Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

11 hours ago, L. Marcus said:

How about Buttigieg as VP pick?

Sadly, I don't think that's optimal for this election. A woman of color and a gay man on the same ticket? I don't think America is ready for that yet. Buttigieg is young, smart and charismatic, and his time will come; but right now Harris needs someone that American conservatives would consider "safe" for the sake of balance. There are a number of possible sound candidates.

Secret Service director resigns.

Had to figure this'd happen.

EDIT:  Buttigieg?  Yeah, gotta agree with LL.  He's several steps too far at this point.  The Republicans would LOVE to paint the Democrats as the party of groomers.  It might be worth it later...but not this election.  

Harris is looking strong out of the gate. She's already secured support from apparently all of the key party players at the state and national levels, and has had a record-breaking fundraising round. She had some scathing remarks about Trump in her first public speech since Biden stepped down. Looks like she's not wasting any time getting the campaign rolling.

"Out there" VP pick: Mitt Romney, for a Stop Donald Trump Unity ticket. Mister "Severely Conservative" might have to eat some former words, but that's nothing strange (or difficult) for a politiican. Ifg he has any genuine principles against Trump, he can give Republicans and independents who don't like Trump the assurance that the Dems aren't as freaky and radical as they are portrayed (including by some Democrats). And if he has any personal dislike, he can indulge it. In a nice, Mormon, smile-while-heaping-coals-of-fire sort of way.

Dean Shomshak

5 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I'll pass on Romney. He's only heroic in comparison to Trump. He's still the guy who vacations with a dog on the roof of his car and former (current?) corporate raider. I'd prefer someone slightly higher up the ethical scale.

These are politicians we're talking about.  Aspirational ones, at that.  Good luck finding one.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

Yeah, I don't trust anyone with an R next to their name in politics right now....

At the federal level, the problem is...even if you believe you could trust an individual Republican, voting for the reasonable, helps to empower the unreasonable.  Leaving the Republicans in control of the House would be awful.  Giving them back the Senate...the nightmare is Trump in the WH and Republicans with a 60 vote supermajority in the Senate.  Federal courts stocked top to bottom with Trumpists.  Project 2025's personnel goals *sweep* through.

On more local levels, sorry, decent Republicans.  Much the same still applies, even if the scope is narrower.  At this point, as the selection of Vance proved...there's no room for moderates in the Republican Party.  It's the Trump Party, pure and simple.

I will admit to massive burnout WRT political news, so I'm not surprised...but Beau's note that the Trump might be pulling another Joker...already regretting Vance?

Whoa.

My, my.  Not even August yet.  Now, granted, got to be a tad careful here, as reports I saw were from liberal outlets, so there's overreaction risks.  Still...the points made about Vance sound spot-on.  Hey, a feud at the top of the Republican ticket would be ideal.

I saw one article about the possibility of dumping Vance, but I'm not sure that's even possible now...because he is the declared nominee.  It's been several days...and you'd think Trump's campaign would be formally confirming his position as the official nominee, to ensure he's on the ballot.  With Vance.  The better to try to challenge Harris.  I'd think, tho...once you've formally filed the candidate names with the state's secretary of state, changing it would not be allowed except perhaps due to death or debilitating injury.  

We can't underestimate either of Donald Trump's overriding tendencies: to dump anyone he thinks is a liability to him; but also, to double down on any of his decisions that someone tells him is wrong. I couldn't say which would win in the case of Vance.

Edited by Lord Liaden

3 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

So I've changed my view about God saving Trump (he says in jest).  My therapist sent me a meme:

God wanted DJT to live... so he can lose to a black woman.

That would be like his two biggest bogeymen, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, in one package.

Vance... let's just say, he's not growing on me.  I rather expect that trend to continue.

(not... literally.  no JD Vance-shaped fungus, please).

Disclaimer: this was just intended as a joke about "not growing on me" and not a comment on J.D. Vance personally.  He is a human person to my knowledge.

Edited by MrWolf

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

We can't underestimate either of Donald Trump's overriding tendencies: to dump anyone he thinks is a liability to him; but also, to double down on any of his decisions that someone tells him is wrong. I couldn't say which would win in the case of Vance.

Pretty sure Vance is Putin’s favorite, so he’ll stick.