Help me price and name "Natural Martial Artist"

dmjalund

I am wondering what it is that you are trying to encourage with such a talent. Not to tell you not to do it but to understand the drive behind it which would inform costings.

My first thought is that the only reason to want to take this is if you are going to purchase more than 10 manoeuvres. If you have invested in 10 manoeuvres, what is the value in the next 10, where you begin to reap the benefits?

I would be inclined to make, not the manoeuvres but the additional colour elements cheaper. So buying a style, or KS of a particular martial art style. So you could get a natural martial artist being able to swap or analyse different styles and provide the kind of colour that cost constraints squeeze out of the usual considerations.

Now that might not be why you came and asked the question, so I am interested in knowing what is behind the question. :-)

Doc

I was thinking a Talent which I provisionally call "Natural Martial Artist"

the idea is you purchase this an all Martial Maneuvers are 1 point cheaper

i was thinking 10 points would be a fair price

I want opinions

This isn't a Talent: It's a Skill Enhancer, like Scholar.

Skill Enhancers are priced to give a break to characters that go a little beyond the average in purchases of a certain type of Skill. I notice they are also all for Skill types that might ordinarily get neglected. Martial Arts is arguably already the best bargain in the game, so one could wonder why it needs any encouragement.

But it is unusual to get more than, say, five maneuvers, so if you want to encourage going beyond that, I'd set the cost at 5 or 6 pts.

Lucius Alexander

Looking into a palindromedary enhancer

II would be inclined to make, not the manoeuvres but the additional colour elements cheaper. So buying a style, or KS of a particular martial art style. So you could get a natural martial artist being able to swap or analyse different styles and provide the kind of colour that cost constraints squeeze out of the usual considerations.

I agree,  I'd stay away from lowering the costs of maneuvers (which are already very cost effective), and maybe model it more on Perfect Pitch than on Skill Enhancers.  As Perfect Pitch gives a +1 to any music-related Skill Roll, Natural Martial Artist could give +1 to any martial arts-related Skill Roll (e.g., Analyze Style, KS: Style, some applications of Skills such as Acrobatics, Breakfall, Climbing... any Skill Roll that the GM agrees is "martial arts-related").