Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Weeelll... while that's definitely possible, there are other explanations. One likely explanation is that Trump is lying, trying to drum up more outrage from his base to fuel their willingness to donate to his "defense." Another is that those passports were diplomatic documents from Trump's time as President, and therefore legally belong in the government's presidential archives.

But Old Man's assumption is very plausible, and shared by many in all media. If the FBI deliberately confiscated Trump's passports to keep him from fleeing, that would suggest the federal investigation into his activities is close to laying serious charges.

On 8/14/2022 at 11:43 PM, unclevlad said:

Worse than Texas?  Cuz...that's saying something.......

I think so. If I had to pick to save two drowning senators and one of them was Ted Cruz, and the other was Rand Paul, I would pick Ted Cruz every time.

CES  

I'm with Tom. Personally I think the Republicans should have let Trump get kicked out of office when he was getting impeached. Now they are facing years of him being in court, standing trial, having problems, making problems for them.

CES

28 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

I think so. If I had to pick to save two drowning senators and one of them was Ted Cruz, and the other was Rand Paul, I would pick Ted Cruz every time.

CES 

If I was drowning along with Cruz and Paul, I would pick Cruz. He looks like he'd make a better flotation device.

30 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

I'm with Tom. Personally I think the Republicans should have let Trump get kicked out of office when he was getting impeached. Now they are facing years of him being in court, standing trial, having problems, making problems for them.

CES

Arrogance. Mitch McConnell believed he could use Trump, that he could ride the wave Donnie kicked up. Now it's threatening to drown his whole party. McConnell has played politics at the highest level for a long time, he's used to using people to get what he wants. But Trumpian politics is like nothing Mitch or the United States has seen before.

4 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I'd have an uncharacteristic bout of indecisiveness.

If I had to pick one, I would pick the one that doesn't seem intently aggressive about causing harm over someone who does. I admit that if picking one wasn't a condition, that would be another ball game. I can't claim to be good.

CES 

On 8/15/2022 at 10:46 PM, Lord Liaden said:

Weeelll... while that's definitely possible, there are other explanations. One likely explanation is that Trump is lying, trying to drum up more outrage from his base to fuel their willingness to donate to his "defense." Another is that those passports were diplomatic documents from Trump's time as President, and therefore legally belong in the government's presidential archives.

But Old Man's assumption is very plausible, and shared by many in all media. If the FBI deliberately confiscated Trump's passports to keep him from fleeing, that would suggest the federal investigation into his activities is close to laying serious charges.

The FBI has returned the passports. I have not seen an explanation for why they were taken in the first place.

12 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Not surprisingly, Liz Cheney lost the Republican primary in Wyoming.  By a LOT.  Race called by AP with a quarter of the votes in.  At this point it's about 60-40 against her.

And now all the Trumplodytes are rubbing her face in it in social media. Strictly middle school stuff. That floozie from Georgia went so far as to say that Cheney's defeat was a victory for all Americans who love liberty, regardless of party.

As far as I'm concerned, all of these comments really say more about Donald Trump and his supporters than they say about Liz Cheney.

I also saw an article yesterday suggesting that Cheney already has her next move in mind, that she's too smart to have said and done all that she did without an exit strategy. Maybe the 2024 Republican Presidential race?

I'd vote for her over ... well, pretty much anyone else the GOP could toss in the ring right now. 

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

I also saw an article yesterday suggesting that Cheney already has her next move in mind, that she's too smart to have said and done all that she did without an exit strategy. Maybe the 2024 Republican Presidential race?

I'd vote for her over ... well, pretty much anyone else the GOP could toss in the ring right now. 

Well, yeah.  But let's be honest here...if Trump wants the nomination in '24, he'll be the prohibitive front-runner...and may well run with very little opposition.

Even if he doesn't, in a general primary season...how many states would Cheney potentially carry?  How many states would she get *crushed* in?  No Trumpist is going to vote for her.  I was kinda thinking about it...the Lincoln Project, perhaps?  It's too early for her to try to run as a 3rd-party conservative independent...but laying the groundwork to grow a New Conservative Party?  That I could see.

https://www.newstatesman.com/quickfire/2022/08/salman-rushdie-j-k-rowling-cancel-culture

Others have, however, seen an opportunity. Even before Rushdie’s discharge from hospital, he has once again become an emblem of a global cultural debate, with his attack being used as an argument against “cancel culture” and wokeness – turning into a weapon in the free speech culture war debate. These arguments have drawn comparisons with Dave Chapelle and JK Rowling, claiming these figures have been similarly threatened for their views; some have even harked back to Chris Rock getting slapped by Will Smith at the Oscars (ie, a man who was “physically attacked on stage because someone was offended by something they have said”).

For anyone with a sense of reality – and proportion – it’s easy to find these comparisons ridiculous, even laughable. But beyond being breathtakingly unserious, these arguments are a potentially dangerous means through which columnists can boorishly shoehorn in their own interests, vulgarly using Rushdie as a political pawn in a dark moment of personal crisis.

10 hours ago, Pariah said:

And now all the Trumplodytes are rubbing her face in it in social media. Strictly middle school stuff. That floozie from Georgia went so far as to say that Cheney's defeat was a victory for all Americans who love liberty, regardless of party.

As far as I'm concerned, all of these comments really say more about Donald Trump and his supporters than they say about Liz Cheney.

The point was made to me that Liz Cheney received approximately one-third of the vote. Now, many Democrats claimed they were registering as Republicans to vote in the primaries, so let's be generous and say that only one-quarter of genuine GOP voters supported Cheney. That would mean one in four Republicans in Wyoming voted for the person actively trying to bring Donald Trump to face charges.

That may not be as much of a win as Trumpists claim.

1 hour ago, wcw43921 said:

That's what takes these bills from Misplaced Morality to Reckless Ideological Blindness.  I get the quasi-moral position...when does "life" start?  But there can be outside, serious issues.  This is one, and IMO the absolute, first one:  medical necessity.  The lack of it shows, IMO, that the real goal is to punish sexual activity outside of marriage, and consequences be damned.