A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Got rear ended back on the 3rd. I'm OK, just bruised up a bit. My car was totaled. So now I'm trying to find a new car. I've looked at a lot of nice cars. I just don't fit between the steering wheel and the door jamb. When did all the car manufacturers decide to move the doors forward because everyone is a skinny 20-something?

Doc

Oh let the sun beat down upon my face

With stars to fill my dream.

I am a traveler of both time and space

To be where I have been.

To sit with elders of a gentle race

This world has seldom seen.

They talk of days for which they sit and wait

When all will be revealed.

excerpt of "Kashmir", lyrics by Robert Plant

So if an astronaut and cosmonaut explores outer space, what do you call a person who explores inner space? Mystic? "akasha-naut"?

IF a person can be SUPERstitious' date=' why can't they just be Stitious?[/quote']

superstitious dictionary.giflate 14c., from O.Fr. superstitieux, from L. superstitiosus, from superstitionem (nom. superstitio) "prophecy, soothsaying, excessive fear of the gods," perhaps originally "state of religious exaltation," related to superstes (gen. superstitis) "standing over or above," also "standing by, surviving," from superstare "stand on or over, survive," from super "above" (see super-) + stare "to stand," from PIE base *sta- "to stand" (see stet). There are many theories for the L. sense development, but none has yet triumphed. Superstition is attested from 1402. In Eng., originally especially of religion; sense of "unreasonable notion" is from 1794.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=superstitious