A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Talked with our friend the realtor Sunday. She thinks the house is in a great spot and that there isn't much on the market right now. So the house is on the market semi-officially. Might be showing it this week already, though it will look better once we're out the door. But speed would be good and who knows, maybe we'll get a good offer.

Some of you may wonder. What did Enforcer84 and death Tribble expect of each other ?

Did Death Tribble imagine that Enforcer84 was some colossus bestriding the NGD board and would thus bestride the capital (London) in the same way ?

Well the answer is Yes. With his mighty guitar and mustache did Enforcer84 appear and frighten the good people of London into hiding. Not many days you get a giant guitar wielding man walk across the capital. But there it is.

Guest Skaramine

Woe betide me.

I woke up this morning spiritually crushed.

Yesterday morning, I found out that the guy hired people after interviews on frickin' Easter Sunday. I'm not even a shop-n-rob statistic.

I can't go to a convention to see my baby because I have no job, and the two old freaks will say "you just got this job, you're throwing away all your vacation!"

Oh... and some idiot called me a gun loon for posting a random musing or two.

Yeah.

Life is wonderful.

Ka-chunk. Boom!

Look on rotten.com for the results...

Just had dinner with friends, her birthday. Short dinner since 1/2 the people had early work tomorrow.

Vegan Lasagne, surprisingly good. And it was good. The soy cheese actually worked.

My wife made a classic cheese cake. Damn good cheese cake. I'll be posting that recipe. (Not vegan in the slightest. Chickens & Cows worked for this!)

April 2005 MAXIM Magazine

Ask Us Anything

Q: Why do Islamic terrorists behead their victims?

A: Evildoers across the world typically cite the Koran to justify decapitation, specifically Sura 8, Verse 12, which states: "I shall cast terror into the hearts of the infidels. Strike off their heads." Most recently, Abu Musab al Zarqawi cited the Koran before he beheaded Nicholas Berg, saying, "Prophet Muhammad ordered his army to strike the necks of some prisoners in Badr and to kill them... And he set a good example for us."

Some Islamic scholars argue that the terrorists are misinterpreting these lines, though they seem pretty straightforward to us. And if Mr. Zarqawi happens to be reading this, take our advice: Find a girl and relax a little. Alternatively, just kill yourself.

http://www.instapundit.com

March 29, 2005

I'VE BEEN FOLLOWING THE DEBATE between Jeff Jarvis and Hugh Hewitt on the role of "theocrats" in the Terri Schiavo matter.

Hugh's right that it's hard to ascribe the Congressional legislation to "theocrats" when it was supported by Tom Harkin (and Ralph Nader!). There's much more going on than that; this is a matter on which all sorts of people, of all sorts of persuasions, can be found on both sides.

On the other hand, here's some advice, very similar to advice I gave to the antiwar movement: If you don't want to be confused with a movement led by theocrats, don't let actual theocrats be seen as your spokesmen. It may be impossible to shut Randall Terry up -- though if I were Karl Rove, I would have tried really hard -- but he needs to be loudly and regularly denounced as a nut. Otherwise you're in the same boat as lefties who don't want to be identified with Ward Churchill, but happily use him when they want to draw a crowd.

(In fact, the Terry / Churchill axis is surprisingly close -- they both view 9/11 as a necessary chastisement for a sinful America. If that's not a distinguishing mark of full-bore idiotarianism, I don't know what is).

Guest Worldmaker

From Joe Conason's Journal:

While exploiting Schiavo's tragedy for maximum impact' date=' these opportunists probably won't dwell on the most salient political fact about those awful judges who have ruled so consistently in favor of Schiavo's husband and against her parents. Most of those tyrannical jurists happen to be Republicans, too.[/quote']

Guest Skaramine

"My plainness of speech makes them hate me, and what is their hatred , if not proof that I am speaking the truth?" Socrates