Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

It's really hard.  

Gotta treat threats as credible, but heck, I remember saying as an elementary school kid to other kids, sub-10, "I'll X you"... and meaning nothing at all by it.

This was (cough) 40+ years ago on school yards, not on social media visible for the world.

But.  Do "most" 10 year olds who say something stupid go on to DO something violent?  I will hope not.

Do some 16+ year olds do that?  Undoubtedly.

What to do about it?  I'm at a loss, to be honest.

Huckster-in-Chief's newest 'products'....

https://www.wired.com/story/trumps-dollar100000-watches-are-the-most-tragic-celebrity-watch-yet/

Yeah, fine, I'm well aware of $100,000 tourbillon watches.  Tourbillons are an attempt to avoid the effects of gravity on a watch's tiny, core components.  They're clever, they're not simple, and they're generally VERY expensive.

The one here...not so much.  The core value would be in the gold....but all things considered, the markup's about 300-400%.  

This is in addition to the silver coins...$100 for about $30 worth of silver.  

And everything else...

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-watches-bibles-coins-1960247

Ignoring over two hundred years of “do not mess with America’s boats” precedent, the Houthi in Yemen launched a bunch (23?) of missiles at US warships in the Red Sea. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/yemens-houthis-say-they-attacked-israels-tel-aviv-ashkelon-2024-09-27/

No damage to any vessels, thank goodness.

2 hours ago, slikmar said:

Can I just ask, how is attacking a mail carrier with a knife ONLY a misdemeanor for assault. I mean, isn't attacking a mail carrier a federal offense just to start with?

The federal charges are likely to come later.  Though, the misdemeanor charge for attacking someone with a knife does seem rather light regardless.

3 hours ago, slikmar said:

Can I just ask, how is attacking a mail carrier with a knife ONLY a misdemeanor for assault. I mean, isn't attacking a mail carrier a federal offense just to start with?

Two charges, *so far*...ethnic intimidation is a felony.  The assault is a misdemeanor so far, but we also don't know the details.  The intimidation charge might cover some of it.

Also, these are the local charges.  The local police can't bring federal charges.

6 hours ago, slikmar said:

Ordinarily, effing with the mail is a really bad idea since historically the feds throw the book at you.  DeJoy's spent years screwing up the USPS and I have no doubt that the postal inspectors have been  underfunded and mistreated accordingly, though, so we'll see what happens to this guy.

49 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Did you get your Harris flyer yet?  ;)

Got a few earlier in the month.  Because I have something of a masochistic streak in me, I think...for the last 10 days or so, I've been saving the fliers that come in the mail.  7 right now;  5 Rep, 2 Dem.  5 are for the House race, 2 are for the Senate race.  Nothing for the state or local offices yet;  those likely will start showing up fairly soon.  They do tend to be less vitriolic...well, sometimes.  And probably some presidential ones in the last couple weeks, as part of the last-minute push.

And more phone calls.  Not *that* many of those, fortunately.

I’m so ready for this election to be over. In non-contested California my phone is blowing up from text solicitation and calls. Deeply annoying. Yes, yes I’m going to vote for Kamala stop bothering me. Give one time and they never stop apparently.

The exclusion of political solicitation from the no call list is the most self serving and irritating sort of political game. 

Edited by Iuz the Evil

29 minutes ago, Iuz the Evil said:

I’m so ready for this election to be over. In non-contested California my phone is blowing up from text solicitation and calls. Deeply annoying. Yes, yes I’m going to vote for Kamala stop bothering me. Give one time and they never stop apparently.

The exclusion of political solicitation from the no call list is the most self serving and irritating sort of political game. 

Yeah I contributed and the spam is nonstop.  I suppose it's less annoying than being herded into a concentration camp, but still.