Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, no doubt.

But as always, Disney is the last to grab a seat at the table. They were the last to VHS, the last to DVD, and now the last to streaming. They like to wait for others to pave the way and mainstream a new media format before diving in themselves. Moreover, Disney has always hated the idea that you could own your own copy of their movies and watch them whenever you want. That's why they are absolutely drooling over digital streaming; they get to control what you watch and when it is available (by being in control of the source/storage of the content). Streaming is giving them the absolute control that DivX could not.

18 minutes ago, zslane said:

Yeah, no doubt.

But as always, Disney is the last to grab a seat at the table. They were the last to VHS, the last to DVD, and now the last to streaming. They like to wait for others to pave the way and mainstream a new media format before diving in themselves. Moreover, Disney has always hated the idea that you could own your own copy of their movies and watch them whenever you want. That's why they are absolutely drooling over digital streaming; they get to control what you watch and when it is available (by being in control of the source/storage of the content). Streaming is giving them the absolute control that DivX could not.

And you can bet when Copyrights start to expire , they'll try to pull another extension

Disney, along with all the media conglomerates, have spent many years and untold millions of dollars lobbying for and getting the changes to Copyright law necessary to guarantee that their IP never goes into the public domain. Since all of their properties are listed as created and owned by the corporation, "75 years after creator's death" is meaningless unless the corporation itself dissolves without passing its rights onto another corporate entity. Some people might call it ironic, but I call it hypocritical that companies like Disney gleefully profit off the vast stores of public domain creations out there while at the same time seeing to it that their own creations never become accessible to the broader culture in the same way.

On further thought, I think Marvel had better get some Chinese-from-China people on board very early in the development process.  Crazy Rich Asians, a groundbreaking Asian-American film, crashed and burned in China, where people could not care less about the culture clash between Asian-Americans and their parents/grandparents.

Honestly, this one's going to be really tricky to write.  Possibly trickier than BP.

I agree with Grace Randolph that someone like Donnie Yen is probably too old for the role, but not too old to play his father (which is a key role in Shang Chi's backstory). There's also the question of which incarnation of the character we're going to get. Are we going to get the Bruce Lee clone who is merely a master of Kung Fu, or the more contemporary version who can make duplicates of himself, Jamie Madrox style?

I like much of what I see of the trailer, but the acting on Brie's part seems flat. I don't know if that's deliberate in a 'she's lost her humanity and is playing muted emotions and will get it back' or not, but it dims what would be an otherwise promising trailer.

On the other hand, Skrulls!

:)

4 minutes ago, Hermit said:

I like much of what I see of the trailer, but the acting on Brie's part seems flat. I don't know if that's deliberate in a 'she's lost her humanity and is playing muted emotions and will get it back' or not, but it dims what would be an otherwise promising trailer.

That take on her characterization is my guess, as well. I've yet to be disappointed in the casting of any of Marvel's lead actors, so I remain hopeful.

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

This might alleviate some fear.

Brie Larsen: "I will say that this character is probably the most dynamic character that I’ve ever played, there’s the most range. As of now, and we’ll see what the movie is, but as of now, it’s been the most range I’ve ever played in a character. From I’ve had to go through every emotion possible with her."

From here:

https://www.slashfilm.com/brie-larson-interview-captain-marvel/

I am very much looking forward to this movie, but I can't escape the feeling that this latest trailer is trying just a little too hard to make her look kewl. Part of the problem is that all the high-energy superpowered action lacks context. But in addition to that, Brie's voice and dialogue delivery just doesn't fit my internal notion of "badass warrior chick".

I nevertheless remain cautiously hopeful.