Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

The nomination is nothing more than a PR stunt whose purpose is to distract voters from the ongoing Trump scandals. Currently those are “Losergate”, and the negligent homicide of hundreds of thousands of Americans for political gain, and the sabotage of the Postal Service for political gain. (Bountygate is so last month.)

Here's a thought.

If someone could prove that the Norwegian politician was paid by Trump to make the nomination, would any of us be even slightly surprised?

Is it coincidental that...gee, the guy gets on Fox News to make sure it's publicized???

Yeah, it's a stunt.

On 9/10/2020 at 2:53 PM, ScottishFox said:

You'd never successfully sell the idea that Trump was intentionally trying to kill - in whole or substantial part - America.

Bad judgement call?  Yes.  Attempting to kill off all of America?  Come on, guys, nobody actually believes that. 

There's such a fine line between, "attempting to kill off" and, "not caring if they die," isn't there?

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Here's a thought.

If someone could prove that the Norwegian politician was paid by Trump to make the nomination, would any of us be even slightly surprised?

Is it coincidental that...gee, the guy gets on Fox News to make sure it's publicized???

Yeah, it's a stunt.

From what Cohen (Trump's former lawyer) has said on his book-promotion tour, what Trump does is send out someone to contact one of Trump's friends or supporters. Then the promise is made that if the friend does something on behalf of Trump that Trump will make sure that the favor is more than repaid, either directly or indirectly.

Cohen made it sound like Trump treats his peers as if they were valuable and doesn't stiff them like he does vendors and contractors.

I wouldn't be surprised if the nomination is a quid pro quo, especially considering the timing after the Woodward taped interview excerpts were made public.

2 minutes ago, archer said:

I could use an extra $6/day if anyone is interested. And I'll spend it responsibly on housing and staple foods.

Should I put up a picture of myself with no shirt and a swollen belly? (Or better, a Hawaiian shirt to cover my swollen belly?)

:D 

Out of self defense, the camera will refuse to take the shirtless picture.

Transsexual Satanist Anarchist Wins Republican Nomination

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1463548/transsexual-satanist-anarchist-wins-nomination-new-hampshire-sheriff/

DiMezzo is the High Priestess of the Reformed Satanic Church. Her campaign slogan was "F*** the Police".

She attributes her win to voter stupidity in not researching the candidates and what they stand for.

11 minutes ago, archer said:

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1463548/transsexual-satanist-anarchist-wins-nomination-new-hampshire-sheriff/

DiMezzo is the High Priestess of the Reformed Satanic Church. Her campaign slogan was "F*** the Police".

She attributes her win to voter stupidity in not researching the candidates and what they stand for.

Gods, I hope she wins.  😈

8 hours ago, archer said:

Her analysis certainly seems spot-on.

22 hours ago, archer said:

While still an interesting bit I originally read that as "Transsexual Satanist Arcanist" which would have been even better.

5 hours ago, Tom Cowan said:

There isn't a need to even report on this sort of thing any more. At this point every bad-news story should just automatically end with, "President Trump, of course, made it worse."😞

2 hours ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

And somehow I glanced over it so quickly that I got the impression that she was a stripper? 

Anyway, point is, try harder next time. 

I might be wrong but I believe that stripping is part of the rituals of the Reformed Satanic Church.

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

There isn't a need to even report on this sort of thing any more. At this point every bad-news story should just automatically end with, "President Trump, of course, made it worse."😞

From the point of view of a policy wonk, I'd have to say that it's very important to me to know exactly how Trump made it worse rather than just knowing he has without any additional details.

2 hours ago, archer said:

From the point of view of a policy wonk, I'd have to say that it's very important to me to know exactly how Trump made it worse rather than just knowing he has without any additional details.

I respect that. But I'm now firmly convinced that nearly every policy Trump enacts (if we accept he has any policies other than self-service) is going to make whatever situation worse. Knowing the details would make a difference if any of us could do anything about it, but almost none of us can before election day.