Troubleshoot My Shapechanging Weapon

g3taso

I am thinking of a weapon that can become other weapons. In this case, it's a trenchknife (1d6 KA HtH bought as Variable Special Effects (slashing, puncturing or blunt trauma damage) that can elongate to any weapon the character has familiarity with in the Blades group (so long as it's one-handed), and I was hoping to do it up to 3x per day for a turn each with it remaining the base form the remainder of the time.  I thought Multiform seemed a good choice, but I cannot figure out how to model it. Below is my first attempt, and it is obviously not working correctly

Multiform (90 Character Points in the most expensive form) (Instant Change, x4 Number Of Forms), Inherent (+1/4) (41 Active Points); 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-3/4), OIF (; -1/2)    (btw 90pts I just threw out there as a higher limit, since larger forms might have more damage and advantages)

Mebbe someone could suggest how to fix it. Or might a VPP or multipower work better? I'm scratching my head and hoping combined brain cells are better than relying on just my own. Transform has problems being viable. If ya got thoughts I'd love to hear them, and if your thoughts look look like Hero Designer outputs so much the better.

Sounds to me like it's just an expansion of the Variable Special Effects advantage the weapon already has.  Unless each form is mechanically distinct (such as one form being Armor Piercing while another has +1 Stun Multiplier or one form does Killing damage and the other does Normal damage), you shouldn't need anything more than just the VSFX.

Normally, for a truly re-configurable weapon (i.e. one that has different functions based on form, like the old D&D Rod of Lordly Might), I'd simply build it as a MultiPower with a single fixed slot for each form.

Sounds to me like it's just an expansion of the Variable Special Effects advantage the weapon already has.  Unless each form is mechanically distinct (such as one form being Armor Piercing while another has +1 Stun Multiplier or one form does Killing damage and the other does Normal damage), you shouldn't need anything more than just the VSFX.

Normally, for a truly re-configurable weapon (i.e. one that has different functions based on form, like the old D&D Rod of Lordly Might), I'd simply build it as a MultiPower with a single fixed slot for each form.

Would that be able to accommodate increased weapon damage (like if it changed into a 1 1/2d6 sword?

Is this for a superheroes or heroic setting?

A weapon that can morph between the size of a dagger and that of a broadsword is going to cost more points than either single real weapon would normally because it arguably would not qualify for the Accesable part of Focus (It's a sword that is concealable as a Dagger!). It probably shouldn't take Real Weapon either. As a result it's going require an inelegant asymmetric Multipower build. The other option worth exploring would be using Lockout for each individual form (I'm pretty sure this will end up being more expensive than a Multipower though).

HM

Would that be able to accommodate increased weapon damage (like if it changed into a 1 1/2d6 sword?

Would which be able to accommodate it?  The MultiPower could, certain.  If all it's doing is changing size and DCs, I'd build it as the highest damage it's capable of, give it VSFX and call it a day.

For example:

Variable Length Sword: 2d6 HKA (30); Variable Special Effects - shorter blades (limited group, +1/4) [Active Cost 37], OAF (-1) [Real Cost 18]

If you want to reinforce the idea that making the blade shorter also makes it do less damage, you could add in a Limited Power limitation:

Variable Length Sword: 2d6 HKA (30); Variable Special Effects - shorter blades (limited group, +1/4) [Active Cost 37], OAF (-1), Limited Power - damage is proportional to length (-1/4) [Real Cost 15]

Would which be able to accommodate it?  The MultiPower could, certain.  If all it's doing is changing size and DCs, I'd build it as the highest damage it's capable of, give it VSFX and call it a day.

For example:

Variable Length Sword: 2d6 HKA (30); Variable Special Effects - shorter blades (limited group, +1/4) [Active Cost 37], OAF (-1) [Real Cost 18]

If you want to reinforce the idea that making the blade shorter also makes it do less damage, you could add in a Limited Power limitation:

Variable Length Sword: 2d6 HKA (30); Variable Special Effects - shorter blades (limited group, +1/4) [Active Cost 37], OAF (-1), Limited Power - damage is proportional to length (-1/4) [Real Cost 15]

Since I manifested here, I've been impressed with how your mind works. That is surprisingly elegant. As a retired engineer, I appreciate that.

I think the limitation on damage might only be worth -0, unless it takes a significant amount of time (a Turn or more) to change shape.

Is this for a superheroes or heroic setting?

A weapon that can morph between the size of a dagger and that of a broadsword is going to cost more points than either single real weapon would normally because it arguably would not qualify for the Accesable part of Focus (It's a sword that is concealable as a Dagger!).

HM

Do you not build daggers with Accessible Focus? Nothing in the description makes it sound any less accessible to me. Long or short it's still subject to the Disarm and Grab Weapon maneuvers.

I am thinking of a weapon that can become other weapons. In this case, it's a trenchknife (1d6 KA HtH bought as Variable Special Effects (slashing, puncturing or blunt trauma damage) that can elongate to any weapon the character has familiarity with in the Blades group (so long as it's one-handed), and I was hoping to do it up to 3x per day for a turn each with it remaining the base form the remainder of the time.  I thought Multiform seemed a good choice, but I cannot figure out how to model it. Below is my first attempt, and it is obviously not working correctly

Multiform (90 Character Points in the most expensive form) (Instant Change, x4 Number Of Forms), Inherent (+1/4) (41 Active Points); 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-3/4), OIF (; -1/2)    (btw 90pts I just threw out there as a higher limit, since larger forms might have more damage and advantages)

Mebbe someone could suggest how to fix it. Or might a VPP or multipower work better? I'm scratching my head and hoping combined brain cells are better than relying on just my own. Transform has problems being viable. If ya got thoughts I'd love to hear them, and if your thoughts look look like Hero Designer outputs so much the better.

If you want it to grow larger for a limited time only, buy the dagger and then buy +1d6 Killing with the Charges Limitation (and possibly with a higher STR Min if you're using STR Min.)

Lucius Alexander

And a three humped palindromedary

I think the limitation on damage might only be worth -0, unless it takes a significant amount of time (a Turn or more) to change shape.

Requiring a full turn for something that's only saving you 3 points might be a bit much. OTOH, Limited Power is always subject to GM and campaign-specific evaluation, moreso than most other Lims.

Edited by Netzilla