A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Usually at the end of November you see the President of the US sparing a turkey or pardoning it so it does not get eaten. I cannot recall seeing that this year maybe because of the election legal business. So did it happen as the media usually covers it or is it like the White House Correspondents dinner that he consistently ducks ?

If you wonder why the Postal Service can be painfully slow at times...this is the itinerary of a little something I got for myself;  I'm basically at the West Texas/central New Mexico junction.

Item was stored in Phoenix

Departed Phoenix ---> San Bernardino CA (basically Los Angeles geographically)

Departed San Bernardino ---> Hebron, KY...a MASSIVE overshoot.  Hebron is NE Kentucky, only about 15 or so miles from Cincinnati.

And it's on its way back.

Phoenix is ~ 300 miles from me by road.  This package is likely to rack up 3500 frequent flyer miles, or about 4000 miles by roads.  And 2 days ---> 8 days..  Why THIS crazy of a route???  Even in a hub and spoke approach it makes no sense.

We have weird mushrooms in our front yard.  They seem to be these things, "slate grey elfin saddle", except the link is to a species that supposedly is eastern North America only.  They are a dark grey color, including both stalk and cap, and the cap are lumpy, droopy misshapen things; the biggest stands about 6 inches tall; we've got six to ten of them over about six-foot-by-eight-foot area centered on a fir tree, straddling a cyclone fence.  They first showed up last winter, under a fir tree in our yard, but that's also a place where a boxwood hedge died out about ten years back and we didn't dig out those roots.  Both times they've appeared has been in terminal autumn and winter (late November, through December, into January); last winter they vanished when we had a snowfall.  They're still here so far this winter.

So far none of them have said, "Feed me, Seymour".  But I wouldn't be all that surprised to have that happen....

So today we picked up and delivered half of the Christmas table settings, got the Christmas log cake, got parcel tape, got the last cards and got two cards off into the post for my friends. Delivery came for the last part of my Christmas present to Mum.

Yesterday went into the large Sainsburys that my mother will not go into as it is too big. My mission ? To get a gilet for my mother's cousin's grandson and to get a whole load of Nectar points by buying $25 of clothes, $5 of bakery goods, $5 of chocolate and $5 of general food and drink. This would give 1530 extra points which I did.

I just need to send two vouchers for Christmas to my niece and nephew and I am done.

Had to do a trip out to several places in close vicinity to each other. Got to the Post Office and got a set of cards off to my brother and family and I was one of the last customers. Went to the butchers and got beef dripping and chipolatas. Picked up medicines (pills) for mother that would otherwise run out before Christmas. Then into a shop to get 3 bottles of cider for £5. Total cost $25 approx.

This was really good and fulfilling.

Shush !

Can you hear that ?

Sounds like laughter, it IS laughter.

But it is not nice laughter, wholesome laughter. It is cackling laughter, malicious laughter, mad scientist type of laughter.

But who would laugh like that ?

Why it's, it's, it's ME !

I got something in the post. The new edition of King of Tokyo but this is the Dark Edition. Sort of like 80s/90s Japanese film Godzilla.

And when the travel restrictions lift I get to go and see friends and unleash it on them.............

Cue maniacal laughter.......

The BBC had Sports Personality of the Year yesterday which Lewis Hamilton won. The team prize went to Liverpool FC and it was collected by their manager Jurgen Klopp who rather cheekily said it was 'all the sweeter to pick up the award in Manchester'

For the no-soccer aware M*******r U****d and now Manchester City  are major rivals to Liverpool.