Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

1 hour ago, Armitage said:

"One of its heads seemed to have a mortal wound, but its mortal wound was healed, and the whole earth marveled as they followed the beast." Revelation 13:3

Joking, obviously.

Obviously. But if I actually believed in prophecy, I wouldn't be laughing. Too damn many parallels already.

6 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Obviously. But if I actually believed in prophecy, I wouldn't be laughing. Too damn many parallels already.

Oh, evangelical trumpers are going to say this proves God is protecting and guiding Trump to keep him safe. I'm gonna use that verse to shut em up if the don't wind down on their own.

Part of the ongoing comments about the incident from NYT:

Robert Pape, a political scientist at the University of Chicago who has studied American attitudes toward political violence since the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol by a pro-Trump mob, conducted a nationwide poll on the topic last month. It found that 10 percent of those surveyed said that the “use of force is justified to prevent Donald Trump from becoming president.” A third of those who gave that answer also said they owned a gun.

Seven percent of those surveyed said they “support force to restore Trump to the presidency.” Half of them said they owned guns.

The shooting at Mr. Trump’s rally “is a consequence of such significant support for political violence in our country,” Mr. Pape wrote in an email. “Indeed, significant lone wolf attacks motivated by political violence have been growing for years in the United States, against members of Congress from both parties as well as federal officials and national leaders.”

Other studies on political violence have also found small but not insignificant numbers of Americans who support the idea of using violence to advance political ideas.

In October, the Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California, Davis, published a report that found nearly 14 percent of those surveyed strongly agreed that there would be a civil war in the United States in the next few years.

I think most of us here won't be surprised by this, but that doesn't make this support of our opinion comforting. 

I attended only one presidential campaign rally...not like southern New Mexico is a key stop on the campaign trail.  In this case?  It was on the NMSU campus, which was pretty much shut down several hours ahead of time, and all buildings with potential LOS were swept and locked tight.  Getting onto the field where the rally was...was tedious.  And there were lots, and lots, of Secret Service people in and around.  This was '96, too...politics was much less confrontational.  I can only believe security is generally tighter......and that for the rest of this election season, it'll be insane.

One of the most destructive legacies of Donald Trump is undermining Americans' faith in their political institutions. If you believe your government is unjust and corrupt, violence appears to be a legitimate, perhaps necessary course to protect yourself, even to people who would not consider it otherwise.

The lead story won't be Biden's age for a few days....

Unfortunately, this likely seals the electuon for Trump.  He'll campaign on this moment till the end...the raising of his fist while bleeding will be an iconic moment.  An unfortunate comparison put next to Biden who often appears frail.

Meanwhile, this a catastrophic security failure.  There needs to be hearings on how it happened and a clear, bipartisan reason needs to given.

Edited by Starlord

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

Unfortunately, this likely seals the electuon for Trump.  He'll campaign on this moment till the end...the raising of his fist while bleeding will be an iconic moment.  An unfortunate comparison put next to Biden who often appears frail.

Partly because the Democrats aren't as sleazy as him and won't run ads that say something like "He arrogantly raised his fist in triumph as members of his audience bled and died."

29 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Based on a legal argument most experts considered highly dubious, but which was apparently bolstered by an independent ruling by Clarence Thomas.

I'm really having to fight the urge to draw a socially-inappropriate analogy to Thomas. :angry:

Any accurate analogy for that man is socially inappropriate.  Because he is socially inappropriate.