Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

37 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I wonder if a class action lawsuit can be filed against the Texas power companies;  it's their fault their systems weren't prepared for an event like this.  Not just from the cost issues, but the overall costs associated with such a failure to maintain their system.

Fat chance, but one can dream.

The standard for negligence in this case would be failure to act as an ordinary, prudent energy provider would under the circumstances.  So if they can show that energy providers abiding by industry standards would have weather proofed their equipment given the same chance of facing serious cold, then in theory they have a case that they can win. 

Of course it is Texas, and they all but worship big oil there, so it is likely to be an uphill fight even if legal negligence did occur.

8 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

The mind boggles over the magnitude of insensitivity required to publicly gloat over profits from prices gouged out of millions of suffering people.

If one accepts the premise that delivering profits to investors is the only real concern of business, what does the breaking of a few eggs matter?

21 hours ago, Simon said:

Seriously hate to do this, but I'm not sure that the dog bit is anything really bad on Cruz' part.  He went on vacation (given the timing, that was _bad_)...and he had people keeping an active (supposedly 24hr) eye on his home...and taking care of his dog.  That's inline with what I normally do, except that the folks I have watch our dogs typically stay inside the house.

Not defending the "vacation" or Cruz (perish the thought), but I think the dog is the wrong angle of attack.

For any normal family a dogsitter or housesitter would be my initial assumption. But this is Cruz we're talking about, and he never fails to prove me wrong when I think he must have some spark of human decency hidden away somewhere. I wouldn't rule out him deciding that the dog should pull itself up by its  leash and figure out a way to pay for its own care and feeding in the family's absence.

21 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

The standard for negligence in this case would be failure to act as an ordinary, prudent energy provider would under the circumstances.  So if they can show that energy providers abiding by industry standards would have weather proofed their equipment given the same chance of facing serious cold, then in theory they have a case that they can win. 

Of course it is Texas, and they all but worship big oil there, so it is likely to be an uphill fight even if legal negligence did occur.

20 hours ago, unclevlad said:

All but??

*Shrug*  Well, I know that they regularly give human sacrifices to the oil industry, but mostly they are people that they want to get rid of anyway.  So, does that qualify as actual religious devotion?  I'm not an expert on these things.

13 hours ago, Pariah said:

To be fair, there's also football.

Acts of ritualistic violence, stadiums full of chanting and cheering throngs, colorful ceremonial costumes, so yes, clearly religious ceremony.  Who am I to contradict untold numbers of future archeologist and anthropologist?   

On 2/19/2021 at 1:00 PM, Pariah said:

151954699_10160830052429968_856553800705

(I'm not sure if this is real, but it's entertaining.)

In the interest of full disclosure and honest political dialogue, I read today that this post is not real. Just FYI.

Fact check: Image claiming to show 2016 Ted Cruz tweet on climate change and Texas is fabricated

A few days back, ATC interviewed University of Washington professor Christopher Sebastian Parker about his "Panel Study of the MAGA Movement." I was intrerested enough to look up the study. Here's the for-general-public summary. (I haven't drilled into the methodology, since my time is finite and I'm probably not qualified to judge.)

https://sites.uw.edu/magastudy/

It seems pretty clear, though, that Parker & colleague found a strongly cohesive group steeped in paranoia and disconnected from reality. Some expected results: MAGites are, by large margins, white, Christian, male, and older. Not so expected: They are not particularly likely to be poor or rural.

Dean Shomshak

In a recent poll, 46% of Republicans say they would leave the GOP and join a new party if Donald Trump started one.

I really hope the remaining 54%, half say they would not leave the Republican party and half are undecided.

Other than effectively giving Democrats with the next few elections, what would the long-term effects of this kind of split of the Republican Party be?

31 minutes ago, Pariah said:

In a recent poll, 46% of Republicans say they would leave the GOP and join a new party if Donald Trump started one.

I really hope the remaining 54%, half say they would not leave the Republican party and half are undecided.

Other than effectively giving Democrats with the next few elections, what would the long-term effects of this kind of split of the Republican Party be?

Tennessee has at least one Senator go to the Trump party is my prediction. The 'regular' republicans , instead of standing strong, try to placate by being Trump LITE but still more authoritarian than they were. Democrats sigh and now come in THIRD place

14 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Tennessee has at least one Senator go to the Trump party is my prediction. The 'regular' republicans , instead of standing strong, try to placate by being Trump LITE but still more authoritarian than they were. Democrats sigh and now come in THIRD place

I think that, if the Republican Party splits into the merely right-wing and actual Fascists, the Democrats stand a good chance to wind up winning a plurality. They won't wind up third without a large number of Democrats defecting to one of the other two groups.

Jim Hendren, a state senator from Arkansas, declared that he is leaving the GOP to become an independent. In his public statement as to why he's leaving, among his various reasons, he said something that if true, bodes very ill for the future of the Republican Party: "You can't win a primary without Trump's support, but you can't win a general election with it."

That was then. The party is polarizing, and looks to be fragmenting. Trump is taking the extremists with him. If Republican legislators try to chase after them, they turn off less extreme people who'd normally vote GOP. If they woo more moderate elements they alienate the Trumpists. In the meantime the real conservatives who believe in the party's stated values are abandoning both. None of those factions represent enough votes to win.