Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

So a question from someone new to the area about whether their electric bill was average or not...no, it wasn't...got me to doing some digging.

Yes, last month was the hottest July...and therefore almost certainly hottest month...in history here.  6 degrees above average.  Daily high temp records tied or set, 6 times.

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/las-cruces/month-july/monthly-average-temp

Note that this broke the OLD record by 2.6 degrees...which is more than the deviation from average for most years.  That's HOW MUCH worse the heat was this year.

For August, we're currently almost 5 degrees above average, and 4 days with record highs tied/set already.  That may change.  The storm hitting Baja and SoCal is kicking up wind here right now;  that tends to cool things a bit.  And rain's likely for Wed/Thurs.  Wednesday forecast high is actually BELOW 90...for the first time in 10 weeks.  One doesn't expect many days below 90 in that stretch, but still...there's usually a thunderstorm day or two.  Not this year.  That said?  By the weekend, the forecast high is back to upper 90s.  <sigh>

50 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I have been known to preface and editorialize on occasion :whistle:

I literally can't think of a time when it wasn't just the link to Beau.  But my memory isn't all that.  I don't have much time for videos.

Edited by Old Man

44 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I'll summarize:

Gay Ukrainian Super Soldier Program.

Is the current propaganda being broadcast on Russian TV.

Ah.  Well, the Conservative Cinematic Universe is certainly upping their game this week.  First the directed energy weapons, and now this.

Well, the idea actually does have a history. I encountered it in one of Harry Turtledove's Videssos books (first series, about the Roman legiuon shifted over to the quasi-Byzantine fantasy world). The character there attributed it to a RL Greek author. (Plastp? Not sure, it's been decades and I'm not rummaging through books to look it up.) That a gay soldier would rather die than show cowardice before his lover, so they'd be the bravest. So the Russians might not be pulling this from nowhere.

I doubt there is any social science to verify the claim. But given the official homophobia of Putin's regime, I suspect the very idea of gay soldiers on the front lines (whether entire units or not) makes their brains short out.

How can NATO top this? Maybe units trained to fight in drag?

Dean Shomshak

59 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Reported just now.

The head of the Wagner military group, Yevgeny Prigozhin, is being listed as a passenger on a plane that crashed.

Uh.  Huh.

You don't tug on Superman's cape................

Gee, doesn't seem suspicious at all!  Nothing to see here, move along, move along...

If you mean Putin, he's demonstrated that he's a long way from Superman. Then again, Prigozhin was no Lex Luthor, despite similar scalps.

I strongly doubt we'll ever know what really went on between those two, at least not until they transition into history. Although I doubt Prigozhin will be more than a footnote. But I do hope I'm still around in twenty years to read Putin's historical evaluation.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Reported just now.

The head of the Wagner military group, Yevgeny Prigozhin, is being listed as a passenger on a plane that crashed.

Uh.  Huh.

You don't tug on Superman's cape................

Planes are the new windows apparently.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/08/23/yevgeniy-prigozhin-plane-crash-ukraine-russia-live/

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Key point from the opening paragraph....

after switching from an attorney paid for by a Trump political action committee to a lawyer from the federal defender’s office in Washington,

Yeah, this is what happens when the attorney gives advice in his client's interest...rather than the interest of who's paying the tab....

Secondary:  will the prior attorney be up on ethics charges, and even possible criminal charges for suborning perjury?   It's definitely grounds for disbarment.