Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

43 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

This is why I dislike Reich.  Bold mine.

Uhhh...really?  Trump isn't that self-aware, IMO.  Trump spews vitriol because he can't tolerate competition, or even attention.

"Projection" is not related to self-awareness, because it isn't a conscious choice. It's an unconscious defense mechanism against stress or anxiety, attributing that person's thoughts, feelings, or behaviors to someone else.

16 hours ago, Armitage said:

He seems to have mellowed since getting shot. Just a month ago this would have been all caps and full of rage-induced misspellings. 

Maybe it's whatever pain killers the doctors gave him?

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Uhhh...really?  Trump isn't that self-aware, IMO.  Trump spews vitriol because he can't tolerate competition, or even attention.

Trump does 'project' in the sense that he accuses his opponents of everything he himself is guilty of. 

The good news is that the Democratic party managed to coalesce behind Harris in a matter of hours, save a couple of crackpots like Manchin.  I was expecting the Hunger Games with Trump casually stepping over the 'victor' into the Oval Office.

Harris will still have to overcome the inevitable lawsuits to keep her off the ballots, but perhaps the mere threat of God King Biden taking action against the openly corrupt SCOTUS members will keep them in line.

I just wish that we could have a presidential debate where they actually used the rules of debates and, ya know, actually discussed the questions being asked. I am not sure, if I were running, I would agree to debate Trump, since he ignores any questions actually asked.

18 minutes ago, slikmar said:

I just wish that we could have a presidential debate where they actually used the rules of debates and, ya know, actually discussed the questions being asked. I am not sure, if I were running, I would agree to debate Trump, since he ignores any questions actually asked.

Kamala Harris was a prosecuting attorney. I don't think Trump will get away with that as much with her as he did with Joe Biden.

2 hours ago, Simon said:

In the immortal words of Socrates: "I drank what?!?"

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I think those words were very mortal.......

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

The speaker was. We remember the words over two millennia later, so...

Should we tell him?

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

This is why I dislike Reich.  Bold mine.

I do agree with his point that Manchin trying to 'return' to the Democrats, and mount a challenge to Harris, would be awful.  Manchin's played both sides against each other for too long.

And from several standpoints?  His suggestion of Mark Kelly as Harris' running mate certainly looks well-considered.  My only mild concern is whether this would cost a Senate seat.  

This is where I disagree with you. Trump can be extremely sneaky, so underestimating him is dangerous.

I would be happy to see Mark Kelly as VP. If he also keeps his seat, the governor of Arizona, Democrat Katie Hobbs, would assign one, so we won't lose a seat, assuming Hobbs is still governor.

3 hours ago, slikmar said:

Hear me out: Presidential debates should take the form of a game show, like Jeopardy or Family Feud or Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. *  Enforced super short or multiple choice answers, and a point total that determines the winner.

* Or, if you prefer, the Hunger Games.

3 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

Should we tell him?

Yeah, I know. But Socrates left us other words, according to Plato.

53 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Hear me out: Presidential debates should take the form of a game show, like Jeopardy or Family Feud or Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. *  Enforced super short or multiple choice answers, and a point total that determines the winner.

* Or, if you prefer, the Hunger Games.

Edited by Lord Liaden

Sounds like a perfect game show for TruTV, actually.

The politics version...yeah, any time the politician fails to actually answer the question...WHAP!

Great against most pro athletes, who frequently give their prepared, pat, frequently vapid answer...regardless of the question.

I've always teased the democratic party for being disorganized at the worst times but...

Harris has delegate support for the nomination as DNC moves forward with virtual vote

And she is bringing out her years as a prosecutor to use against Trump.

“In those roles, I took on perpetrators of all kinds. Predators who abused women, fraudsters who ripped off consumers, cheaters who broke the rules for their own gain. So hear me when I say: I know Donald Trump's type,” she said.

Okay. I would vote for a turnip over Trump, but I'm liking how she's coming out of the gate with this!

2 hours ago, L. Marcus said:

How about Buttigieg as VP pick?

Wouldn't be a bad choice.  Other than Buttigieg, it looks like the short list is Cooper (NC), Kelly (AZ), Shapiro (PA), Whitmer (MI), Walz (MN) + Pritzker (IL).  Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you...

Spoiler

...the 2024 Vice Presidential Hunger Games!!