Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

20 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

And I question the expertise of George Clooney outside of anything but acting.

The same expertise as any of us....He was a major fundraiser completely on Biden's side and then reverses after sitting down with him.  It's emblematic of what is happening - democrats (rightly or wrongly) shooting themselves in the foot.  Sadly, this may be the story until the next debate - hopefully Biden performs great and can end the narrative.

4 hours ago, Cygnia said:

This tracks with my suspicions: It's the most dramatic, exciting story at the moment, so journalists will ride it for all it's worth.

That they can feel high-minded about how "the public needs to know" while they shamelessly trawl for eyeballs is a bonus.

Americans will also continue to see hand-wringing about this coverage, specifically that it comes at the expense of other coverage or that it runs the risk of affecting the very story it’s meant to illuminate.

And yes, I expect to see thumb-sucking op-eds about how they're covering the story to start any day now, thoughn it may already have started ioutside my usual channels. Because I suspect that deep down, media types believe they are the most important figures, and what should really interest the public is them.

I've seen it in other news cycles. The story shifts to the media themselves, and coverage of the coverage supplants the real events.

Dean Shomshak

17 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

That "many" is another deliberate exaggeration. It was a grand total of nine in Congress, and they've all since retracted their remarks.

I wonder how widely the retractions will be covered?

Dean Shomshak

Howard Dean lost his presidential campaign because of one scream. There's no telling what will gain legs with the public. Even the media can't predict it.

But I follow normally level-headed commentators who watched the debate, and say that they saw the proof that Biden is in decline with their own eyes. At this point I don't expect anything to shake that perception.

I would not want to be Joe Biden thinking he lost the election because he chose to overwork against everyone's advice.

Elon Musk calls for “criminal prosecution” of X ad boycott perpetrators

After the House of Representatives Committee on the Judiciary released a report accusing the Global Alliance for Responsible Media (GARM) of colluding with companies to censor conservative voices online, Elon Musk chimed in. In a post on X (formerly Twitter), Musk wrote that X "has no choice but to file suit against the perpetrators and collaborators" behind an advertiser boycott on his platform.

"Hopefully, some states will consider criminal prosecution," Musk wrote, leading several X users to suggest that Musk wants it to be illegal for brands to refuse to advertise on X.

The Guardian caught the New York Times in fibbing by trying to imply Biden had Parkinson’s.

On Monday, the Times sent out as “breaking news” a story whose headline announced that an expert in Parkinson’s disease had visited the White House eight times in a recent eight-month period; much further down in the story we learn that the same doctor also had made 10 visits to the White House in 2012, and that he has supported the White House medical team for more than a dozen years. But many people never get past the headline.

It's slightly horrifying to me now that I ever liked the Tesla car brand.  But that was before I knew Elon Musk was... How he is.

No disrespect to anyone who owns and likes Tesla's the vehicles.

I just will never buy one while he is in the mix.

Nor SpaceX or The Boring Company.

Edited by MrWolf

48 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's slightly horrifying to me now that I ever liked the Tesla car brand.  But that was before I knew Elon Musk was... How he is.

No disrespect to anyone who owns and likes Tesla's the vehicles.

I just will never buy one while he is in the mix.

Nor SpaceX or The Boring Company.

Yep.  I can relate.

Someone I talked about the Biden media thing recently with believes it may be exacerbated or even full-on caused by a purposeful misinformation campaign by non-US actors ... beyond what recent articles showed about the Trump campaign alone setting the stage by questioning Biden's fitness.

Which, if what the briefers say about Trump is accurate... wow.  Just wow.  It's a whole other level of "look, the other fellow is the problem not MEEEEE".

That said, do I have specific proof of said campaign or who is part of it?  No.

Would it surprise me in any way to be orchestrated or championed or exploited by non-US actors?  Also no.

/it's not paranoia if some ARE demonstrably "out to get us" in an election year.

OK, so I'm just now goofing off on the net, making some comments on a different forum.  Doorbell rings.  For me, that's quite rare.  First thought?  Missionaries.  Second...some sales person.  Bleah, either way.

Oh, but it's so much worse.

One man....wearing a Kennedy for President t shirt.

He starts making his spiel...I go "you have got to be kidding me."  He concedes defeat.

I mean...Kennedy???  That's Scylla and Charybdis.