Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr...

So I check my phone this morning...couple texts.  One from Trump Jr, ostensibly, about completing a survey.  Delete and Report Junk.  Mmm...reporting as junk, almost worth getting it.

Until 5 minutes ago...when another one shows up.  Same BS.  Not sure if it was from the same number...but I don't think blocking junk texts is at the same level as junk calls/call blocking tech anyway.

EDIT:  maybe there are.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/block-robotexts-and-spam-messages

6 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

And the J.D Vance jokes keep on coming. This one's from Hal Sparks: "JD Vance looks like a youth pastor that's about to have his hard disk seized by the FBI."

Well, Republicans against Trump have picked up and tweeted a song written by a British musical family who hit the news during the Covid lockdowns over here.  They decided to do a Vance takedown song (I think provoked about him calling us the first nuclear muslim state).

The smart pick would've been Haley.  Obviously, the Trump ego wouldn't allow that.  Vance was picked because he won the butt-kissing contest.

A good choice for Harris may be KY governor Andy Beshear.  He's a young, smart moderate who is very familiar to us here in SW Ohio because we wish he was our Governor.  He has seemed to handle a lot of crises pretty well.  He's also very familiar with Vance and has never liked him.  I think he would do well in a debate against him.

Edited by Starlord

Beshear is reportedly well-liked across the Appalachian region, while Vance is apparently not. Given that Vance was supposed to help deliver that region to Trump, that must be extra disappointing to Mango Mussolini. Beshear also started taking digs at Vance almost as soon as his candidacy was announced. Starlord, since you're an Ohioan, you'll probably appreciate the sting when Beshear said on social media that Vance "ain't from around here."

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Beshear is reportedly well-liked across the Appalachian region, while Vance is apparently not. Given that Vance was supposed to help deliver that region to Trump, that must be extra disappointing to Mango Mussolini. Beshear also started taking digs at Vance almost as soon as his candidacy was announced. Starlord, since you're an Ohioan, you'll probably appreciate the sting when Beshear said on social media that Vance "ain't from around here."

The "ain't from around here" memes from Appalachians have been GLORIOUS~!

8 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

Well, Republicans against Trump have picked up and tweeted a song written by a British musical family who hit the news during the Covid lockdowns over here.  They decided to do a Vance takedown song (I think provoked about him calling us the first nuclear muslim state).

Oh my....that isn't pure gold, it's gold-pressed latinum.

19 hours ago, Starlord said:

The smart pick would've been Haley.  Obviously, the Trump ego wouldn't allow that.  Vance was picked because he won the butt-kissing contest.

Haley would actually have been problematic too, in that many of her previous supporters have turned against her for publicly supporting Donald Trump as Republican candidate, given that she campaigned for that position emphasizing all the reasons why he would not be a good candidate. Had you heard of the "Haley Voters for Harris" PAC?

(What follows below is satire.)

This is why we need to vote.  To be aware and be ready.

Trump Tells Christians They Won’t Have to Vote in Future: ‘We’ll Have It Fixed’

“Christians, get out and vote!” yelled Trump. “Just this time. You won’t have to do it anymore. Four more years. You know what? It’ll be fixed! It’ll be fine! You won’t have to vote anymore, my beautiful Christians. I love you, Christians!” He added, “You gotta get out and vote. In four years, you don’t have to vote again. We’ll have it fixed so good, you’re not gonna have to vote.”

ETA: Another link if you can't access the full story

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-tells-christians-won-t-034613098.html

Edited by Cygnia

JD Vance, Menstrual Surveillance Hawk

Now when this rule was first proposed back in 2023, a group of 28 members of Congress wrote to HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra demanding he withdraw the proposed rule “immediately.” (I was reminded of this letter when I saw this write up this morning.) They argued that the proposed rule “unlawfully thwarts the enforcement of compassionate laws” and “creates special protections for abortion that limit cooperation with law enforcement, undermine the ability to report abuse, restrict the provision of public health information … erase the humanity of unborn children” and “interfere with valid state laws protecting life.”

Now, I said 28 members of Congress. That’s not very many. You’ll remember there are 535 of them, of which 100 are senators. Vance was one of only eight Republican senators willing to go this hard for menstrual surveillance by state law enforcement agencies. The other 20 signatories are members of the House and a quick review of the names shows they are mostly hardcore Freedom Caucus types.

But think about it: even in the House GOP caucus, they could only get 20 people to sign this thing. That’s how extreme it is. But JD Vance signed.

This aspect of the post-Dobbs world is often treated as hyperbole in mainstream news coverage, something that might be theoretically possible but not something that’s actually going to happen. But Vance was one of only eight senators who thought this rule was a bridge too far and endangered “valid state laws protecting life” and would “limit cooperation with law enforcement.” That’s not just a campaign gotcha. He’s for real about this stuff.

22 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

This is the kind of regular American that more Americans need to hear. (A few NSFW words in there, but clear and passionate truth.)

Indeed! And the sort of things most media don't report. How often does one see stories about Inflation Reduction Act, CHIPS Act, etc. projects happening and the jobs being created? (Well, the Marketplace radio program has been doing a series on the enormous semiconductor projects being built, but Marketplace is spcialized.) But of course we all know why: "Government Successfully Doing Something Practical" isn't as exciting as culture war craziness. Discontent sells. Conflict sells. Following through a plan to make something better -- yawn.

Dean Shomshak

2 hours ago, Clonus said:

Alberta has been on fire recently.  Half of Jasper burned down.  Fortunately Alberta has a conservative government who reacted to Alberta being on fire last year by cutting the firefighting budget and firing its elite firefighting team.  

I'm certainly not going to defend the Alberta Conservative government's mistakes and shortsightedness in fire preparedness; but a great deal of blame also has to be leveled at the federal Liberal government. Jasper National Park is federally owned and administered land. The wave of invasive pine beetles in the park over the past decade left hundreds of dead, rotting and dried-out trees amounting to a mountain of kindling. Forestry experts have warned the government of the fire risk for years, but no action was taken. No dead tree cutting, no controlled burns, no fire break around the resort town of Jasper, zip.

Beetle-killed pines are WORSE than kindling.  The needles will flare up fast and easy, and in many species, they offer up quite a bit of fuel.  The other issue...the tree's defense is to try to use sap to push the pests out.  Pine sap is quite aromatic...and incredibly flammable.  it's practically like having Sterno pockets everywhere.  It'll catch and continue to burn, which means the entire tree will become involved much faster. 

We had beetle problems in Colorado.  You DON'T ignore them.  

I'm getting fed up with all the Trump-splaining excuses. We know he says what he means and means what he says; but if he really didn't, how could he be trusted to be the spokesman for the most powerful country in the world? And why do all his "jokes" always sound like attacks against freedom and democracy?

Edited by Lord Liaden

I'm putting this in the politics thread to be on the safe side. It was disquieting watching some of the artists at Glastonbury supporting Palestine. I have no problem with artists asking/calling for peace in the Middle East as they were also asking for support for Ukraine.