Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

I have no hope for the Fantastic Four. The Only acceptable version was Roger Corman's that he did for that German Rights holder, a film that never got wide release

Wikipedia states that the film was not officially released. 

So basically you are stating that the Incredibles has more of the essential qualities of the premise of the Fantastic Four than is exhibited in the last two films titled Fantastic Four. 

The last FF film i will grant acknowledgement too. The one before that with The Silver Surfer, I watched so long ago, I can't acknowledge one way or the other. 

FF should be a film about a family that happens to have superpowers, as opposed to a film about superheroes that happen to be related. The Incredibles was the former. 

To me the FF lend themselves much more to an episodic TV format than a feature film, though I’m sure it must be possible to make a successful film. 

To me the FF lend themselves much more to an episodic TV format than a feature film, though I’m sure it must be possible to make a successful film. 

I would love to see them do that, a longer running series (of shorter episodes) that keys into a film for the climax of the story.  There are a lot of comic book characters this would better serve such as Batman.

8 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

There are many problems with Marvel films right no, and it all happened because Bob Eiger and Kevin Feige tossed Ike Permutter out the door, as Perlmutter was the number one Marvel Comics fan. They tossed him, because he would not greenlight a Black Panther Movie.

I have never heard of Ike Perlmutter being a major Marvel Comics fan. I have heard that he's a notorious penny-pincher who tried to squeeze the budgets for Marvel productions for every dollar he could save, so far as to buy the cheapest food for the studio craft tables, and not reusing Marvel movie themes (a common complaint about Phase One and Two Marvel movies) because it worked out to be cheaper to pay for a new score for each one. The reports I read as to why Perlmutter was pushed out of executive direction of Marvel movies, is that Kevin Feige was tired of fighting with Perlmutter over budgets, so went over his head to Bob Iger to get full creative control. Perlmutter remained in charge of Marvel's television division. If you want to see his "love" for the genre, check out the production values for Inhumans.

2 hours ago, mattingly said:

True, unless you consider The Incredibles to be a Fantastic Four film.

It's not, but it is close.  But I see The Fantastic Four, as an Adventuring Family going up against cosmic unknows, more firmly Science Fiction that oh, say, Thor, or Dr. Strange. Yes they have Superpowers, but it's mostly about the places they go, and the gadgets they use (and the interpersonal friction that almost but not quite edges up along side family dysfunction). The Fantastic Four was my Second Comics love, after the DC War comics.

53 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I have never heard of Ike Perlmutter being a major Marvel Comics fan. I have heard that he's a notorious penny-pincher who tried to squeeze the budgets for Marvel productions for every dollar he could save, so far as to buy the cheapest food for the studio craft tables, and not reusing Marvel movie themes (a common complaint about Phase One and Two Marvel movies) because it worked out to be cheaper to pay for a new score for each one. The reports I read as to why Perlmutter was pushed out of executive direction of Marvel movies, is that Kevin Feige was tired of fighting with Perlmutter over budgets, so went over his head to Bob Iger to get full creative control. Perlmutter remained in charge of Marvel's television division. If you want to see his "love" for the genre, check out the production values for Inhumans.

Oh he was a notorious penny pincher, but he was also very much an American Patriot, and also talked a lot with Stan Lee, apparently. His choices for Movies for Marvel to make depended on the Character's popularity, and the Toy sales for his toy company, Playmates.

Namor is one of my all time favorite characters, he's such an arrogant ass but still you have to like, or at least respect him.  And while its not original to the character, making him this hot stud that Sue Storm's head is turned by while geeky and awkward Reed Richards is totally overshadowed by him is a great twist.

Its just going to be tough to make him stand out now that johnny come lately Aquaman basically stole his entire schtick

So pastiche/parody? Reading the Wikipedia page for The Incredibles, the personalities are typical family roles. I see this as being different to the FF. Yes they have a lot in common (family of superheroic sci-fi adventurers) but there have been other adventuring families, mainly without superpowers, and FF is more pulpy whilst The Incredibles are retro-futuristic. Ergo they are as much tangential to each other; same but different.