A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I need more minions. Writing my own 150 word bio sketch for the convention is annoying.

What would you want to see in a bio sketch in a sci-fi convention program for some lame-a$$ science guest of honor you never heard of before?

When I was a boy, I asked my mother about her father. I wouldn't meet my grandfather until several years later, since he lived in another country. Anyway, my mother told me her father had fought in World War 2 as a guerrilla. I didn't know that particular term at the time, and I freaked out at the thought that my grandfather was a gorilla. :angst:

Two years ago five out of my seven siblings (me included) were unemployed. As of today, I'm the only one, and I'm a full time student. Things are looking up.

I think my younger brother was trying to kill himself before getting the job of a lifetime, he's recently started a new diet and exercise program to avoid the diabetes I've been diagnosed with.

So in my own little neck of the woods the unemployment problem is lessening.

I wonder what would happen if you were at the airport, about to go through Security, and you stripped down to your skivvies to walk through the checkpoint.

You'd have to be wearing something really simple -- t-shirt, slip-on pants (no belt, no buttons, no zipper), sandals with no socks. Something you could just peel off in 30 seconds and toss into the little plastic containers. Just walk through the scanner in your tighty-whities.

I'm sure they'd find some pretense to arrest you for it, but really -- isn't that basically the point they're trying to get to anyway? I honestly wonder what would happen (especially if a bunch of people started doing it)... :think:

I remember once at an American Astronomical Society meeting one January there was a session where the society president ended his introduction of the speaker (it was an invited talk) with the comment, "And to the people from the press at this session, please be informed that the comments you will hear are embargoed until noon Eastern time." It started at 9AM and ran for an hour.

That sort of made everyone in the room sit up straighter, because that's a guarantee that something new is to be announced and that it will be Interesting.

That was correct, but the comments were actually (from the press's point of view) disappointing: it was a retraction of a result published the previous summer.

It's also the only scientific talk I've been to where the speaker got an ovation at the end.

I find myself increasingly disenfranchised with this modern world. I have no interest in the latest fads or technological inventions. Instead, I find myself wishing for a simpler time. While the world marches forward, I find myself wanting to go backward.

I don't think I'm ever going to get past level 4 in Guitar Hero. Cochise and Unsung are just friggin' crazy. I mean, Fat Lip and Take it Off were tough, but I managed to fake my way through them (Ziggy Stardust was not hard at all). But these last two? I got boo'd off the stage in less than a minute. And it's not even like I like these two songs very much, so I don't have a lot of motivation to practice them over and over.

Bah.