Making someone with tentacles

Renen

Pretty new player, looked around couldn't find any in depth discussion on this topic.

How would I make a character that has "tentacles" (think Dr. Oc)? The thing is that those tentacles should be able to help you swing around (again like doc oc) to get places, entangled people, hit people, stuff like that. How would you make this power? Extra limbs? Some sort of telekinesis?

A lot of it comes down to how you're defining the power. Honestly, you could just take them as Extra Limbs (possibly with some Stretchnig), but you could also use them as an Entangle (wrapping up an opponent), or even as Telekinesis (especially if they have a massive range. I would buy all three in a Multipower.

Movement Powers

Clinging

Running

Leaping

Swinging

Offensive Powers

+20 Strength

Combat Skill Levels w/Hand to Hand Combat

Extra Limbs

Stretching

Telekinesis Area Effect Radius

Hand to Hand, Area Effect Radius

Defensive Powers

Combat Skill Levels w/Hand to Hand (Block, Deflection)

Other Powers

Multitasking Limbs +8 Skill Levels w/Agility Skills.

Enhanced Senses 360 Degree Touch Sense Group

Depending on the sensitivity of the tentacles you might also want to buy

enhanced senses +to Perception , touch only, tentacles

How accurately can they hold something?  They will start off with a -3 penalty as "extra limbs" unless you also get ambidexterity.

As for costs, my recommendation would be to focus on what you want the character to have and then look at the cost.  Keep in mind that many of the abilities you want can probably work in a multipower.

Don't forget to include complications: distinctive features

Having recently run an NPC villain with mechanical tentacles, I can vouch for the version with the arms bought as Automaton Followers with Stretching and a Mind Link to the main character.  The character had 6 tentacles, so I bought them as three separate Followers (each consisting of two tentacles).  This allows one set to hold action and block / deflect attacks, one set to "carry" him around the battlefield, and the third set to attack foes. And if he doesn't need to move about, two sets can attack foes (including each set attacking a different foe without suffering Multiple Attack penalties).

One warning:  they're a bit expensive that way.  The PCs in my campaign are currently around 515 points, and Doctor Decapod is 572 points, with each Follower / pair of tentacles at 475 points.  But I'm sure they could be scaled down some for a lower-point game.

I've attached a PDF of the main character and his tentacles.  Note that each pair of tentacles has 10 BODY, so I ruled that doing 5 BODY to a pair of tentacles destroyed one tentacle.

Also note that his Neural Scrambler only works if someone touches his armor, not his tentacles.  I worried at first that his Neural Scrambler would also affect his tentacles (which are always in contact with him) but then realized that it only does STUN damage, and the tentacles only take BODY damage.

(And mad props to my friend Bill Jackson for his artwork of - and initial conception of - Doc Decapod.)

DoctorDecapod.pdf

A bit of stretching to represent length and some swinging is cheap.  A few extra combat skill levels for grab to represent how easy it is for you goes a long ways.  Extra limbs are always cheap, its 5 points for as many extra ones as you want.  Add indirect to strength to represent being able to reach up into machines and tight spaces where bones and hands can't go, and then you've got a basic character.  Extra strength to represent all those tentacles holding at once for grab maneuvers is handy.  You could even buy martial arts maneuvers to represent tentacle-fu where your character has learned to fight with them.

• 2 months later...

Having recently run an NPC villain with mechanical tentacles, I can vouch for the version with the arms bought as Automaton Followers with Stretching and a Mind Link to the main character.  The character had 6 tentacles, so I bought them as three separate Followers (each consisting of two tentacles).  This allows one set to hold action and block / deflect attacks, one set to "carry" him around the battlefield, and the third set to attack foes. And if he doesn't need to move about, two sets can attack foes (including each set attacking a different foe without suffering Multiple Attack penalties).

One warning:  they're a bit expensive that way.  The PCs in my campaign are currently around 515 points, and Doctor Decapod is 572 points, with each Follower / pair of tentacles at 475 points.  But I'm sure they could be scaled down some for a lower-point game.

I've attached a PDF of the main character and his tentacles.  Note that each pair of tentacles has 10 BODY, so I ruled that doing 5 BODY to a pair of tentacles destroyed one tentacle.

Also note that his Neural Scrambler only works if someone touches his armor, not his tentacles.  I worried at first that his Neural Scrambler would also affect his tentacles (which are always in contact with him) but then realized that it only does STUN damage, and the tentacles only take BODY damage.

(And mad props to my friend Bill Jackson for his artwork of - and initial conception of - Doc Decapod.)

The Equipment Guide version of the Steel Tentacles (four tentacles) has 20 Body and costs 525 points to make.  As a follower, they cost 105 points.

One thing that is missing for the write-up for the Steel Tentacles is the fact that they should allow you to climb walls.  The Steel Tentacles should allow for wall climbing by rending "handholds" in the surface of walls.