Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

33 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

I haven't received ANY Democrat junk mail yet.  Plenty of Republican junk mail though -- and of the "Other side is EVIL LIBRUL~!" bile rather than "this is how we'll improve your life".

Well, the Congressional race is Vasquez v. Herrell round 2.  Vasquez booted Herrell out of her comfy chair next to MTG and Boebert in '22.  Wouldn't be at all surprised this is viewed as an important district for both sides.

The pro-Vasquez stuff pushes Herrell's total abortion ban stand;  it may well be the best issue they have.  The pro-Herrell flyers try to push the usual border issues, blame the Dems for inflation, etc. etc.  Yeah, same old, same old.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

I haven't received ANY Democrat junk mail yet.  Plenty of Republican junk mail though -- and of the "Other side is EVIL LIBRUL~!" bile rather than "this is how we'll improve your life".

It's sad how much campaigning in any nation seems to be "Don't vote for the other guys because horrible things" rather than "You should vote for us and here's why".  I'd like to leave a polling station feeling like I voted FOR something rather than AGAINST something...

Obviously, however, this kind of messaging is getting the votes. If it resulted in losses at the polls, it would end.

I've had 3 very fancy envelopes from the RNC, all branded to look like DJT stationery, and a ton of those light glossy cardstock mailers that all read like they were cribbed from "The Mob Song" from Beauty and the Beast. The Republicans never seem to mention down-ticket races. There's been a few mailers for the Democrats, but they usually have Kamala/Tim on one side, and local campaigns on the other, and skew more positive in their tone.

I've contributed to Democrat-aligned groups this cycle, which means that my email is blitzed with between 11 and 20 emails per day that get filtered to a Political folder for easy disposal, and another 3 to 6 per day asking for me to support Elissa Slotkin* that get automatically filtered into Spam.  I get a ton of text messages on my phone, though most of them get routed into "Spam and Block" automatically. As for actual calls, the home phone is filtered through NoMoRobo as part of the VoIP service, and the cell uses a Google assistant to prescreen unknown numbers.

Last Friday, I had a young gentleman going door to door for the state Democratic Party. He was very polite, and we had a good conversation about local candidates and issues. He was very happy after our conversation, and I, too, felt glad that the younger generation is very motivated this election.

* I'm not sure which state, but it's not Nevada. I'm not really interested in reading the emails to find out.