The Academics Thread

Pariah

It occurred to me today that I have two distinctive days in my teaching schedule this year: Core Day and Elective Day.

Core Day: A Days ( Monday, Wednesday)

1A & 2A: Chemistry 

3A & 4 A: Earth Science

Elective Day: B Days ( Tuesday, Thursday)

5B: Astronomy

6B: ACT Prep (S1) , Astronomy (S2)

7B: Concurrent Enrollment Astronomy

8B: Consultation 

Pretty sweet, as these things go!

On the first day you can teach your students how to poison administrators in convenient ways, and then teach them about what it takes to have administrators be swallowed when the Earth splits open and things fall in the fissure.  Sadly that latter isn't a particularly practicable approach, which goes some way toward explaining why there are more job opportunities for chemists than there are for earth scientists.

-----

10 hours ago, Old Man said:

What is the weight of a mole of joules?  In giraffes?

Well, you can use a mole of moles as your starting point for that.

Edited by Cancer

9 hours ago, Cancer said:

On the first day you can teach your students how to poison administrators in convenient ways, and then teach them about what it takes to have administrators be swallowed when the Earth splits open and things fall in the fissure.  Sadly that latter isn't a particularly practicable approach, which goes some way toward explaining why there are more job opportunities for chemists than there are for earth scientists.

Shouldn't there be a section on torturing members of the IT department?

11 hours ago, Old Man said:

Shouldn't there be a section on torturing members of the IT department?

That educational program was sunsetted after budget cuts eliminated all the real IT support.  Now the only thing resembling that set of learning objectives is just a few thought-exercise essays in the Postapocomodern Studies curriculum in which the students are expected to submit responses generated by crummy AI engines.

In my academic career, I have made it a point not to antagonize the IT people. Because when the solid waste makes contact with the rotary oscillator, I want to be one of the people they think about favorably.

• 2 weeks later...

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. G____ . I'm Mr. P. I teach astronomy, chemistry, Earth science, physics, and ACT Prep. My favorite color is Kelly green, my favorite movie is The Princess Bride, and my favorite dog breed is Labrador Retriever. My astrological sign is Taurus, and my red flags are the gratuitous use of profanity and people who waste my time.

"Which brings me to your daughter, M____ ...."

1 hour ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

May be an image of text

(Posts picture below to the Book of Face some years ago)

Friend: "Oh, I see you woke up today and chose violence."

Me: "No, that's the hallway outside my office."

Friend: "Oh, I'm so sorry! I just assumed that you found something that horrible on the web."

Hallway.jpg