[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

That blue line seems to have some black robes protecting it. I guess it would be fitting to call it a Black and Blue line because if you are lucky, they only leave you black and blue. 

La Rose. 

I recommend reading some of the many pieces defense attorney (and former Federal prosecutor) Ken White has written on the subject at Popehat. His pieces are typically very much on the NSFW side of things - usually in a 'have to laugh about it or I'd cry' sort of way. The These 2 seem particularly relevant to your point, if almost entirely devoid of his ascerbic wit:

The Presumption of Truth

Ninth Circuit Recognizes Affirmative Defense of OMGWFT911!!1one!!

On a (mostly) unrelated note, Ken is also a well known First Amendment lawyer, and keeper of the Popehat Signal, which he typically uses to round up pro bono legal help for people facing questionable lawsuits over protected expression - like independent authors being steamrolled by Games Workshop's IP bullying.

That "Presumption of Truth" link is truly disturbing. To think that a police officer who so often violates the rights of citizens and commits felonies and even "took liberties" with someone is allowed to walk the streets a free man much less work as a police officer with all that it affords him is disgusting. This is why I don't trust cops. This BS is why I think we would just be better off doing whole sale firing of all cop and prosecutors and starting fresh. 

La Rose. 

As a former prosecutor, I am utterly horrified.  The scope and willfullness of this injustice is greater than I could have ever considered realistically possible.  How many retrials will be necessary?  Amazing and awful.

The implications of this for historical trials is Horrific.  

There have been several things posted here the last few days that I have had to try to avoid thinking about, as they are just too depressing.  

The officer who got off after shooting "over his shoulder" at a group in an alley, killing one, is the kind of travesty that SHOULD see protests and even riots if necessary.   And remember, I am the one who thinks rioters usually are the BAD guys.  

That "Presumption of Truth" link is truly disturbing. To think that a police officer who so often violates the rights of citizens and commits felonies and even "took liberties" with someone is allowed to walk the streets a free man much less work as a police officer with all that it affords him is disgusting. This is why I don't trust cops. This BS is why I think we would just be better off doing whole sale firing of all cop and prosecutors and starting fresh. 

La Rose. 

Very disturbing, But I think the Attorney General might be even more frightening.  

An earlier article that gives more details of the incident. Really surprised he got off on this one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/09/rekia-boyd-officer-trial_n_7032474.html

talk about two categories under the law...  He did it with an Unregistered Handgun.  In one of the most Anti-Gun cities in the Country.   And that seems to have been swept under the rug with the rest of it. 

COP holds his wife hostage at gunpoint, breaks her leg in three places, attempts to suffocate her   - all in front of an infant she was providing day care fore-  Then CALLS HIS OLDER KIDS while still trying to suffocate her.  His daughter heard her manage a call for help, and sent police, who stopped him.  

He confessed to Domestic violence

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-kill-woman-day-care-breaks-leg-front-infant-jail-time/

Judge sentenced him to 12 months probation!   and it is not even certain whether he will lose his job. 

lets see, kidnapping, unlawful imprisonment, Assault and batter, attempted murder...

12 months probation...

This thread is really making me wonder whether our system can be saved.   

Some of this weirdness has a lot to do with the former mayor, also black.  There's an issue here, but it isn't race.  It is almost certainly corruption.  This from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 1/29/2014.  Things are all kinds of crazy in that little town.

KINLOCH • Darren Small took a folded piece of paper out of his pocket on Tuesday to prove that he had legally reclaimed the mayor’s seat in Kinloch.

The paper contained minutes from an emergency board meeting held over the weekend reinstating Small, who was ousted in October. St. Louis County Judge Steven Goldman had ruled Small forfeited his office by pleading guilty to a felony charge of failing to pay child support.

But Small appealed the decision and on Friday, the Missouri Court of Appeals gave him a stay, pending the outcome of the case.

In its ruling, the appeals court said Small had a “high probability of success.”

The court said according to Missouri law an elected official only forfeits office “upon sentencing.” In Small’s child support case, he received a suspended imposition of sentence in exchange for the guilty plea, meaning he wasn’t sentenced, according to the decision.

The ruling, however, did little to quell the drama that surrounded City Hall in his absence.

After Small was ousted, the city’s aldermanic board appointed Alderwoman Theda Wilson to serve as interim mayor. But then the board suspended her from office in December.

Wilson still claims the title of interim mayor, and said she was never given a reason for her suspension.

On Monday evening, Wilson informed St. Louis County Police she would be giving termination letters to the city manager, all Kinloch police officers and other city staff. Two county police commanders accompanied Wilson to City Hall out of concern that the county might have to take over police services for the municipality, said Lt. Bryan Ludwig.

When Wilson arrived at City Hall with the police officers, she encountered Small. The two got into a heated exchange, but Small provided the county commanders with the appeals court order that put him back into office, along with other city documents.

The officers then left because they had no reason to be there, Ludwig said, adding that it took at least two hours for police on the scene to make sense of the paperwork.

On Tuesday morning, Wilson again tried to shut down City Hall and ask for county police assistance, but this time she was rebuffed because she is not the lawful mayor, Ludwig said.

Wilson also emailed a news release to reporters on Tuesday, saying she would “lock down” City Hall and the police department that afternoon. She had planned on placing chains with padlocks over the doors, she said.

But when Wilson showed up at City Hall a little after 2 p.m., she had rethought her plan.

She said she will focus on running for mayor in the April municipal election.

Meanwhile, Small said, “I’m concentrating on moving the city forward. I don’t have time for this.”

Christine Byers of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.

Some of this weirdness has a lot to do with the former mayor, also black.  There's an issue here, but it isn't race.  It is almost certainly corruption.  This from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 1/29/2014.  Things are all kinds of crazy in that little town.

KINLOCH • Darren Small took a folded piece of paper out of his pocket on Tuesday to prove that he had legally reclaimed the mayor’s seat in Kinloch.

The paper contained minutes from an emergency board meeting held over the weekend reinstating Small, who was ousted in October. St. Louis County Judge Steven Goldman had ruled Small forfeited his office by pleading guilty to a felony charge of failing to pay child support.

But Small appealed the decision and on Friday, the Missouri Court of Appeals gave him a stay, pending the outcome of the case.

In its ruling, the appeals court said Small had a “high probability of success.”

The court said according to Missouri law an elected official only forfeits office “upon sentencing.” In Small’s child support case, he received a suspended imposition of sentence in exchange for the guilty plea, meaning he wasn’t sentenced, according to the decision.

The ruling, however, did little to quell the drama that surrounded City Hall in his absence.

After Small was ousted, the city’s aldermanic board appointed Alderwoman Theda Wilson to serve as interim mayor. But then the board suspended her from office in December.

Wilson still claims the title of interim mayor, and said she was never given a reason for her suspension.

On Monday evening, Wilson informed St. Louis County Police she would be giving termination letters to the city manager, all Kinloch police officers and other city staff. Two county police commanders accompanied Wilson to City Hall out of concern that the county might have to take over police services for the municipality, said Lt. Bryan Ludwig.

When Wilson arrived at City Hall with the police officers, she encountered Small. The two got into a heated exchange, but Small provided the county commanders with the appeals court order that put him back into office, along with other city documents.

The officers then left because they had no reason to be there, Ludwig said, adding that it took at least two hours for police on the scene to make sense of the paperwork.

On Tuesday morning, Wilson again tried to shut down City Hall and ask for county police assistance, but this time she was rebuffed because she is not the lawful mayor, Ludwig said.

Wilson also emailed a news release to reporters on Tuesday, saying she would “lock down” City Hall and the police department that afternoon. She had planned on placing chains with padlocks over the doors, she said.

But when Wilson showed up at City Hall a little after 2 p.m., she had rethought her plan.

She said she will focus on running for mayor in the April municipal election.

Meanwhile, Small said, “I’m concentrating on moving the city forward. I don’t have time for this.”

Christine Byers of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.

So how does elected mayor Betty McCray fit into this small town melodrama?