A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Over the Christmas period I bought a number of cds (26), one being Traffic's John Barleycorn Must Die.

Tonight over cooking (and eating) dinner is the first time I've heard Traffic. The album was superb, really set a great mood. I read a few entries in some music books I have about Traffic. They discribed their music as "ethereal beauty" and I've have to agree wholeheartedly.

This is most likely the start of a beautiful friendship and I might have to traffic other albums of theirs.

4.5/5 (and remember this is the first time I've heard the album/the band).

Started watching Firefly last night. I am reminded of the original synopsis for the Star Trek series.

Wagon Train to the stars.

I think Joss did a better job than Roddenberry did.

Firefly caputes the whole frontier image, with it's wildness and unpredictibility. Star Trek just watched the Cavalry move around from place to place. Firefly is about surviving in an uncertain world.

Doc

You know, I've played Champions in one form or another for 20+ years, and I've been on these boards for about a year and a half, but I'm constantly amazed by the efforts more than a few people make in their games. The write-ups I've seen here, the game ideas, the rules discussions...I don't participate in as many as I'd like, but I've learned a lot. A lot, I tell you. So...um...thanks, everyone.

Guest Skaramine

How come I can come up with an excellent update for one of my old characters, coallate the writeup for Taloner, but I can't do more than one page of stuff I'm paid to do... with 200 pages to go?

Michelle and I were standing in line at the grocery store this evening. I glance up and notice one of those noxious celebrity gossip rags on the shelf, headlining the breakup of Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston with the words:

Why did they Split?

First response from John's work-blurred brain?

"Because that's what amoebas do?"

John T

In news articles, I am repeatedly seeing the phrase "in other words...." These are not editorial or opinion pieces. They are clearly intended to be "news pieces," which means relevant facts presented in an objective manner.

I am not stupid.

I am capable of drawing my own conclusions.

I did not ask for opinion, just facts.

If I wanted an opinion I would, shockingly enough, read an opinion piece.

As such, shut the hell up.

Guest Skaramine

Sangita, the girl who works at Dunkin' Donuts and has been serving me coffee and tea lately on a daily basis is just so beautiful that she makes my stomach flip. I'm glad she's relatively untouchable to me. I could get in trouble.

There are times I don't care about what others think of me. Then there are times I'm greatly concerned about my appearance. Usually the latter happens only with certain people, whereas strangers it's easier for me to blow them off.

But for some reason I feel silly when asked what my upcoming surgery is. It's only a toenail and some skin being removed. It's not like I'm getting a body part removed, or some sort of life altering surgery.

Yet I've been told the recovery is at least a week, and the pain is quite bad. So should I feel silly when asked why I'm getting operated on? The surgery needs to be done, as I'm having a hard time walking these days without causing myself pain.

But I just can't get over the fact that, ultimately, the surgery is silly and superflous.