Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

One of my local public radio stations, KUOW, did its own little fact check on one of Trump's complaints in the debate: When were rioters going to be prosecuted for taking over "a large percentage" of Seattle?

https://www.kuow.org/stories/trump-asked-when-seattle-protesters-would-be-prosecuted-answer-they-have-been

Also noted in a between-program nbote thaty the area "taken over," dubbed the CHOP (acronym's meaning varied), consisted of one park and six blocks on Capitol Hill, or about one-tenth of one percent of Seattle. Not exactly a grand campaign of occupation. And while one of my friends found it menacing, he had to work near it. The news stories I heard at the time made it sound more ludicrous than dangerous. (Oh no! They're holding drum circles!) Though at least one person was shot and killed, was pretty much the signal for the Seatt;le police to sweep in and shut the protests down.

Dean Shomshak

Edited by DShomshak
Corrected radio station call letters.

20 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

One of my local public radio stations, KYOW, did its own little fact check on one of Trump's complaints in the debate: When were rioters going to be prosecuted for taking over "a large percentage" of Seattle?

https://www.kuow.org/stories/trump-asked-when-seattle-protesters-would-be-prosecuted-answer-they-have-been

Also noted in a between-program nbote thaty the area "taken over," dubbed the CHOP (acronym's meaning varied), consisted of one park and six blocks on Capitol Hill, or about one-tenth of one percent of Seattle. Not exactly a grand campaign of occupation. And while one of my friends found it menacing, he had to work near it. The news stories I heard at the time made it sound more ludicrous than dangerous. (Oh no! They're holding drum circles!) Though at least one person was shot and killed, was pretty much the signal for the Seatt;le police to sweep in and shut the protests down.

Dean Shomshak

Thanks for mentioning this because it really crystallizes a grim realization I've had since the debate: The GOP is consuming its own propaganda.  Up until last night I assumed that stories like the BLM destruction of Seattle, the pet-eating immigrants, the post-birth abortions, were all just cynical, intentional absurdities invented to strike fear into the hearts of gullible, uninformed voters.  The debate made it clear that Trump actually believes those things are happening!  Like, I always thought the creators of the conservabubble were sitting outside it--but no, they're locked in there with the rest of the crazies in an echo chamber feedback loop, on an express highway soaring out of reality at ludicrous speed.  Uh, could somebody do something about that please?  Before they get the nuclear codes?

40 minutes ago, Old Man said:

all just cynical, intentional absurdities invented to strike fear into the hearts of gullible

Trump fits that characterization rather well, wouldn't you say?

In Stranger in a Strange Land, there's a conversation between, I'm pretty sure, Jubal and Ben, about the difference between snake oil salesmen and smarmy priest-types...the Fosterites.  The snake oil salesman knows his product and pitch are straight out of the south end of a north-bound mule.  That limits his scope.  The preacher, OTOH, *believes* his own hogwash...so his scope is virtually unlimited.

Fox News is the snake oil salesman...with one *main* target:  Trump.  To set him up as the preacher...and they'll stick around as the choir.  Remember, there were several occasions while Trump held the office, where his tune changed as soon as the Fox talking heads showed him the way.

Wooofffff....

Harris doubles down.  New ad I just saw...spotlighting Project 2025, as Trump's clear plan should he win.  And it's her name on it.  I figured it might be a PAC ad.

Political junk mail's becoming more frequent, as are calls.  UGH.  May have to double check the settings on my iPhone, see what I'm automatically rejecting.

The weird allegation of pet-eating Haitians goes further as Arizona Republicans double down...

Arizona GOP billboards implore voters to ‘EAT LESS KITTENS’ (msn.com)

Snake oil salesman? "True Believer" preacher? Plato's "noble lie" that combines both, a lie that you know is a lie but sincerely believe will impel simple folk to do the right thing? I don't know. But it confirms my own belief that a large p[ortion of the electorate is out of its tiny mind.

Well, actually I think I *do* understand why people make up crap like this, and why other people repeat it. But I can't respect anyone who does so.

Dean Shomshak

Edited by DShomshak

4 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Oh, sure, until the Karen wing took over the party.

It's been longer than that - remember that Reagan called homosexuality an illness, and how his administration treated early AIDS.  They've always wanted to legislate matters of sex/marriage/family, it's pretty central to their brand.

Unless you're saying they've always been Karen's, even before the concept existed? 

Trump posts on his platform (which, BTW, saw its stock drop 10%) that he won't debate Harris again.  From CBS:

"When a prizefighter loses a fight, the first words out of his mouth are, 'I WANT A REMATCH,'" Trump wrote in his post, explaining his decision and insisting unnamed polls showed he won. 

Huh, well if that was a win, then I suppose his notion of a close loss would be Reagan-Mondale in '84........

Republican ad theme:  "Kamala is dangerously liberal."

Local Democratic ad theme against Yvette Herrell:  "voted for a national abortion ban."

This election season, I'd say they're both fairly representative of each party's approach.  Republicans trot out the nebulous charges, Democrats hammer the unpopular or seriously weak points.

It can't be over soon enough.............