Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Anyone who has been following Trump's campaigns already knows how he feels about the Military. Questions are coming up now about the withdrawal from Afganistan, and how it looks like he did that to screw up Biden and Nato. Mark Milley testified that Trump issued the order after being told that the government would collapse and go back to the Taliban if we pulled out.

CES 

Is there anything in that video that hasn't already been spelled out in the Project 2025 manifesto in unambiguous terms?  The video started at about the 6 minute mark with moves to make all the agencies direct instruments of the President's will...but that, for sure, has been cited.  

Cuz overall, I'm about to slap the salmon in the oven, and watching that atrocity would kill my appetite....................

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Is there anything in that video that hasn't already been spelled out in the Project 2025 manifesto in unambiguous terms?  The video started at about the 6 minute mark with moves to make all the agencies direct instruments of the President's will...but that, for sure, has been cited.  

Cuz overall, I'm about to slap the salmon in the oven, and watching that atrocity would kill my appetite....................

I believe what’s important about this particular interview is that it proves Trump still has every intention of implementing Project 2025 “on day one”, despite his recent claims to the contrary. 

32 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I believe what’s important about this particular interview is that it proves Trump still has every intention of implementing Project 2025 “on day one”, despite his recent claims to the contrary. 

Was there any question of that?  Is there ANY politician whose denials you trust less?  

18 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Was there any question of that?  Is there ANY politician whose denials you trust less?  

You know that, and I know that.  But there are people out there for whom the scales are only now falling from their eyes, and it is they who need proof that, no, Project 2025 is not some make-believe policy wish list, and yes, Trump has every intention of putting it into practice.

It's a bit second hand (Newsweek article about the lawyer's postings, not the postings themselves) but makes a good point. Republicans have long accused Democrats of being Communist, but which party attempts or advocates things that actual Communist regimes do?

Lawyer's Theory That Republicans Are Closer to Communism Goes Viral (msn.com)

Dean Shomshak

1 hour ago, DShomshak said:

It's a bit second hand (Newsweek article about the lawyer's postings, not the postings themselves) but makes a good point. Republicans have long accused Democrats of being Communist, but which party attempts or advocates things that actual Communist regimes do?

Lawyer's Theory That Republicans Are Closer to Communism Goes Viral (msn.com)

Dean Shomshak

I wouldn't per se tag these as Communist so much as fascist, but it's a smaller misuse of "Communist" than Trump's.  

On the Musk lawsuit...the point that a boycott is actually pro-competitive, as mentioned, gives Musk's claims a strong hint of doublespeak.

George Santos may have taken the bullet for the New York Republican congressional delegation.  Pled guilty to wire fraud and aggravated identity theft.  Has to forfeit $200K, reimburse another $370K...and his property is subject to seizure if he can't...and is looking at up to 8 years in prison.

But the Party avoids an ugly trial during election season, with numerous seats that could go either way.  Obviously, the spotlight on Santos couldn't help.  If you're cynical, that the sentencing is deferred for the next 6 months also helps that purpose.  OTOH, he has to come up with the money before the plea deal can be finalized, so a certain amount of time has to be conceded.

The Conservative Party of Canada just embarrassed itself by cheaping out on it's political ad.  The fact that they were even making a political ad is itself bothersome.  Canadian political ads are supposed to be for election season and a big part of the reason they lost last time they were in power was because they started running ads a couple of years before the election which was not something many Canadians wanted to see.  But if they are going to do an outseason ad talking about how much they love Canada and it's values, perhaps it would be a good idea not to construct the visuals entirely out of stock footage filmed in other countries.  A Serbian classroom.  The foothills of Indonesia.  A Californian cattle ranch.  Why yes, Poilevre.  It is easy to forget what "home" looks like.  

Edited by Clonus

18 minutes ago, Clonus said:

The Conservative Party of Canada just embarrassed itself by cheaping out on it's political ad.  The fact that they were even making a political ad is itself bothersome.  Canadian political ads are supposed to be for election season and a big part of the reason they lost last time they were in power was because they started running ads a couple of years before the election which was not something many Canadians wanted to see.  But if they are doing to do an outseason ad talking about how much they love Canada and it's values, perhaps it would be a good idea not to construct the visuals entirely out of stock footage filmed in other countries.  A Serbian classroom.  The foothills of Indonesia.  A Californian cattle ranch.  Why yes, Poilevre.  It is easy to forget what "home" looks like.  

Perhaps they got confused and thought they were broadcasting to the US, where it's likely a large portion wouldn't even notice the discrepancies.....

8 hours ago, Clonus said:

...But if they are going to do an outseason ad talking about how much they love Canada and it's values, perhaps it would be a good idea not to construct the visuals entirely out of stock footage filmed in other countries.  A Serbian classroom.  The foothills of Indonesia.  A Californian cattle ranch.  Why yes, Poilevre.  It is easy to forget what "home" looks like.  

Clearly it was a postmodern homage to the diversity of Canada's multicultural society.

Or something like that. Whenever you want to justify nonsense, call it postmodern.

Trump’s Latest Scheme to Beat Harris May Have Crossed Legal Lines

He may not be in office, but Donald Trump has been speaking with the powers that be about Israel’s war on Gaza—but it’s not in an effort to end the genocide.

Instead, Trump has allegedly been talking with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to avert a cease-fire deal, fearing that doing so could help Vice President Kamala Harris win in November, according to PBS.

“The reporting is that former President Trump is on the phone with the Prime Minister of Israel, urging him not to cut a deal right now, because it’s believed that would help the Harris campaign,” said PBS’s Judy Woodruff Monday night. “So, I don’t know where—who knows whether that will come about or not, but I have to think that the Harris campaign would like for President Biden to do what presidents do, and that’s to work on that one.”

Of course, at this point, even if Trump is violating the Logan Act...from his perspective, so what?  Newsweek story from a few weeks ago talks about it WRT talks with Zelensky and others.  They point out, charges have only been filed twice...and the last time was 1852.

And even if someone wanted to bring charges, nothing material could possibly happen between now and election day.  

If Trump wins?  Charges vanish.

If Trump loses?  Would it really be worth pursuing these?  I'd rather he just got nailed to the wall on everything he's already on the hook for.

I suppose...given the potential "I was acting in an official capacity" defense that might arguably cover the worst charges...well, a Logan Act charge might be worth pursuing.  Otherwise, I think I'd rather stop giving him a stage.

Revealed: JD Vance promoted far-right views in speech about extremists’ book

In a December 2023 speech, JD Vance defended a notorious white nationalist convicted over 2016 election disinformation, canvassed the possibility of breaking up tech companies, attacked diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) efforts and talked about a social media “censorship regime” that “came from the deep state on some level”.

The senator’s speech was given at the launch of a “counterrevolutionary” book – praised by the now Republican vice-presidential candidate as “great” – which was edited and mostly written by employees of the far-right Claremont Institute.

In the book, Up from Conservatism, the authors advocate for the repeal of the Civil Rights Act, for politicians to conduct “deep investigations into what the gay lifestyle actually does to people”, that college and childcare be defunded and that rightwing governments “promote male-dominated industries” in order to discourage female participation in the workplace.

Trump Hosting Fundraiser For Domestic Terrorists Who Assaulted Cops On Jan. 6

Donald Trump is hosting a fundraiser for domestic terrorists convicted of assaulting police officers, and some defendants still facing those charges, as part of his Jan. 6, 2021, coup attempt to remain in power.

The event is to take place on Sept. 5 at his country club in Bedminster, New Jersey, and is being staged by The America Project, a pro-Trump nonprofit based in Florida that is calling the reception and dinner “the J6 Awards Gala.”

A video promoting the event features clips of Tr*mp praising those who are being prosecuted for taking part in the Capitol assault. “They ought to release the J6 hostages. They’ve suffered enough,” Trump says in the video from one of his campaign speeches. “I call them hostages. Some people call them prisoners. I call them hostages.”

Michael Fanone, a former Washington, D.C., police officer who suffered a heart attack after being repeatedly tasered by one of Trump’s followers on Jan. 6, said Americans cannot afford to forget what happened that day. “Wake the --- up, America,” he told HuffPost. “This is who Donald Trump is, a sick mother----er who fetishizes violence committed on his behalf.”

The Daily talks about the Republican plan to steal the election from Harris if voters fail to vote the way they want. Articles posted on this before, but this gives a little more detail. Could have had more discussion of how the endgame is to throw the election into the House of Representatives, where Republicans know they will win.

Dean Shomshak

26 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Well, that's terrifying, but thank you for sharing it.

It's nightmarish.  I honestly worry that should Trump lose by the votes, but the collusion to defraud the votes attempt to hand him the victory or even throw it into the House...AND if the Supreme Court doesn't step in to block the actions...would the military step in?  My gosh, you wouldn't think so...the US military doesn't DO that.  But stealing the election doesn't happen either.

In other news, the Justice Department is bringing a lawsuit against a real estate software company for price fixing.  From NYT:

The Justice Department said it filed an antitrust lawsuit on Friday against the real estate software company RealPage, alleging its software enabled landlords to collude to raise rents across the United States.

The suit, joined by North Carolina, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Minnesota, Oregon, Tennessee and Washington, accuses RealPage of facilitating a price-fixing conspiracy that boosted rents beyond market forces for millions of people. It’s the first major civil antitrust lawsuit where the role of an algorithm in pricing manipulation is central to the case, Justice Department officials said.

That's a major cross-section of the country, and the political spectrum...mostly blue states, but also Tennessee.

https://www.npr.org/2024/08/23/nx-s1-5086838/robert-kennedy-future-plans-trump

RFK Jr suspends his campaign in 10 battleground states and urges his supporters to vote for Trump instead.

Now if only Green candidate Jill Stein would end her equally vain (in all senses of the word) campaign and urge Greens to vote for Harris...

Dean Shomshak