Teleporting Within A Building

Black Rose

The effect(s) I'm trying to replicate is as follows:

The character can enter into a prepared physical space - usually defined as a carved or drawn door - and "come out" of a surface anywhere within an "area". For simplicity's sake, "areas" are usually something like a building, but could also be an aircraft or ship.

If I understand the character right, it's kinda like Mirror Master, but the special effects are a bit different - not actually mirrors and in a predefined space. I'd use something like UMA's Castle Without Walls, but aside from a step or two, it's almost instant.

Any thoughts?

It sounds to me like a lot of blind teleporting with Gestures and Extra time to whatever level desired  (to reflect having to draw a door).

It could also be something like Desolid combined with Megascale flight with No Turn Mode - you step through the 'door' and appear almost instantly anywhere you desire.  It has the advantage that you aren't teleporting blindly and only leaping and teleport require a 'target' to use.  You just fly at ludicrous speed to wherever you want and stop: seemingly like a step or two for the character would be a roleplay effect.

I'm not a fan of stacking stop signs like that (or megascale in general) but it works.

Sounds a lot like the fedoras used in The Adjustment Bureau. 

Here's how I would build it.

25 points Teleportation 25m, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), MegaScale (1m = 1 km; +1) (69 Active Points); OAF (Fedora; -1), Usable By Other (-1/4), Recipient must remain close to Grantor, Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Requires unlocked doors at either end; -1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (People can follow as long as door is open; -1/4)

15 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

Well, it sounds like Teleport with limitations.  When you say "within a pre-defined space" do you mean forever and always the same space, or do you mean the character can use any space as long as it has been defined in advance (that is, has become a space the character knows"?

Well, the original source has it as two forms:

• temporary, where you draw or scratch a door on a surface and basically use it once
  • permanent, where you carve a door into a surface and can use it whenever you pay for it

I decided to mostly ditch the temporary mode, and focus on the permanent form. My intention is that you create (carve) a door, charge it up (pay END to set up), and can use it here in this place. If you want to do it somewhere else, you need to make a new one. I suppose a Floating Location that can only work with a pre-made door in an area.

I had originally intended your first point (forever and always the same space), but now I'm leaning toward the second (can use any space as long as it has been defined in advance)

9 hours ago, DasBroot said:

It sounds to me like a lot of blind teleporting with Gestures and Extra time to whatever level desired  (to reflect having to draw a door).

It could also be something like Desolid combined with Megascale flight with No Turn Mode - you step through the 'door' and appear almost instantly anywhere you desire.  It has the advantage that you aren't teleporting blindly and only leaping and teleport require a 'target' to use.  You just fly at ludicrous speed to wherever you want and stop: seemingly like a step or two for the character would be a roleplay effect.

I'm not a fan of stacking stop signs like that (or megascale in general) but it works.

That could work. Originally I was going to use something like Tunneling, but that really wouldn't work for the needed range. Now that I think about it, strip out the fluff, and it's like a Star Trek transporter that can only work on the ship and you have to be by a wall... okay, not much like one, but you get the idea. I'm trying to see if Star HERO has any good ideas.

OK.  You are talking about a movement power here definitely.  Teleport seems the obvious one as you move from one location to another without passing through the intervening space and it either works or it does not - you dont get to go half way.

In my understanding, the first change you state is requiring an entry point - it is limited from the base power which would allow you to enter from any location.

The second change you state is that the movement is confined to an area (like a building or an aircraft) - it is limited from the base power which would allow you to go the maximum of the movement bought.

The third change you state is that the exit point must be a flat surface of the building (or other area).

These will all reduce the cost of the teleport, allowing you to buy extended range.

I am wondering if the power is going to be fixed to an area, or whether you 'prime' an area by creating a doorway, either fixed or temporary?  I can see the value in this.  I 'might' recommend a two aspect power - one aspect is using the teleport, the other is 'creating the doorway' which I would buy as a sense which effectively maps the area and allows the teleport to work in that area with no blind teleport risk.

Doc

On 11/7/2017 at 7:34 PM, Black Rose said:

• temporary, where you draw or scratch a door on a surface and basically use it once
  • permanent, where you carve a door into a surface and can use it whenever you pay for it

I decided to mostly ditch the temporary mode, and focus on the permanent form. My intention is that you create (carve) a door, charge it up (pay END to set up), and can use it here in this place. If you want to do it somewhere else, you need to make a new one. I suppose a Floating Location that can only work with a pre-made door in an area.

How about Floating Locations with OIF (Flat areas of Opportunity), Arrangement (representing the drawing / scratching the door on the surface), and Fixed Locations (OIF Immobile)?  And then have the "Only teleport to fixed / floating locations (-1/2)" Limitation on the teleport itself.

Or if only using Fixed Locations, that becomes a -1 Limitation.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:34 PM, Black Rose said:

See the 6e RAW pertaining to (teleportation) Gates on 6e1 p301.