help building a couple powers

Revenant

I'm wanting to create a character based around the ability to open up entrance and exit portals, allowing for teleportation by stepping through them.  I'm having trouble coming up with a way to build a power to allow him to open and entrance portal in front of someone and then opening an exit portal in a completely different direction.  An example of this in use would be opening a portal in front of speedster that is aiming for a move through and redirecting them into a wall.

I'd also like to be able to do this reactively as a defense if possible as well.  Say he's the target of the move through, he aborts a phase, and does his redirection trick.

Another trick I'd like to do is redirecting punches, energy blasts, and the like.  The energy blasts are fairly simple as a SFXed Missile Reflection.  How would you do similar with punches?

2 hours ago, Revenant said:

An example of this in use would be opening a portal in front of speedster that is aiming for a move through and redirecting them into a wall. 

That example will be very expensive, because it lacks any common defense. It can likely do what no balanced hero power should be able to do.

If this is only for redirecting attacks, Missile Deflection and Refleection both have the "open portals to reditect the attack" as exampel Special Effects.

But moving a unwilling person without moving yourself, goes straight into Useable as attack Territory. Wich is a very dangerous territory to walk into. UAA is already a problematic power, but the books go out of the way to hammer home this is even more true with Movement Power. And even more, more with Teleport.

2 hours ago, Revenant said:

Another trick I'd like to do is redirecting punches, energy blasts, and the like.  The energy blasts are fairly simple as a SFXed Missile Reflection.  How would you do similar with punches? 

I think one of the expanded books has rules for Deadly Dodging. You are doing that, just reliable.

Personally I think that I would simply do these as triggered attacks.

With the move through you need to make the person miss.  You then need to have an attack that is triggered when you make someone miss a move-through.  This requires two rolls in combat - the first on whether the move-through hits you (i.e. did you get a portal in the way) and the second on whether you cause the person damage (i.e. did you position the exit well-enough for the target to hit something solid).  There is no need to abort to this.

You could use the same attack with punches - though the trigger might be more expensive as punches are more common than move-throughs.

Doc

I could not find any rule for Deadly Dodging.

My best idea is that groups of mooks are represented as a single Character sheet, and "getting one mook to hit the other" is simply a part of "dealing damage to the charcter".

A limited degree of this can be done by turning desolid agaisnt enemy attack, with the proper backstop. But I am unsure wich rules apply for someone aiming at you with you being the (unwilling) cover for somebody else.

Generally when you abort your phase, you are only allowed to take defensive actions. Even Reflection explicitly needs a held action: " To use it, a character must have prepared to Block (such as by Holding his Action); a character cannot use Reflection if he Aborted to Block. A character cannot Reflect attacks he cannot Block."

Even the free damage operation as part of a Grab can only damage the original target. You need a seperate attack to "smack one character into another."

You either need a Held Action to react or a triggered attack for this kind of effect. And a trigger that can do damage while it is not your turn is expensive. You need to be able to trigger it as "Action that takes no time". And reset it somewhere around "half action". That is a +1/2 Advantage at least.

Thank you all for the advice thus far.  It seems like this character will be expensive to create, as Christopher said, but hopefully worth it in the end.  Hopefully it carries through the feel of putting up portals to mess with attacks and other such things.  I'm also planning on more simple things like a physical blast that requires a heavy object to be around, and a flash that requires dust or other particulates to be around.

So not something you could abort to?

Also not something you could jump ahead with, the way the system works, the move-through will happen in a segment, even if i is a full move.  We dont have RAW segmented movement and there are games if not simulationist reasons for that. 

I think the OP needs something that could be aborted to.

Doc

20 hours ago, Christopher said:

The same way a grab does: You never connect.

Of course that trick only works if it comes from a 3rd party and hte grab is not broken out with Casual STR.

Though Christopher provides the potential of an idea.  What if you summoned a creature whose only job was to grab and re-direct the attacker.  I would probably allow a summon on an abort...though it is not strictly a defensive power...

On 11/19/2018 at 4:05 PM, Christopher said:

That example will be very expensive, because it lacks any common defense. It can likely do what no balanced hero power should be able to do.

If this is only for redirecting attacks, Missile Deflection and Reflection both have the "open portals to reditect the attack" as exampel Special Effects.

But moving a unwilling person without moving yourself, goes straight into Useable as attack Territory. Which is a very dangerous territory to walk into. UAA is already a problematic power, but the books go out of the way to hammer home this is even more true with Movement Power. And even more, more with Teleport.

I think one of the expanded books has rules for Deadly Dodging. You are doing that, just reliable.

UAA still sounds like the way to go but I'd add "can be avoided with a Dimensional powers, TP Powers, or a DEX roll at -5".  I agree with the Missile Deflection & Reflection.

The power could also be +3 DCV, costs end.

6 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

Though Christopher provides the potential of an idea.  What if you summoned a creature whose only job was to grab and re-direct the attacker.  I would probably allow a summon on an abort...though it is not strictly a defensive power...

Summons and Duplicates do not get to act isntantly. It takes 1-2 phases befoer they can do anything.

That this would not be something he can abort to is something we established already :)

On 11/19/2018 at 1:05 PM, Revenant said:

I'm wanting to create a character based around the ability to open up entrance and exit portals, allowing for teleportation by stepping through them.  I'm having trouble coming up with a way to build a power to allow him to open and entrance portal in front of someone and then opening an exit portal in a completely different direction.  An example of this in use would be opening a portal in front of speedster that is aiming for a move through and redirecting them into a wall.

I'd also like to be able to do this reactively as a defense if possible as well.  Say he's the target of the move through, he aborts a phase, and does his redirection trick.

There has to be a balance. If the character can create all these portals, can the character ever 'not lose'? I bring this up from the line "I'd also like to be able to do this as a defense etc."

Some other possibilities are Desolidification defined as a portal helping him avoid the atack, or extra resistant PD (Visible) - defined as a portal making the blow miss.

13 hours ago, Tech said:

There has to be a balance. If the character can create all these portals, can the character ever 'not lose'? I bring this up from the line "I'd also like to be able to do this as a defense etc."

I would rule that this character would not be able to negate any AOE attacks.