Titans

Greywind

The original Teen Titans animated series, though certainly filled with the anime aesthetic, was a good series with interesting stories and reasonable character development. Not on par with the Bruce Timm Justice League animated stuff, certainly, but a good series in its own right.

Teen Titans Go was a dumpster fire and I couldn't stand to watch it for more than 3 minutes.

This trailer looks interesting, though. I see that DC has chosen the grimdark aesthetic, just like all the rest of its movies (save, perhaps, Wonder Woman).

That's not really adult, its more juvenile.  Adult is stuff like Stark flying a nuke into space without any real hope of returning or Captain America deciding liberty mattered more than the entire UN's might.  Swears are the stuff middle schoolers do to try to sound grown up.  This looks pretty bad, but its possible they picked the worst parts and emphasized the other worst parts.  Starfire still looks terrible, Raven looks like an emo tween, Robin  thinks he's Wolverine, Dove the pacifist beats four people bloody (could have been Hawk, the flash between the two so fast its not clear)... I get the sense they don't really know any of the characters, but figure grimdark didn't work because it wasn't edgy enough.

I do like how Robin LOOKS, but he gives no sense of being the team leader type with wisdom and tactics.  Raven would work if she was more peaceful and a bit older looking, she's supposed to be more a nun than a sniveling crybaby.  I can't get a sense of any of the other characters, but that version of Beastboy doesn't seem like a jokester.

I will give them DC points for actually having costumes and maybe even code names, not that you can tell in this trailer.  I think they saw the New Mutants trailer and figured they'd do that, but more.  But mixed with CW music.

52 minutes ago, Pariah said:

This trailer looks interesting, though. I see that DC has chosen the grimdark aesthetic, just like all the rest of its movies (save, perhaps, Wonder Woman).

I hasten to point out that interesting and good are not necessarily synonymous.

If handled properly, this looks like it could be a good series. But the trailer doesn't give me a lot of hope that that's actually the case.

Sadly, they want to do Greyson (who in the Bat Family is really the high flyer who keeps everyone else grounded with jokes and puns), but decided to combine him more with Jason Todd, probably the 2nd most violent Robin, behind Damian who was raised as an assassin and has to fight his inner self. I have really enjoyed the recent comic books where the 4 Robins were together and you could see both the differences and the love/hate in them.

But streaming service, so I won't get to see it. It looks like someone said in a meeting "whatever we are doing, we have to separate it from Teen Titans Go".

23 minutes ago, slikmar said:

It looks like someone said in a meeting "whatever we are doing, we have to separate it from Teen Titans Go".

That, in and of itself, is not necessarily A Bad Thing. Teen Titans Go was an abomination that should never have seen the light of day.

But the opposite of bad is not always good. Sometimes, the opposite of bad is just another kind of bad.

11 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Sigh, Damian.  The boy who literally cut the head off a man, murdering him, and brought the head to Batman.  Who says "bad boy, don't do that again" and that's it.  This being the man who'd put his own mother in jail for jaywalking, shrugs at murder.

Not to mention the one character who, historically speaking, anyway, takes his Code vs. Killing seriously.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Not to mention the one character who, historically speaking, anyway, takes his Code vs. Killing seriously.

True, though I don't actually think he'd throw his own mother in jail for jaywalking.  He's hard on crime sure but he's not gonna jail people for misdemeanors.

43 minutes ago, Twilight said:

True, though I don't actually think he'd throw his own mother in jail for jaywalking.  He's hard on crime sure but he's not gonna jail people for misdemeanors.

Yeah, that'd be Rorschach.