Cooldown

Steve

Search appears to be disabled right now, so I'm not sure what threads might exist discussing how to set up a cooldown cycle on a power.

I have a power write-up I am working on that involves an ability that takes a little while cooling down after it has maxed out its Time Limit before it can be restarted. I've currently written it up as having both Time Limit and Extra Time, but the Extra Time only affects restarting the ability. The power runs, hits its Time Limit then has a cooldown period before it can be restarted.

Is using a form of Extra Time the best way to do cooldown in Hero terms?

I've seen people try to use Endurance Reserve to simulate this, but it is not really what you are looking for.

Basically 'Extra Time', or another way of naming it 'Pre Time', is forcing a minimum amount of time required between each use of the attack. I would simply rename it 'Post Time' and instead of the time required before the attack can be used, the time required is after each use.

- Christopher Mullins

I have a power write-up I am working on that involves an ability that takes a little while cooling down after it has maxed out its Time Limit before it can be restarted. I've currently written it up as having both Time Limit and Extra Time, but the Extra Time only affects restarting the ability. The power runs, hits its Time Limit then has a cooldown period before it can be restarted.

Is using a form of Extra Time the best way to do cooldown in Hero terms?

Delayed effect combined with extra time is really designed for this kind of effect. Basically it is like spells that you set up ahead of time or a power that requires 5 minutes to recharge. Once they recharge though they are again available at will as a single attack action.

For a cinematic effect like the Confessors Touch from Sword of truth you could add a side effect as endurance drain.

Delayed effect combined with extra time is really designed for this kind of effect. Basically it is like spells that you set up ahead of time or a power that requires 5 minutes to recharge. Once they recharge though they are again available at will as a single attack action.

I second this.  Delayed Effect plus Extra Time will give you exactly what you are looking for.

I'm currently using Extra Time at half-value for the Limitation. In the RAW, you can have Extra Time (only to activate) at half the normal value. It seems even more limiting to have a time delay between activations instead of just for the first activation, but it is less limiting than a time delay every time the power is started so I'm going with the lesser value of the limitation.