A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

A hazard with listening to the iPod on the bus ride to work is that I have had the bass riff from In-a-Gadda-da-Vida running through my head all since then. Worse things can happen, but since I do whistle as I walk outside, it does get repetitious.

I liked Jen Campbell's poem (I suggested the theme of dust) so much I over layed it on a picture of the Aussie Outback.

Arlene wrote in notes that we came from the farm / that our hair grew downwards / because of the way the apples fall. / She says if we run fast enough / our feet will track / a nebula shape across the grass. / Like mushroom circles when we were five. / Like a row of sweet shops with arrows / all pointing to the ground.

[tag word: DUST - Bazza Clarke @bazzaclarke]

I was pondering the nature of the way my chosen field affects the wardrobe choices we techies make, and the style that follows.

Our "working uniform" tends to be black, functional (lots of pockets are common), tight enough to work safely around power tools and climb in, with footwear that has good traction and ankle support (Combat boots, docs, high tops), gloves, and generally something of a utility belt with usual suite of keys, multitool, flashlight, and often some sort of cargo pouch. Multimeters, c-wrenchs, Knives, tape measures and/or cordless drills all make fairly frequent appearances. Kneepads aren't uncommon, nor are kidney belts and elbowpads.

No wonder our personal styles tend to run into "action hero" territory.

Our "working uniform" tends to be black, functional (lots of pockets are common), tight enough to work safely around power tools and climb in, with footwear that has good traction and ankle support (Combat boots, docs, high tops), gloves, and generally something of a utility belt with usual suite of keys, multitool, flashlight, and often some sort of cargo pouch. Multimeters, c-wrenchs, Knives, tape measures and/or cordless drills all make fairly frequent appearances. Kneepads aren't uncommon, nor are kidney belts and elbowpads.

An outfit like that with the right equipment sounds like a good night out on the town to me :)

I am rapidly running out of time and options. I wake up at three in the morning and start thinking' date=' and can't go back to sleep. Then I stagger off to my dead end job and sleepwalk through the day. Repeat as desired.[/quote']

Teh Bunneh's got what looks like a great set of articles on getting to sleep Here, Here and Here.