Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

41 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Probably more people than you might think.  That's mid-level.  When I bought cheap pillows, they didn't last more than a couple years.  A better one lasts much longer.  How many people spend $1000-2000 on a mattress?  Same thing...more than you might think.

EDIT:  As far as the MyPillow employees...yeah, I'd be job-hunting.  Looks like the company's privately held, so a board can't oust Lindell.  And this bad publicity is atop quite a bit more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Pillow

Several false advertising/false claims lawsuits.  Failure to remit taxes.  BBB gives them an F rating.  Consumer Reports reviewed them and only 1/3 of their in-home testers would buy them...that's a big argument right there for why Kohl's and BedBathAndBeyond dropped them...because that suggests they aren't gonna sell very well long term, and/or that the store's going to see a higher return rate.  (Spend a moment on BB&B's web site...over 300 different pillows, and most are over $50.)

Five yard penalty ---Facts on the Internet.

Probably a wise decision. Nothing he could say is going to sway his detractors, but there are plenty of things he could say that might make those still on the fence (if any) decide to be done with him for good.

Trump will not testify or provide any statement at impeachment trial, lawyer says

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Probably a wise decision. Nothing he could say is going to sway his detractors, but there are plenty of things he could say that might make those still on the fence (if any) decide to be done with him for good.

Trump will not testify or provide any statement at impeachment trial, lawyer says

I remember reading a report quoting an anonymous "source close to the President" about Trump wanting to testify before the Mueller probe. His lawyers put him through a mock testimony session, where Trump's own lies, inconsistencies, and confusion ended up making him look like a fool. That convinced Trump to let his lawyers try to keep him from testifying.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

If Trump doesn't testify, it feels very unlikely he'll be impeached.  If he does, well...probably not, as the Republicans can retain the whole "he isn't the President any more" argument.  BUT, there's always a non-trivial chance he'll go off the deep end, and further widen the split in the party, even if he doesn't get impeached.  Go back to the phone call to the Georgia secretary of state about the elections...Trump seemingly is incapable of staying on point.  And in a hearing, you *know* Democrats will bait him in the hope that he'll lose it.  

12 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

David Hogg To Compete With MyPillow

Part of me is hoping he succeeds, but honestly--who pays forty to fifty bucks for a pillow?

https://moneywise.com/a/boots-theory-of-socioeconomic-unfairness

Also, people will buy a product just to help a cause they believe in. It happens all the time.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

If Trump doesn't testify, it feels very unlikely he'll be impeached. 

Just to keep all our terms straight: Trump has already been impeached a second time. The House of Representatives submitted a single article of impeachment to the Senate, and did so while Trump was still President. What's up next is his second trial in the Senate.

The difference now is that many Republicans see Donald Trump as a liability to their own political futures, particularly if he's able to run for President again in 2024. Privately many GOP legislators are sick of the man. What I have hope for is that Mitch McConnell would agree to an anonymous vote on conviction, so that any Republican who votes to convict won't be directly targeted by Trump supporters when their reelection comes up. If senators take that tactic I think they'll get the necessary majority.

McConnell can't do it on his own.  There's this rule:

Each House shall keep a Journal of its Proceedings, and from time to time publish the same, excepting such Parts as may in their Judgment require Secrecy; and the Yeas and Nays of the Members of either House on any question shall, at the Desire of one fifth of those Present, be entered on the Journal.

That's not a Congressional rule;  that's in Article I of the Constitution.  

Also, I think overall it's a bad idea from the Republican perspective.  If anyone votes to convict...or at least, past the, what, 3 we expect...then almost every Republican gets tarred with the accusation that he or she voted against His Orangeness.  Fine, Cruz, Hawley, and the others who voted to overturn the election results might be safe, but almost no one else.  To me a secret vote would actually cause the Party to split faster than a recorded vote.

And doing *that* is absolutely not part of McConnell's leadership strategy.

Okay, let's look at this tactically. Once His Orangeness is removed as a threat to the Republican leadership race, the GOP will have at least two, more likely four years to make the electorate forget about him. Right now McConnell effectively controls most of the party; his only opposition, and the only real risk that the party could be divided, is from Trump loyalists. It's to his benefit to render them moot as soon as possible.

As you point out, the Constitution says the Senate may judge whether some parts of their activities be kept secret. I'm sure the Democrats would agree for a practical chance to convict Trump; and McConnell's sway with his party right now could mean that dissenters wouldn't be able to raise the twenty votes needed to make the voting record public.

Trump loyalists may be angry with the Republican Party at first, might even stop registering as Republicans; but in America right now there are only two realistic options, and Trumpists will never vote Democrat.

25 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Trump loyalists may be angry with the Republican Party at first, might even stop registering as Republicans; but in America right now there are only two realistic options, and Trumpists will never vote Democrat.

When push comes to shove, the GOP will run back to Trump.  Most reasonable Republicans have long since left the party, as part of the retirement wave in 2018-2020. 

Assuming a conviction doesn't happen, though, I'm hoping that Trump will be sufficiently annoyed with the GOP to create his own party and run in 2024.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Okay, let's look at this tactically. Once His Orangeness is removed as a threat to the Republican leadership race, the GOP will have at least two, more likely four years to make the electorate forget about him. Right now McConnell effectively controls most of the party; his only opposition, and the only real risk that the party could be divided, is from Trump loyalists. It's to his benefit to render them moot as soon as possible.

As you point out, the Constitution says the Senate may judge whether some parts of their activities be kept secret. I'm sure the Democrats would agree for a practical chance to convict Trump; and McConnell's sway with his party right now could mean that dissenters wouldn't be able to raise the twenty votes needed to make the voting record public.

Look at what happened last week when Schumer let Rand Paul bring a resolution to the floor which would embarrass Republicans into supporting Trump or losing support from his base.

That's bad for the Republican party but great for bolstering Trump himself.

That tells me that Schumer is MUCH more concerned with slamming Republicans than about keeping Trump out of office in the future.

So I wouldn't bet on Schumer leading his caucus into keeping Republican votes secret in exchange for nailing Trump in the trial.

I'd expect exactly the opposite. He'd rather hold open the possibility of Trump screwing up the Republican party in the future than protecting the country against a possible resurgence of Trump.

He might just be THAT short-sighted. Or he could be banking on the various criminal investigations of Trump to keep Trump from winning the presidency next time around. Either way, it's an unnecessary and dangerous gamble, IMO.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

They may not vote Democratic...but they may also not vote.
Think the Georgia Senate runoffs.

Also, the threat is more acute, not in the general election, but in the primaries, where the "betrayers" will face far more resistance than normal.

7 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Was it within Schumer's power to block the resolution being brought to the floor?

Yes. The Democrats run the Senate and he's in charge when VP Harris isn't running things.

The minority party can't bring a resolution to the floor without permission.

2 minutes ago, Darkwing Duck said:

Can anyone give me a numbers-based reason they believe Biden is better than Trump or vice versa?

”Trump is a big, orange doodoo head.” is not numbers-based.

”Trump is ten big, orange doodoo heads,» goes against the spirit of my question.

Biden has 23 million more Twitter followers than Trump. :D 

36 minutes ago, Darkwing Duck said:

Can anyone give me a numbers-based reason they believe Biden is better than Trump or vice versa?

450,000 US Covid deaths - 1/5 of the Global deaths thanks to a non-existent national plan, constant mixed messages, flip-flopping strategies, and embracing pseudo-science.  The Trump Covid response alone is a numbers based reason that almost anyone is better than Trump and that he's one of the worst Presidents ever.

23 minutes ago, Darkwing Duck said:

That’s a good point.  One should never underestimate the value of the 11 - 14 year-old voter.

So that's why Trump lost the 2020 election: he'd become expert at communicating with 11-14 year-olds and neglected communicating with adults!

More seriously, if you want to see the issues that people here have had with Trump, there's literally hundreds of pages of conversation in this thread about it stretching back over the last five years.

The main feature recommending Biden, from my point of view, is that Biden isn't Trump and that Biden isn't actively destroying the Republican party.