Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

Some big time actors like Will Smith have script guys that come in and write him lines, or alter lines to make it sound "more like him."

But playing Captain America is not really any difference than playing James Bond or Jason Bourne.  Its a character with a story arc, not one that ends up with them significantly changed, but an interesting role in its own right.  That was kind of the flaw with Age of Ultron: Whedon had his big story to tell about angst and facing demons to become a better person, when he was supposed to be doing a fun Avengers movie.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those two priorities aren't necessarily mutually exclusive in a movie, though. Civil War amply demonstrates that. And FWIW I thought Whedon accomplished that in AoU a lot better than many people seem to give him credit for.

I see a lot of folks comparing CW to the first Avengers movie, but the former wouldn't exist without the latter. What Joss Whedon did in that movie had never been done before, and many were the nay-sayers who said it couldn't be done. Whedon demonstrated how it could be, and the Russo brothers built on his example.

Some big time actors like Will Smith have script guys that come in and write him lines, or alter lines to make it sound "more like him."

Which is why almost all Will Smith characters sound exactly the same, variations on a theme, regardless of story and other character considerations. He rarely steps out of that "I am Will Smith" role.

Sometimes the Actor really does need to lose themselves in the writers vision. Good ones can.

In an interview last year, Brie Larson seemed genuinely delighted with the (misunderstood) prospect of playing a gender-bent Captain America. She seemed a little less excited when it was explained that the role was Captain Marvel (not Capt. America) and that it would be female, but she still seemed game. It sure looks like she (correctly) regards landing a franchise role with Marvel as "the big time."

Unlike many, I don't have a particuar actress that I'd like to see in the role. However, I would love to see the character become as popular as Iron Man and become a new pop culture icon.

Those two priorities aren't necessarily mutually exclusive in a movie, though. Civil War amply demonstrates that. And FWIW I thought Whedon accomplished that in AoU a lot better than many people seem to give him credit for.

I see a lot of folks comparing CW to the first Avengers movie, but the former wouldn't exist without the latter. What Joss Whedon did in that movie had never been done before, and many were the nay-sayers who said it couldn't be done. Whedon demonstrated how it could be, and the Russo brothers built on his example.

I thought Whedon did a good job too, and in many ways it lead directly to Tony Stank's role in CW.

I also liked that they addressed what happened at the end of IM3, where he destroyed all the suits.

Which is why almost all Will Smith characters sound exactly the same, variations on a theme, regardless of story and other character considerations.

When he does, it is great, like in I Am Legend.  But yeah, he has his Will Smith character that's the same through most of his films.

I would love to see the character become as popular as Iron Man and become a new pop culture icon. 

I find Captain Marvel kind of boring, so I hope they can write her into an interesting persona.  when the original (Marvel) one died, I was indifferent; meh, Rick Jones' buddy.  Not very interesting.

I thought Whedon did a good job too, and in many ways it lead directly to Tony Stank's role in CW.

Which reminds me--it's sad but Stan Lee needs to stop doing cameos.  He's become too recognizable, and it's distracting when the whole theater erupts in cheers when he appears on screen.

JOSH BROLIN PROMISES THANOS VS. 'EVERYBODY' IN INFINITY WAR

http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/06/08/josh-brolin-promises-thanos-vs-everybody-in-infinity-war

"Basically, my character against everybody," he said. "And it's really fun what they've chosen to do with the story."

"I think it's brilliant, personally," Brolin told Moviefone recently. "I was blown away, and had goose pimples pretty much 50 percent of the time that I was listening to what was going on."