Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

43 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I haven't seen the movie to comment one way or another, I just wanted to point out the standard.  Its easy to snark at people for noticing inconsistencies or excesses in a fantasy story by scoffing at them for watching fantasy to begin with, but that's not how human psychology and storytelling works.

And who was snarking/scoffing?  The original reviewer?

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

60 mile tall creature

Y'all gettin' the numbers and units wrong. New Rockstars stated that Tiamut was ~311 miles tall, and that only about 8% of his total height emerged above the surface, which is 40km (not 40mi).

Not that this changes the absurdity of it all. The disruption to the Earth's core, its magnetic field, etc. would be catastrophic to say the least.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Compared to the mass of the Earth itself, the mass of a granite mountain 40 miles tall fits firmly in the category of "fiddling small change".

You're overestimating.

40 miles.  Call it a pyramid, 40x40x40.  Volume's about 20,000 cubic miles.  Density is about 3.

The inner core...radius is about 760 miles (Wikipedia).  So volume of just the core is about 1.4 billion cubic miles.  Density is much higher;  it's a nickel-iron core.  Listed as 10+.  

So the mass ratio's on the order of 1 : 240,000.  Just to the inner core, and that's only a tiny fraction of the total mass.  Relative to total mass...if my mental math's right, we're talking less than 1 part in 10 billion.

Another way to look at this....the tectonic plates are about 60 miles thick.  So you haven't even penetrated the bottom of the plates.  

Now, ok, if this was sitting at/near the surface?  Yeah, it'd affect wind patterns over a very large area.  I can see a major desert in its wind shadow, but that'd also depend on its location.  It'd quite possibly create local seismic instabilities...note that you can't just consider the mass, but the moment due to Earth's rotation.

Tiamut was incubated in the center of the Earth, grew to over 300mi tall, and bored his way to the surface. This would not leave the Earth in a structurally viable state. And, in fact, it was never expected to. Planets that incubate new Celestials are always destroyed during their birth.

15 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Shoulda changed Tiamut to water maybe?

Or oxygen?

Not as visually impressive though, I guess.

Maybe not oxygen. Animals and plants die in the face of too much oxygen. Maybe water would be viable but man there would be ocean surges and rain storms like you wouldn't believe.

CES 

In GotG 2 we find out that Ego implanted Earth, and was going to turn it into into a "little Ego".

In Eternals, the earth core is incubating a Celestial. 

Mmm...Marvel Studios screenwriting editorial, can you explain the overlap? Surely Arshiam would have paid Ego a visit and told him to cut it out. Wouldn't this also have prompted the Eternals to intervene has they had known? 

7 hours ago, Grailknight said:

Performances for me. The plot was actually pretty stupid but all the actors were outstanding.

Speaking of performances, The Amazing Spider Man of what I glimpsed on TV never caught my attention but after watching Andrew Garfield’s performance, I’ll check them out. My kids enjoyed it. Daughter have seen it twice now. I’m glad I saw it but just am really meh (but I didn’t let that in with the kids and my buddy who went with and paid for my ticket too!)

On 1/23/2022 at 12:06 PM, zslane said:

Y'all gettin' the numbers and units wrong. New Rockstars stated that Tiamut was ~311 miles tall, and that only about 8% of his total height emerged above the surface, which is 40km (not 40mi).

Not that this changes the absurdity of it all. The disruption to the Earth's core, its magnetic field, etc. would be catastrophic to say the least.

So, our scientific understanding of Earth's core, its magnetic field, etc. was 100% dead-on accurate...except for missing the 300+ mile tall gestating Celestial, of course?  🤐

1 hour ago, Hugh Neilson said:

So, our scientific understanding of Earth's core, its magnetic field, etc. was 100% dead-on accurate...except for missing the 300+ mile tall gestating Celestial, of course?  🤐

I'm prepared to accept that planet-sized aliens who predate the universe transcend present human understanding of physics and cosmology.

14 hours ago, Bazza said:

In GotG 2 we find out that Ego implanted Earth, and was going to turn it into into a "little Ego".

In Eternals, the earth core is incubating a Celestial. 

Mmm...Marvel Studios screenwriting editorial, can you explain the overlap? Surely Arshiam would have paid Ego a visit and told him to cut it out. Wouldn't this also have prompted the Eternals to intervene has they had known? 

Well, there's a few ways to look at this. For one thing, Ego was incognito when he infected all those planets with himself. There was nothing to draw attention to his activities until he activated his Expansion. Ego also considered himself alone, a unique immortal entity. It doesn't sound like he was even aware the Celestials existed, so they may have been unaware that he existed either.

However, it does raise some interesting thoughts that Ego referred to himself as a "celestial."

Well, I got Eternals through a special promotional deal.

I've made it to the where Ajack talks to the big rock dude with red glowing flame pit eyes and is basically told not to think and just do her job.

But I tell you, it has been a slog.  I may try to endure a little more tonight if I can't find anything more interesting than paint drying.

I cannot understand how they put this out without a test audience.