A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I have to give a powerpoint presentation in 30 minutes. My slides suck don't really know how to use the device...my fault, didn't practice...all I have going for me is a few anecdotes, 3 statistics, 2.5 factoids, and some good advice...and a picture of a broken piggybank.

So McDonald's had their Monopoly promotion again, and being the scavenger that I am, I hoovered up a lot of forgotten game pieces that my coworkers left behind. Recently, each piece has a code on it that you enter into the online game, which is a virtual Monopoly board where, if you get a monopoly, you win the appropriate prize.

However, the prizes in the online game can still be pretty big, so while I'm sure it's still randomly generated, the virtual 2d6 that you roll are predetermined. So it quickly turns into the most bizarre and frustrating game of Monopoly you have ever experienced, one where no matter how many times you go around the board, you will not get a monopoly... ever.

Introducing Readability a bookmarklet that will transform your web-reading experience:

[David Pogue NYT]

It’s a new button on your Web browser’s toolbar. With one click, it eliminates EVERYTHING from the Web page you’re reading except the text and photos. No ads, blinking, links, banners, promos or anything else.

[...]

Readability is far more than an ad blocker. It addresses multiple unpleasant trends in Web layout these days: type getting too small, layouts getting cluttered and complex, text overlapping with graphics, ads interrupting the flow of the prose, and so on. (You can print or e-mail the cleaned-up page, too.)

I think I might be in love.