A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

This is most likely my last for a long while. As some may know, I'm going away on a holiday for two weeks to celebrate Christmas and New Years wit my family. I leave in 20 minutes.

I'll attempt to log into the NGD from tim to time, but will most likely stick to just a few "core" threads. If you would like to contact me in the meantime, PM me.

Have a memorable & perky holiday season, and a happy new cheer.

Baz

I'm half-watching Horton Hears a Who (it's on the DVD with the Chuck Jones Grinch version), I had forgotten just what a sad tale of intolerance it is, though of course at least (IIRC - I'll find out soon!) it has a happy ending. But as an adult it's way sadder, because you look at it and just say, "Oh God, we are just riddled in this world with close-minded, petty, mean people, I recognize all these from the short." Particularly the Wickersham (sp) Brothers, the monkey-like things intent on "correcting" Horton's behavior, though clearly simply out of their own little-minded, bullying, misanthropic ways. And of course the intolerance (this part I had totally forgotten) isn't just among the animals of the jungle/forest/Seussian lands, but among the Whos who belittle the scientist merely trying to understand the universe better.

Such a simple but important lesson. "After all, a person's a person, no matter how small." And most of the time, we, present company (myself) included, seem so intent on our petty behavior, our condescending ways, our close-minded naysaying, and our disdain for those who are different.

FLY YOUR FREAK FLAG AND BE PROUD!

"He's going to be roped, he's going to be caged, Horton the elephant's going to be caged!"

"Boil that dust speck, boil that dust speck!"

God, what meanness!

I think some of it's sleep deprivation, but this really gets to me. It makes me wonder about my own occasional mean spirit. Of course the redemption at the end, and the hope that sometimes when we are confronted with a revelation we do learn, is great. But so often this world just perpetuates and, as the animals threatening Horton, CELEBRATES inflicting misery.

As an aside, I do often find animation gets to me in a way live-action does not. I think the reason is that with animation we are presented with beings we can relate to more strongly as true innocents or truly sympathetic, whereas with human beings (and I show my own degree of misanthropy here) "no one is innocent" and it's easier to turn a blind eye. That in itself is something to think about, for me (I don't know that others relate to this particular point, I don't know how people relate to animation on this level).

Guest Skaramine

Well... the Army is moving towards some new pistols:

142L.gif

U.S. Army Awards Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

Contract for 5,000 Pistols

December 23, 2004

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR), the nation’s largest firearms manufacturer, is proud to announce that it has been awarded a contract for 5,000 9mm pistols by the U.S. Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command, Rock Island Arsenal, IL. The pistols to be supplied are Ruger KP95D models. The pistols incorporate a stainless steel slide and a custom polymer composite frame.

“We are honored to be part of the nation’s defense by furnishing the Army with Ruger P95 pistols,†said Sturm, Ruger President Stephen L. Sanetti. “As there are no longer any U.S. Government small arms factories, our country must rely on the private firearms manufacturing sector to provide arms for the common defense. Sturm, Ruger’s P95 pistols have developed a legendary reputation for strength, reliability, and value during the last ten years, and we are proud to have won the U.S. Army’s competitive bid with these fine firearms.â€

“Our late founder, Bill Ruger, who began his firearms industry career 65 years ago designing small arms for the U.S. Government, would have been pleased,†Sanetti concluded.

The Ruger pistols to be supplied under this contract will be manufactured in the company’s Prescott, Arizona manufacturing facility.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/News-12-23-2004.html (news report)

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=3075&return=Y (gun specs)

Guest Skaramine

Why can I never breathe right on Christmas Eve, even with allergy pills and an inhaler?

Every December 24th, like clockwork.

Though... this year I earned it.

I got out of bed at 5 PM today, after waking up for good at 4 PM. I was laying down, and most of the time sleeping, from about midnight last night, aside from getting up to feed the cats once in the AM or go to the bathroom. It's the most rest I've gotten in a long time, and welcome as it's also the first time in many days I've gotten 8 hours or more of rest (let alone roughly 12 hours of sleep from 15.5 hours of laying down).

PS - I'd add I think in the last 2 weeks I haven't had more than 6 or 7 hours of rest on any given day, and that's only for 2 days of that period, I think, otherwise it's been 3-5 hours of rest a day.