melee attack vs a melee attack they could use those to lower that 17 to whatever number of points they had to spend? Also are all combat modifiers relating directly to characters themselves (excluding environmental modifiers) tied to combat skills.

Always nice to see returnees.  I think you asked a lot of questions in one block of text.

Combat values are king in combat but virtually useless outside of that.

The ‘base’ chance of success in HERO is rolling 11 or under on 3D6, everything else modifies that base chance of success.  In combat your OCV improves the chance of success, each point raising the success number by one point.  Your opponent’s DCV decreases the chance of success, each point lowering the success number by one point.

There are all kinds of other modifiers that can be brought to bear by combatants such as combat manoeuvres, skill levels and environmental factors.  I would not class the Flash power as a combat skill but it will significantly impact on chances of success as will a number of other powers...

Doc

On 3/8/2019 at 12:05 AM, Doc Democracy said:

Always nice to see returnees.  I think you asked a lot of questions in one block of text.

Combat values are king in combat but virtually useless outside of that.

The ‘base’ chance of success in HERO is rolling 11 or under on 3D6, everything else modifies that base chance of success.  In combat your OCV improves the chance of success, each point raising the success number by one point.  Your opponent’s DCV decreases the chance of success, each point lowering the success number by one point.

There are all kinds of other modifiers that can be brought to bear by combatants such as combat manoeuvres, skill levels and environmental factors.  I would not class the Flash power as a combat skill but it will significantly impact on chances of success as will a number of other powers...

Doc

So if I went with that basic concept and house ruled everything else do you think it would still work?