Question about vehicle movement

TheDarkness

Question

This is from Champions Complete, which I understand to be based on 6th edition, forgive me if I put this in the wrong forum.

On page 216 there is a list of example vehicles.

Using the motorcycle example, it says its MOVE(defined in the legend as its combat movement and noncombat multiple) is 56 meters and x4.

Next, it says its MAX(defined in the legend as its maximum meters per turn at noncombat velocity) is 672 meters.

1. I understood combat movement to be per phase, so here, 56 meters/phase. With twelve phases to a turn, this would equate to 56x12=672 meters, which is its non-combat movement per turn. Shouldn't this be multiplied by x4(the non-combat multiple)?

2. The non-combat multiple under the movement section says non-combat movement is twice the combat movement, but I cannot find anywhere in the book that explains the cost of a higher multiple (such as the x4 for the example motorcycle) for vehicles. How does this work?

I haven't played Champions for thirty years, and am starting two games, one super, one pulp/heroic, and although I could just assign the powers to equipment, I'm trying to do the process the way players might have to for each game so that I am more familiar with the ins and outs of the system, as at least one player will undoubtedly try to game the system, and I love destroying his dreams...

1 answer to this question

I didn't write CC, and the author can't answer here, but I'll give the answers that seem correct to me and let Derek Hiemforth contact you directly if I've misunderstood something.

1. Yes, the Noncombat Movement multiplier should've been a part of that calculation; I suspect it's just an error.

2. The cost of extra NCM multiplies is the same for Vehicles as for characters:  5 Character Points per additional x2 multiplier.

Good luck with your new campaign! If you come up with any more questions you know where to reach us. ;)