Star Trek 4

Greywind

I thought this thread was going to be about the original Star Trek 4.  And wanted to tell everybody that I don't get why everybody loves it so much  (it's ok,  but I never did like most of the time travel episodes in the series anyway, except the one with the Guardian of Forever).

As for the new movies, I don't give a ####.  

I saw an image with screenshots and dialogue purporting to be from an interview with Abrams. If accurate--and I have no reason to suspect otherwise--it explains a lot.

Abrams said that when he was younger, his friends all liked Star Trek and dragged him into watching it . . . but he didn't like it, and thought it was too "philosophical". Then he explained that when making his Star Trek movies, he tried to get away from that, and make movies that regular moviegoers could enjoy.

He quite literally set out to deliberately make movies that weren't like Star Trek.

9 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

The character Pine was given to play is so different from the Jim Kirk we knew that it would have to have been another universe.

By the way, how is Discovery doing for CBS?

STD is going badly. Renewed for a second season, but they're bleeding showrunners.

7 hours ago, Zeropoint said:

I saw an image with screenshots and dialogue purporting to be from an interview with Abrams. If accurate--and I have no reason to suspect otherwise--it explains a lot.

Abrams said that when he was younger, his friends all liked Star Trek and dragged him into watching it . . . but he didn't like it, and thought it was too "philosophical". Then he explained that when making his Star Trek movies, he tried to get away from that, and make movies that regular moviegoers could enjoy.

He quite literally set out to deliberately make movies that weren't like Star Trek.

His purported fandom growing up was Star Wars, which tends to explain some of the design choices made in the rebooted Trek movies.