Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

The Georgia grand jury investigating 2020 election interference recommended charges against 39 prominent individuals. DA Fani Willis is going ahead on 19 of them, for now.

A panel of three federal judges again struck down Alabama's jury-rigged electoral map for 2024, and has appointed a special master to draw up a new map. Their previous decision was upheld by the SCOTUS.

It's premature to give up on the American system.

Edited by Lord Liaden

See, that's the glass half full view.

The flip side is, the attempts that have been prevented, have only been the most egregious ones, I believe.  If there is a line in the sand...every suggestion so far is, it's getting much too close to the totalitarian side for comfort.

EDIT:  also, these are temporary victories.  One of the massive issues is the effort to recast the education system in the image they prefer, which offers potential long term gains.  They're trying to make sure their current advantages become unassailable, and every form of opposition becomes neutralized...or severely stigmatized/demonized.  Control the schools, you control the minds.  Control the minds, you've won.

Hugh, I used to live in Sudbury, Ontario. If you don't know what that means, look it up. :P

But on the related political front, when I was a kid, air and water pollution were huge worries. Many people, including serious experts, feared that we were making our environment toxic and unlivable. If circumstances didn't change, it would have become so. But they changed. We changed them. Same sort of fears for overpopulation, and for global nuclear annihilation. We changed. The changes weren't smooth, and not all were deliberate, and they often came at a high cost. But they came. We're still here.

That's why I don't despair whenever the fear of the day is raised. In my lifetime I've seen the human race beat the odds again and again. There are very serious issues, and they carry high risk, and it's frustrating to see many people stick their heads in the sand over them. But we've been there before. It's the one irrefutable argument for hope: We're still here.

Sports news, but the understories are a tad volatile...

Michigan State suspends head football coach...and near-$100M contract...Mel Tucker.  For utterly reprehensible conduct...even if we accept Tucker's remarks at face value, which I don't.  

MSU is getting RIPPED for letting this go for 10 months...for letting him start the season as coach.  For not saying a WORD, until they had no choice.  That's the perception.  And this is the school that harbored Larry Nassar, the worst predator in college sports history.  If there's ANY institution that should be hyper-aware of the PR considerations, it's MSU.

There's no chance whatsoever that Tucker doesn't get fired...for cause, meaning his contract gets torn up...IMO.  What Tucker admitted to, makes any claim of "consent" meaningless.  At this point, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if lawyers are talking about buyout terms already, as was suggested by Wilbon on PTI.    I also suspect Tucker's lawyers realize...they're probably grasping at straws.  

2 hours ago, BarretWallace said:

Oh my.... (https://www.wsj.com/world/russia/putin-calls-trump-charges-political-persecution-1736c591?mod=hp_lead_pos5)

If this isn't a classic example of the pot calling the kettle black, I'm not sure what is.

Putin needs Trump back in the White House. That's his only practical chance to end US military support for Ukraine.

On 9/11/2023 at 2:48 PM, unclevlad said:

Sports news, but the understories are a tad volatile...

Michigan State suspends head football coach...and near-$100M contract...Mel Tucker . . . 

[snip]  

. . . talking about buyout terms already, as was suggested by Wilbon on PTI.    I also suspect Tucker's lawyers realize...they're probably grasping at straws.  

But but but if Michigan State has to buy out the contract, how will it be able to afford to pay its next football coach $10 million a year? 

Or men's and women's soccer and track and field.

It'd probably have to be both sides...Title IX.

But they'll 

a)  assert violation of the ethics/code of conduct clauses in the contract, and I think they've got a strong case right there

b)  get the donors to pony up for any buyout.  

What, you thought the *University* is paying him???? 

BWAAAHAHAHAAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.axios.com/local/detroit/2022/07/08/lawsuit-mel-tuckers-95-million-contract

It's the ULTIMATE hypocrisy...the amounts the schools collect from their donors.  T. Boone Pickens was known as one of the biggest.   As in......$650 MILLION.  Texas received almost $80 million...for 21-22 ALONE.

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/report-texas-athletic-department-ranked-2nd-in-total-revenue-and-expenses-in-2021-22/

This article doesn't break down income into categories, but you can click on each school to get the breakdown, year by year, for that school.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances