A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

A while back, I was in a thread about so-called "nice guys" (different forum entirely) and asked, "Okay, if a fellow's apparent neediness is turning women off (as well may be the case) how does one avoid the appearance of neediness while not, in fact, having one's needs met?"

Rather than tackle the question as was, another poster asked, "Do you think you're entitled to have your needs met by women?" This successfully derailed the thread, and by the time I had a well-thought-out reply, the other posters had forgotten my original question entirely.

Anyhow, this lead to me thinking about the difference between "I deserve" and "I am entitled to."

When I "deserve" something, it *should* happen, but no one is under any obligation to give it to me or to help me achieve it. For example, if I go out on the street and behave with common courtesy, I deserve to be treated with common courtesy myself. But no one is *obligated* to be polite to me.

When I'm "entitled" to something, then someone is legally or contractually obligated to give it to me, or help me achieve it. For example, if I go out on the street, I am legally *entitled* not to be robbed, even if I happen to "deserve" it. Other people are under an obligation not to rob me.

Where I think the problem comes in is that some people believe that they have in fact entered into a situation where the other party is "obligated" to them, and they are "entitled" to certain actions in return. (The classic is the fellow who believes that paying for dinner constitutes an unwritten contract for sex in return.)

This leads other people in turn to assume that anyone talking about what they "deserve" are assuming a false entitlement, even when this isn't true.

FWIW,

SKJAM!

As the result of a rear-end an auto accident back in December of 2002, my wife had thoracic outlet syndrome. Her inability to use her right arm at full strength, the painful neck spasms and poppings, etc., forced her to pursue all kinds of therapeutic remedies. Finally, with all therapies exhausted and no significant improvement in utility or pain reduction, she underwent a first rib resection last Tuesday.

Her pre-surgery stress was significant. Being that it's a bone and muscle surgery, it's very painful - very painful. She's a trooper, but I can tell she's crying when I'm not looking. On Friday she had to go back into the hospital due to a lung infection making it nigh-impossible to breathe. They put her on Cipro, the super-antibiotic used to treat anthrax victims. It was either that or they went back in to clear the infection from her lungs. Fortunately the Cipro worked to get it under control.

I've swapped my normal job for that of male nurse the past week. It's difficult at times, but to be honest the white nylons make me feel kind of sexy. I gave up my football game yesterday so I could take her out to get her hair washed and blow-dried, since she was upset that she hadn't been able to do it properly. I can help her in the shower, but whenI offered to do the wash and dry she just gave me "the look", like "you can't be serious".

Anyway, that's where I've been the past week. The main nerve serving her arm is waking up from having been scraped free of internal scar tissue, so the pain is the worst it's been yet. Still, she's infection free and able to breathe, and she's getting stronger, so that's a good thing.

I try to tell her that, in a month, we'll look back and laugh. She just throws things at me. Oh well.

Saturday and Sunday were Open House days in London. In September certain buildings which are normally closed to the public are open and people get to roam around with guides.

Previous years have seen me in the BBC buildings (radio and TV), Australia House and Somerset House. Last year's highlight was walking around the top part of the NewZealand commisiion. The view across London was great and I got loads of photoes. The panorama shows Parliament, Trafalgar Square, the London Eye, Horseguards parade etc

This year I saw the Senate House of London University, Westminster Hall, Portcullis House (where the MPs work), The Jewel Tower and the headquarters of the Honourable Seaman's Company.

ELECTRIC JELL-O

2 boxes JELL-O brand gelatin 2 packages Knox brand unflavored gelatin

2 cups fruit (any variety) 2+ cups water

1/2 bottle Everclear brand grain alcohol

Mix JELL-O and Knox gelatin into 2 cups of boiling water. Stir 'til

fully dissolved.

Pour hot mixture into a flat pan. (JELL-O molds won't work.)

Stir in grain alcohol instead of usual cold water. Remove any congealing

glops of slime. (Alcohol has an unusual effect on excess JELL-O.)

Pour in fruit to desired taste, and to absorb any excess alcohol.

Mix in some cold water to dilute the alcohol and make it easier to eat for

the faint of heart.

Refrigerate overnight to allow mixture to fully harden. (About 8-12 hours.)

Cut into squares and enjoy!

WARNING:

Keep ingredients away from open flame. Not recommended for

children under eight years of age.

My friend who goes by the handle Nightstick on these forums is an EP whore.

He's posted a short story from his character's point of view to take advantage of the GM's (Eosin) offer of 1 EP per story contributed to the account in the No Dominion thread

There is nothing wrong with being an EP whore.

Guest Skaramine

IF MEN RULED THE WORLD: TOP 26 LIST

1. Any fake phone number a girl gave you would automatically forward

your call to her real number.

2. Nodding and looking at your watch would be deemed an acceptable

response to "I love you."

3. Hallmark would make "Sorry, what was your name again?" cards.

4. When your girlfriend really needed to talk to you during the

game, she'd appear in a little box in the corner of the screen

during a time-out.

5. Each year, your raise would be pegged to the fortunes of the NFL

team of your choice.

6. The funniest guy in the office would get to be CEO.

7. "Sorry I'm late, but I got really wasted last night" would be an

acceptable excuse for tardiness.

8. At the end of the workday, a whistle would blow and you'd jump

out your window and slide down the tail of a brontosaurus and right

into your car like Fred Flintstone.

9. It'd be considered harmless fun to gather 30 friends, put on

horned helmets, and go pillage a nearby town.

10. When a cop gave you a ticket, every smart-aleck answer you

responded with would actually reduce your fine. As in: Cop: "You

know how fast you were going?" You: "All I know is, I was spilling

my beer all over the place." Cop: "Nice one. That's $10 off."

11. Tanks would be far easier to rent.

12. Garbage would take itself out.

13. Instead of beer belly, you'd get "beer biceps."

14. Instead of an expensive engagement ring, you could present your

wife-to-be with a giant foam hand that said, "You're #1!"

15. Valentine's Day would be moved to February 29th so it would only

occur in leap years.

17. On Groundhog Day, if you saw your shadow, you'd get the day off

to go drinking. Mother's Day, too.

18. St. Patrick's Day, however, would remain exactly the same. But

it would be celebrated every month.

19. "COPS" would be broadcast live, and you could phone in advice to

the pursuing cops. Or to the crooks.

20. The only show opposite "Monday Night Football" would be "Monday

Night Football from a Different Camera Angle".

21. The candle shops in the mall would sell candles that smell like

whiskey and beer.

22. Women would have to obtain a license before wearing spandex or

short shorts (sorta like conceal carry laws).

23. Women suffering from PMS would be required to wear a burka.

24. Gun racks would be standard on all American cars.

25. There would be a device that automatically raised and lowered

toilet seats.

26. 2005 Cloning Act:"Only Brittany Spears may be cloned."

So today I'm at the bus stop, leaving work. And this weekend I happened to have watched Singin' in the Rain (great movie - I'd seen bits from it before, but never all the way through). So I'm there at the bus stop, by myself. And as I am wont to do in such circumstances (and particularly when walking alone) I started singing - though rather loudly. So I'm now blasting out "MAKE 'EM LAAAUGH! MAKE 'EM LAAAUGH! DON'T YA KNOW THE WHOLE WORLD WANTS TO LAAAAUGH?"

And then I turn my head and, as if out of nowhere, there's a woman - I'm quite from where I work though I don't know her - just walking up.

So, I know I look like a goober, so I just smile politely and quietly say "hi."

She does a big-time "I don't see you, you freak," carefully moving her head away and her eyes darting in hope she can not indicate she sees me yet simultaneously determine if I'm lookiing at her.

Oh well.

When posting a statement of fact in a political or otherwise controversial thread, do not be surprised or angered when somebody acts you to back it up with a link or a source cite. Nobody is so well-educated about a subject that they are beyond being questioned by another. Sometimes I'll ask someone to cite a source because I want to read for myself and maybe learn something. Other times I do it to keep people honest. Either way, use of sources to back up claims - even claims which you may feel are as obvious as "the sky is blue" but which someone else may not find so obvious - is good debate etiquette.

Nobody, of course, is under any obligation to post sources. However, don't be offended when afterwards you aren't taken seriously. It is the height of hubris to assume you know so much about a subject that you are beyond being questioned.