A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

LOL

Spoilered for NSFW Language Video:

Gist: Uwe Boll, the worst director ever (my opinion) tried and failed to fund movies via crowdfunding. So he made a big FU video to Kickstarter and other Crowdfunding to say he was done with it.

So, thank you Kickstarter for at least trying to give the clueless a clue. 

Seventy years ago today, the Trinity test at White Sands. Not the beginning of the atomic age (that happened at Stagg Field late 1942), but the date on which it became possible for non-physicists to visit destruction of that magnitude on others.

"...Thus, many Iraqis believed that American troops wore sunglasses that enabled them to see through clothing, and had armor vests that were actually air conditioned. When they first encountered these beliefs, U.S. troops thought the Arabs were putting them on. Then it sank in that Arabs really believe this stuff. It was a scary, or amusing, moment for many Western troops.

"However, many troops learned to live with, and even exploit, these odd beliefs. When troops at one base discovered that they weren't being attacked much, because many of the locals believed that the base was surrounded by a force field, the troops would casually make reference to their force field. They would do this inside the base if any Iraqis were nearby and especially when they were outside the wire and among the locals. This reinforced the force field myth and made the base safer. Other troops would invent new fantasies, like pretending that a handheld bit of military electronics was actually a mind reading device. That often made interrogations go much quicker. Not all Arabs believe in this stuff, and those that didn't and worked for the Americans, often as an interpreter, could only shrug their shoulders when asked about it."

I was really looking forward to meeting my brother and his friends to see the local stop on the "Last" Rush Tour. I had never seen the band life, I like them but I'm not in like with them. Pete, Chuck, and Kevin however, ARE huge fans so we were going to meet at a restaurant and have dinner, then go to the show then I'd catch the MAX home. Or Bus if that was easier. 

I was looking forward to it. It was going to be on Saturday. 

Turns out I had the day wrong.

I got home from work started getting laundry ready, ordered dinner in and settled in for the night. When the delivery guy called to be let into the building...it wasn't the delivery guy.

The Show was tonight. It was my brother wondering where I was. 

EXCREMENT! 

Food shows up and I devour a burger like I was a ravenous T-Rex and it was a burger. I check the max schedule, I have 20 minutes to catch the streetcar to the max to make the show at 7:30.

I stop. Wait. I can take a cab. 

Call the cab given an estimate of 15 minutes and $15. He shows up 10 minutes later because he had to stop for a potty break. But he gets me there at 7:05. And here's the funny bit. He forgot to start the meter until we'd already crossed the bridge. Maybe he felt bad for taking a poop. I do not know. But my $15 fare was now $7. I gave him a nice tip and meet the gang for the show.

Wow. 

It was great. The only complaint I have is the Rose Garden (won't call it by the other name) has kind of crappy acoustics. There was a very tinny trebly sound through most of the show which really worked against Alex's guitar work. 

That said, they were awesome. I'd heard about their funny stuff they did on tours, movies, washing machines on stage, etc. They exploded almost literally into some of the tunes from the latest album which I'd neglected to listen to. We stood up and didn't sit til Intermission and then again until the show was over. I am old and fat now it was highly uncomfortable after a bit. Also people around us were sitting back down after certain songs except the four in front of us, us and the four behind us. I felt angry stares from an older gentleman.

Anyway. They did a cool thing, after the first two songs Geddy thanked everyone for coming and explained we were going to go backwards over 40 years of Rush. And with big video displays and rather humorous props I got to see bits of their various shows through the years. With "Stage Guys" taking things away. The washing machines and weirdness of the later tours gave way to huge stacks of marshal amps for the 80's stuff which gave way to smaller and smaller "sets" until they did the encore in a backdrop of a high school gym with a disco ball and two amps on chairs. It was a great gimmick and the videos they played during intermission, a few of the songs, before the encore and after the band had departed were fun.

The only song I wished they'd played was  Time Stand Still. But then Pete and Kevin giddily told me how they hadn't ever heard Distant Early Warning or Cynus X-1 so that was cool. Oh and the encore bit was forwarded by Eugene Levy introducing them and telling the audience they opened for KISS twice. And during the first encore song before segueing into the highschool gym they played in a "small venue" with a card board cut out of KISS being moved about the stage. 

Then the great show ended and I caught the wrong train home and took 2 hours to correct that error by bus. All in all, an interesting evening.

Fifteen years ago, I would have been willing to bet money (had some agent put me up to such a wager) that there would never, ever appear in a respected scientific journal a picture-caption combination wherein the caption in its entirety read, "A fracking wellhead."

And yet, there it is, in the 12 June 2015 issue of Science, page 1204.