A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

One frustration a young activist finds in the Jewish world is qualified goodwill. You have cause or issue that needs to be addressed via tikun haolam (rectification of the world) - you want to be a do-gooder. Everyone is all for it. You should create an organization, they say. You should go raise funds, they suggest. But a name? From who should you raise funds? No, the last thing a fundraiser, Jewish or otherwise, will give you is a name. The cards get shoved up against the vest. You are on your own. People who have created their own organizations and are encouraging you suddenly forget all they know about grant writing. No, you should ask someone else. The ways and means, and especially the donor lists, are the crown jewels which must be guarded like the apple of one's own eye. Its understanable. But developing a mentor is no easy task. Ah, but you know who will give you names? Scads and scads of names. The keys to the crown jewels. The donor lists and the financials for charitable foundations in the Jewish, and especially zionist, worlds? Ah, but the anti-semites and Israel haters, or course. They will out zionist funding like its going out of style. I woke up with an epiphany last night. A few perhaps disingenuous phone calls later and I've proven my theory. I've received photo-copies of donor lists for several zionist fund-raising juggernauts and financials for some of the bigger charitable foundations in my email. Perhaps I should have told the anti Israel lobby groups I called I was calling from Beit El.... Harg ye zionist treasure-ships - prepare to be boarded!

People have been telling me my haircut looks good lately. I know they mean well, but I haven't had a haircut in over a month. It could be that they're finally noticing my general diminished hairiness as I trimmed about a pound of hair off of the beard a couple weeks ago. Nobody's said anything about that at all.

On my way back down to Boston on Thursday I passed this accident scene. I've seen the remnants of fatal traffic accidents before, so I don't know why this one bothered me so much. Maybe it was because the medevac chopper didn't seem to be in any hurry, or because of the tarp over the front of the minivan, or just because I had a two hour drive to think about it. At any rate--those of you reading this, do me a favor and be a little more careful when you drive, okay? I guarantee you this woman had no idea she was going to die on Thursday.

Thursday morning: work 4AM--12:30PM

Friday evening: work 2:30PM--11PM

Saturday: off (after working 6 days of 7 in the week. Yay! I'm indispensable!).

Sunday: work 3:30PM--12:00AM

Monday: work 5AM--1:30PM

Tuesday-Wednesday: Off.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that my schedule writer is the handsomest, smartest, bestest guy ever, and you are all free to tell him I said so. Lord knows, I wouldn't want to get on his bad side.