Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Hearing more significant Republicans call for Trump to...if not concede, at least allow the transition process to start and let Biden get the briefings.  Problem?  NYT story says they're Bolton...Taylor...Scaramucci...and Kelly.  Guess what they have in common?  They're all former high-ranking officials in Trump's administration...so...you know....traitors.  There's also the governor of Arkansas, but he's still far too much of a lonely voice.

Thing is, these Republicans haven't changed their positions on any policies or priorities. They just recognize that Trump is done. They show no desire to change any of the issues that led to Trump.

53 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

Excellent paragraph here that describes Trump perfectly:

But DeWine's conciliatory efforts, up to and including the "anti-lockdown" stance in accord with the Republican party line, has now proven to be insufficient protection. Loyalty to the supreme leader must be unconditional, and the appropriate response to the 2020 election is to follow Trump's lead, to keep screaming victory in all-caps like a lunatic and shouting words like "fraud" and "rigged" with no evidence attached. 

There is, tho, much worse out there.  From the NYT:

But when Dr. Scott Atlas, President Trump’s coronavirus adviser, wrote on Twitter Sunday night: “The only way this stops is if people rise up. You get what you accept,” Ms. Whitmer said the statement left her “breathless.”

Which darn sure sounds like a high government rep advocating insurrection to me.  

17 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

But DeWine's conciliatory efforts, up to and including the "anti-lockdown" stance in accord with the Republican party line, has now proven to be insufficient protection. Loyalty to the supreme leader must be unconditional, and the appropriate response to the 2020 election is to follow Trump's lead, to keep screaming victory in all-caps like a lunatic and shouting words like "fraud" and "rigged" with no evidence attached. 

Exactly why I don't trust any of these jackals to begin with.

17 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Which darn sure sounds like a high government rep advocating insurrection to me.  

Exactly why I hate these jackals even more than the old ones.

It's almost like they are saying "how dare you not kill and murder for us based on baseless proclamations that 'feel right'."

Maybe this isn't the bus you are waiting for if you ever want to vote again.

So this guy I dropped on social media a couple of months ago for COVID-denialism and other Trump-related shenanigans sent me this meme today via a personal message:

125242810_1324106047935009_6352155942793

And I'm thinking, "Just in time for another round of 'unconstitutional' and 'tyrannical' mask mandates, as well as a fresh new batch of 'Biden stole the election!' conspiracy-theorist bovine scatological material? Yeah, no, that's gonna be a hard pass for me."

Even people I know who generally are agreeable to some measures or are in the danger zone of covid are still suckered by the election conspiracy stories.  Even the ones I explicitly know have been thrown out of court for lack of evidence.  They clearly don't even know that component of them - they're completely subject to a pile of insubstantial rumor without details, so it's impossible to discuss any one because they genuinely lack the detail to disprove any of them.

I personally haven't seen any new local rants against masks;  some of that might be that El Paso is our next-door neighbor.  And there have been related posts, such as passing on that the governor's reinstituted a fairly broad shutdown for the next 2 weeks.  Complaints about the shutdown?  Sure, but that's inevitable.  Shutdowns HURT BADLY, there's no question of that.

12 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I can never remember - is it Trump = Beavis and Mitch McConnell = Butthead, or vice versa?

I think it was Beavis Trump and Butthead Biden or vice versa.😉

This wasn't the most enthusiastic of elections for me🥺

Sorry, for that sudden gloominess, still suffering from the aftermath fatigue.

30 minutes ago, Badger said:

This wasn't the most enthusiastic of elections for me🥺

Sorry, for that sudden gloominess, still suffering from the aftermath fatigue.

I know it's been bad.

I've been a clear doomer as you can tell. 

I'm remarkably sympathetic to your struggles particularly with coronavirus.

But I am wholly not sympathetic even to a few friends of mine.

Because, not to you but to me, I am watching the President of the most powerful country in the world absolutely refuse to acknowledge he lost and tweet relentless conspiracy theories to the end result of apparently trying to incite a civil war to stay in power.

(edit- I'm trying not to be alarmist.  I think this'll get worse, not better, but may take years yet to get there)

I'm perfectly fine entertaining voter fraud scenarios.  But everything he's sharing can unfortunately be easily disproven, as almost none of the actions they've taken in actual court have ever gone anywhere.  The location where you actually need evidence to go forwards.

Even the Dominion software thing is apparently based on OAN claiming a company released a report on the software... that the company itself said "no we did not release any such report".

So am I supposed to say "go ahead president, try to cause a literal civil war based on innuendo alone." 😕

It's been a literal nightmare for me.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

I'm all for a pardon... if he provides evidence to implicate every other corrupt member of the administration.  Between his poor health and the SCOTUS he'll never see the inside of a jail cell anyway.  I'd rather knock down the machine that aided and abetted him.

50 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I'm all for a pardon... if he provides evidence to implicate every other corrupt member of the administration.  Between his poor health and the SCOTUS he'll never see the inside of a jail cell anyway.  I'd rather knock down the machine that aided and abetted him.

That could work. I mean, it's not like he has any particular loyalty to any of them...or indeed, to anyone other than himself.

Loyalty is a thing that underlings have. (To misquote Veronica from Better Off Ted.)

I take a different perspective on the issue of a pardon. What Donald Trump is being prosecuted for in New York has nothing to do with his activities as President. In his election campaign and his capacity as President, Trump used the rhetoric of hatred and fear to deliberately exacerbate divisions within America. He appointed his cronies to positions of authority, lied to the American people on numerous occasions, subverted the law and the Constitution, and abused his power. He did all this for personal gain and to pave the way for an authoritarian regime.

And Trump still nearly succeeded in hoodwinking a majority of Americans into voting him back in. He failed due to his own incompetence and to the timing of a global health crisis. But his approach still netted him great success, which another may be tempted to emulate in future, maybe someone smarter and more capable than Donald Trump. To dissuade the next would-be dictator there needs to be a clear example of severe consequences for trying and failing. And maybe bringing the facts of his actions to light during prosecution might sway at least some of the people under his spell.

I'm not certain that Trump would accept a pardon. It is an admission of guilt. You can't be pardoned unless you've actually broken the law and I don't think that Trump would be willing to admit that he did. That's assuming he actually understands the underlying meaning of a pardon.

Lee