Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

13 hours ago, Old Man said:

The standout quote from one of the other message boards I'm on is "Okay, now the writers are just f__king with us."

Manatees.  It's literally being written by manatees shoving inflatable balls with words around.  /South Park making fun of Family Guy, if I recall correctly.

Even if you don't want to watch the whole thing...in the first 30 seconds, he basically tucks a pocket nuke under Cannon's decision, then sets it off.  Which can't surprise any of us here who watch his videos.

Most of it is points I think we've seen/heard...the decision was improper by almost too many bases to count.  So in some ways, this one can be passed over.  There's one aspect...can Cannon be removed from the case?  He talks about this at around 16:30.  The answer is...probably not.  And as I noted...doing so would be a royal PITA because it resets the time line.  Plus, of course, a circuit court decision will take a while...and the appeal to the Supreme Court likely ensures no final resolution to this point alone, before '25.  MAYBE, if the court issued a summary refusal to hear, it'd take less time, but assuming the circuit court overturns?  I don't see this court summarily refusing.  They'll hear it.

Just so you get an idea of our media looking at current Republican politicians, Emily Maitlis is a good interviewer.

The big thing I do not understand is why, when people come out with "Do you believe 81 million people voted for Joe Biden", the response is not "No, but I believe 81 million people voted AGAINST Donald Trump".

Doc

2 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

Just so you get an idea of our media looking at current Republican politicians, Emily Maitlis is a good interviewer.

The big thing I do not understand is why, when people come out with "Do you believe 81 million people voted for Joe Biden", the response is not "No, but I believe 81 million people voted AGAINST Donald Trump".

Doc

Kari Lake has been so off the rails for so long, the courts in Arizona are like why are you still trying to do these lawsuits? You're getting sanctioned.

CES

It was her lawyers getting sanctioned, technically, but yeah.  Large sanction in one case, the "voting machines aren't reliable" BS.  $122K.  From The Hill last year:

“Failing to impose meaningful sanctions here might very well encourage others to follow suit by lending their credibility to documents filed in court without facing any real consequence if their certifications prove hollow or incomplete,” Judge John Tuchi said in his ruling. “The need for general deterrence is therefore significant.”

Yet she still echoes Trump and insists on the fraud.  

Barely watched any of that interview because, even more than Trump, Lake's repugnant.  

EDIT:  NYT had a group of columnists reacting to last night.  I rather like this remark:

Both parties are clearly working hard to lose this election. Trump’s speech has got to increase the chances that President Biden stays in the race.

7 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

Doc

This is the woman who interviewed Prince Andrew about Epstein.

Played by Gillian Anderson in the film Scoop

Just now, Old Man said:

Just trying to be funny.  Certainly I have skated too close to the line now and then.

Well, four times to be exact...thank you for not hitting the fifth -- I'd hate to lose you.

14 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

This joint was created because we were getting a little too free in our speech. :fear:

No no no no no. I wasn't talking about your free speech right to stop someone from saying anything you like on your private board, or your free speech right to say anything you like on someone else's private board. I was talking about your free speech right to do things like park a convoy of trucks around downtown Ottawa and maybe overthrow the government a little. That's the right that Starlord is oppressing.