Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

8 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Obviously she hasn't heard from Trump.  I mean, her husband gave his life protecting his family.  In Trump's mind, that makes her husband a chump.

Very true. It's worth noting that the lady did not accept the President's call, saying that her husband wouldn't have approved. But that's on her. The fact that Biden reached out to her and Trump didn't says a lot. But I suspect I'm preaching to the choir here.

4 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

Very true. It's worth noting that the lady did not accept the President's call, saying that her husband wouldn't have approved. But that's on her. The fact that Biden reached out to her and Trump didn't says a lot. But I suspect I'm preaching to the choir here.

She spoke to Trump today...likely after he heard the story was out yesterday

Edited by Starlord

2 minutes ago, Stanley Teriaca said:

Probally not. I think he was in high school when those happened.

Ado if was dead before Donald was born. Even if he was born then, what's a five year old going to do against an assassin?

Again, it is unfair asking if he did anything to save people who wasn't even born yet.

I don't like Trump. I won't vote for Trump. I won't defend him from fair arguments. But asking if he could do the impossible is not a fair argument.

Stanley, it sounds like you misinterpreted those questions. They aren't, "Why did Donald Trump not save those people?" The questions are, "Why did God not save those people, but did save Donald Trump?"

Unless you're implying that Donald Trump is God. Which I don't believe you are, but there are people who would. ;)

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Stanley, it sounds like you misinterpreted those questions. They aren't, "Why did Donald Trump not save those people?" The questions are, "Why did God not save those people, but did save Donald Trump?"

For me, yeah, you're getting really close to a touchstone question.  Take it to something totally neutral politically.  The Boston Massacre bombing.  The Mandalay Bay shooting.  SERIOUSLY EXTREME?  The OKC bombing in '85 where 19 children...mostly daycare, IIRC, they may not have been old enough for school.  If God is the ultimate arbiter of life and death, why did these people die?  

Calling this "God's will" betrays complete callousness, IMO.

Well, "God's will" has been used as explanation for a great deal over the millennia that we moderns wouldn't approve of. In some contexts that attitude almost certainly does reflect callousness. But I've read and heard quite a few proclaimed religious authorities who advocate surrendering yourself to the will of God, accepting His judgement and not setting your own above His. In that context the motivation seems less callousness, than a fatalistic iteration of faith.

Not being religious myself, the argument doesn't carry any weight with me. But there appear to be millions of Americans today who believe that Donald Trump is the Chosen of God. The questions you ask about all those other people or events, simply don't apply to the Chosen of God. It's a shallow but tidy little tautology that renders contradictions moot.

Edited by Lord Liaden

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Well, "God's will" has been used as explanation for a great deal over the millennia that we moderns wouldn't approve of. In some contexts that attitude almost certainly does reflect callousness. But I've read and heard quite a few proclaimed religious authorities who advocate surrendering yourself to the will of God, accepting His judgement and not setting your own above His. In that context the motivation seems less callousness, than a fatalistic iteration of faith.

Not being religious myself, the argument doesn't carry any weight with me. But there appear to be millions of Americans today who believe that Donald Trump is the Chosen of God. The questions you ask about all those other people or events, simply don't apply to the Chosen of God. It's a shallow but tidy little tautology that renders contradictions moot.

I always want to ask, "Which god?"

2 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Certainly not the one described in the Gospel of Matthew.

But there was a golden calf in Exodus....

You do realize your distinction won't matter to them. You're scoring chess points against people playing lawn darts.

Edited by Lord Liaden

With the way Cannon has been acting during the Trump Trial,  she should be placed under the microscope of true justice and given a dishonorable discharge from duty. Treat it the same way the same as a military dishonorable discharge with every thing that comes with. 

40 minutes ago, Asperion said:

With the way Cannon has been acting during the Trump Trial,  she should be placed under the microscope of true justice and given a dishonorable discharge from duty. Treat it the same way the same as a military dishonorable discharge with every thing that comes with. 

Desirable or not...it's irrelevant.  There is no mechanism to do so, except for impeachment by the House, then conviction by the Senate.  Obviously, the current House won't even countenance such an action, so it's dead in the water.

It's also debatable whether it is desirable, in that it makes the judiciary even more politicized than now.  How many federal judges, in the areas more known for progressive interpretations, would get tossed out on their ears, if this were to become an accepted move?

Cannon isn't the problem, she's an acute symptom.

5 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

I suppose it beats wearing diapers in solidarity.

Or (I'm genx, what) from the book The World According to Garp: emulating the "Ellen Jamesians" who, ah, would have damaged their ear in solidarity while the actual Ellen James was like "I wish they wouldn't do that".  If you've read the book, it's an analogy.

I guess it's better than that?

Footage of the state police and USSS determined attempt to respond to reports of the shooter, who was set up on the roof of either the building that state police were using as their command post, or the one immediately adjacent to it. 

Edited by Old Man

Biden is reported to test posiitve for Covid...not in itself serious, but man, not what we wanna hear.

DNC has pushed back nominating Biden for a week.

VERY MUCH what we don't want to hear.  Cripes, Ohio (?) already threatened to not put a Democratic name on the ballot if it's not submitted in a timely manner...don't give states excuses.

And at this point...whether Biden should stay in or drop out...with the dysfunction this is creating, I'm seriously afraid this is becoming a No Contest...that swing and marginal voters see such doubt that they, if nothing else, won't vote at all.