Holocaust first appearance

jrclarkiii

Ran Champions for the first time in a year or so yesterday. Used Holocaust as the big bad for the session. Made me wonder when the first appearance was of his stats. I mean, I know he is the villain on the front cover of the original Champions book (and the cover of the original Enemies book) but unless I am mistaken, he was not named nor given a writeup until years later. I found a rumor online saying that his writeup was in an issue of Adventurer's Club. I have a lot of those magazines, but couldn't find him in there anywhere. Anyone have any leads on his real "first appearance?"

Also for purposes of the Sunday game I changed his name to Vanguard. I concluded that Holocaust was a touch too insensitive for my taste. 

Edited by jrclarkiii

Right, whatever the results of the contest, the character's sheet never made it to print.

Holocaust got his first stats and write-up (and maybe his name -- I'm not sure it was announced in Adventurers Club or not) in Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks.

The contest for the Millennium City Eight was much more successful.

ooh, I have those cardboard minis somewhere. I will have to go look for them now. The mystery deepens!

51 minutes ago, assault said:

From memory, his name was given in a set of cardboard miniatures produced by Steve Jackson Games. (Art by Denis Loubet, IIRC.)

The rules of the contest excluded using the name Holocaust on this basis.

Now I'm thinking about how I would have written him up back in the days of the contest.

From the early pictures, his basic power set is pretty obvious: blast, armour, flight, HKA (knuckle spikes). Plus whatever.

He looks vaguely Magneto-ish. I think that's a good niche for him - Doctor Destroyer is the Dr Doom type. The name Holocaust fits too - he could be a "Homo Superior" extremist. (But not a "Magneto is right" type.)

The write-up of Genocide's Minuteman robots would be relevant to his power level. Maybe his special effects too - the nature of his blast isn't obvious. On the other hand, he probably shouldn't overpower Dr Destroyer and Mechanon, although the latter could be upgraded from the version in the rulebook.

I'd need to look up these references to do a proper draft.