The Academics Thread

Pariah

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

Final tally for my Concurrent Enrollment Astronomy class: 36 students.

That was about the number I was used to having in my Solar System core course (i.e., for nonscience students).  The class was required to have a lab component, but everyone considered me insane for giving essay exams and having a significant writing assignment.  Now, if you're trying to do both Solar System stuff and stars, interstellar matter, and galaxies in one course ... even over the run of a full year ... brrr.

With the resumption of school here last week, the streets around the nearby high school return to being impassible between 8:30 and 9:30 and 3:15 to 4:30.  Annoyingly, this effectively no-drive zone includes two of the nearest through streets going south from my house (and I live more or less at the north city limit), and it is directly on the line between my house and the nearest hospital and clinic.  That is less of a concern than it was a year ago, but it's still irritating.

37 minutes ago, Cancer said:

With the resumption of school here last week, the streets around the nearby high school return to being impassible between 8:30 and 9:30 and 3:15 to 4:30.  Annoyingly, this effectively no-drive zone includes two of the nearest through streets going south from my house (and I live more or less at the north city limit), and it is directly on the line between my house and the nearest hospital and clinic.  That is less of a concern than it was a year ago, but it's still irritating.

Helicopter?

Under study, sort of; the idea has been examined before and seems unpromising.  Much of the ground this town is built on is not very stable, so tunneling is a pretty risky prospect; you kind of have to construct a concrete liner as you go.  All this makes tunnel construction slow and obvious, a combination that ... is not desired.

5 hours ago, Starlord said:

I hate it when the locals won't just mind their own business and let you work on your world takeover master plan in peace.

I get around this by not having a master plan or any other kind of plan.  Can't foil my plan if there ain't no plan!

Keeping this article in mind for my Earth Science students in a couple of months.

The Right (and Wrong) Way to Die When You Fall Into Lava

Leading question: “In that scene from Return of the King when Gollum falls into the pit of lava, would he have really just sunk into the lava like that?”

Edited by Pariah

34 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Keeping this article in mind for my Earth Science students in a couple of months.

The Right (and Wrong) Way to Die When You Fall Into Lava

Leading question: “In that scene from Return of the King when Gollum falls into the pit of lava, would he have really just sunk into the lava like that?”

I think we need to test this hypothesis empirically.